Bond 25 Director

Comments

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Saw Anthropoid, the climatic gun battle was indeed masterfully done and very visceral, just wish Ellis didn't shoot in close-ups for most of the film.

I noticed that also. It was a different use of the wide 'scope frame; kind of put you in the room with them, but sometimes a little less is more. Anthropoid was actually shot on 16mm film. The grainier image gave it more of a documentary look like old color footage taken during the war. The question that always comes up with these directors who produce very well crafted smaller films is can they handle a huge scale production like a Bond film.
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I think the tradition of using British (and Australian/NZ) directors should continue. There are after all many directors who are more than capable.

Australian? :v
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Comments in another thread made me think it's really time a woman had a chance to direct a Bond film. The men in large part, especially if they're Gen-X, seem to think Bond is all about the big set pieces, with some thin and cliched emotional padding to bring sentimentality to the film. I wonder if there might be better insight into the emotional ramifications if a woman directed the film, the same way Barbara Broccoli saw something in Craig that so many -- seeming all or mostly men -- completely missed.
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Comments in another thread made me think it's really time a woman had a chance to direct a Bond film. The men in large part, especially if they're Gen-X, seem to think Bond is all about the big set pieces, with some thin and cliched emotional padding to bring sentimentality to the film. I wonder if there might be better insight into the emotional ramifications if a woman directed the film, the same way Barbara Broccoli saw something in Craig that so many -- seeming all or mostly men -- completely missed.

Katherine Bigelow, despite being American, would be a perfect choice not just for a woman but a perfect choice period. She is a great action director, but even more importantly, she directs action "thrillers" which are filled with suspense. It doesn't get much better than "The Hurt Locker" and "Zero Dark Thirty". She is also known for being able to create films that look much bigger than their relatively modest budgets.
  • MarcAngeDracoMarcAngeDraco Piz GloriaPosts: 564MI6 Agent
    If we're going for female directors, I'd like to see Susanne Bier direct a Bond film. Of course, this is off the back of her work on The Night Manager, which was nothing short of excellent.
    Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery
  • perdoggperdogg Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    Tomas Alfredson
    "And if I told you that I'm from the Ministry of Defence?" James Bond - The Property of a Lady
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    If we're going for female directors, I'd like to see Susanne Bier direct a Bond film. Of course, this is off the back of her work on The Night Manager, which was nothing short of excellent.
    The Night Manager was the closest thing to a Fleming novel I've ever seen filmed, with the possible exception of Notorious.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,573Chief of Staff
    I see Guy Ritchie has been heavily linked (in the press) as the next director...
    YNWA 97
  • double o egodouble o ego Posts: 93MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I think the tradition of using British (and Australian/NZ) directors should continue. There are after all many directors who are more than capable.

I think it's a rather outdated and silly tradition that only serves to sideline a wealth of talent that could really bring in fresh and innovative ideas and techniques the Bond films are in desperate need of. Someone like Alfonso Cuaron, a Mexican who's a brilliant film maker and incidentally made the best Harry Potter film would be a brilliant choice to direct a Bond film but knowing EoN, they're likely going to stay within their comfort zone and give us yet another subpar movie.
  • OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 584MI6 Agent
    Tradition has already been broken once: Marc Forster is German.
    "I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Yes, forget tradition. Just get the best man ( or woman) for the job. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    More often than not, I imagine a white, heterosexual, male, British director will be the best man for the job, but every now and then, someone will pop up who doesn't fit that category who will deserve to direct a Bond film, and do a damn good job of it. So it shouldn't be a set in stone tradition, but it shouldn't be ignored, either.

And I still think Susanne Bier would do a superb job.
    Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery
    IMO, the nationality, gender, etc of the director in this modern era is not really as important. Back in the 60's, societies were more insular and not as educated or aware of other cultures....and of course gender roles are not as defined as they once were. I just want a very good director. If it came down to a gifted non-Commonwealth director vs a hack who happened to be British, I'd go with the talent. As far as a non-British Bond actor is concerned, I would like to see the role continue in the hands of a British, Australian, etc but there's no reason to believe that an actor of another background (provided they can pull off a Meryl Streep quality Brit accent) couldn't get the job done if they possesed all the right Bond qualities.
  • ml94ml94 FinlandPosts: 79MI6 Agent
    edited October 2016
    Is Martin Campbell too old to come back?
    "Bond, James Bond"
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    ml94 wrote:
    Is Martin Campbell too old to come back?

I believe so and hope so.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Considering he has recently wrapped shooting an action comedy at the moment with Brosnan and Jackie Chan, I don't think he's too old.

I'd welcome Martin Campbell's return if the film is akin to GE in look and feel. Out of GE and CR, the former curiously reflects Bond as Fleming intended, though in a modern age. It looks like a European thriller and Eric Serra's score accentuates post-Cold War Europe with its industrial sound.
  • angelicbondangelicbond Posts: 194MI6 Agent
    Here is an interview with Buffy/Angel/Firefly creator Joss Whedon saying he would like to do a James Bond movie (it's near the end of the interview.)

http://uk.complex.com/pop-culture/2016/10/joss-whedon-interview

I'm a huge fan of Whedon's, but I can't picture a Bond movie directed by him...and especially not written by him. Return of the quip for sure!
    Instagram: mybudgetbond
    Twitter: @mybudgetbond1
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,230MI6 Agent
    I would be very happy if Joss Whedon got the job. I really enjoy Buffy The Vampire Slayer and I think that he is a really creative writer and director. As for Martin Campbell coming back again, I recall an interview with him around the time Skyfall was hitting cinemas and he said that he felt that two movies was enough for him. He said that amount of time and resources that the James Bond series takes to make a movie is a little overwhelming at times and this point in his life he feels like does have anything new to offer in the creative department.
  • BroccoliBroccoli Posts: 253MI6 Agent
    Too much of a feminist I'm afraid.
  • Agent LeeAgent Lee Posts: 254MI6 Agent
    I admire a lot of Joss Whedon's work, but I don't think he's the right man for the job. Directing Bond requires a certain world weary elegance and style that Whedon doesn't have. Also, I think he'd approach a lot of the formulaic material with too much of a wink at the audience.
    Wish I Was at Disneyland, podcast about Disneyland, Disney news, Disney movies, Star Wars, and life in Southern California.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wish-i-was-at-disneyland/id1202780413?mt=2
  • OakvaleOakvale Pennsylvania Posts: 155MI6 Agent
    Joss Whedon is a completely wrong fit for a Bond movie.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    I've never liked anything that Whedon has done. I think he's severely overrated.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    edited February 2017
    I like alot Whedon has done, but I don't think he's right for directing Bond.
  • Agent LeeAgent Lee Posts: 254MI6 Agent
    Clearly quite a few of us don't approve of Whedon to direct Bond...but IF you had to pick an American director, who would it be?
    Wish I Was at Disneyland, podcast about Disneyland, Disney news, Disney movies, Star Wars, and life in Southern California.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wish-i-was-at-disneyland/id1202780413?mt=2
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Agent Lee wrote:
    Clearly quite a few of us don't approve of Whedon to direct Bond...but IF you had to pick an American director, who would it be?

Clint flippin' Eastwood {:) Ron Howard. Tarantino. Spielberg. De Palma. Me :D

Seriously...that said, I agree that Brits really should do it. Find a promising young talent, and push him to brilliance. Ultimately, I think a marquee Brit will helm #25.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    Agent Lee wrote:

Clint flippin' Eastwood {:)

Good choice, though I think we're sure B-) out of luck there. Still, it would make my day if that could be enforced. (I could make a fistful more good, bad and ugly puns but I think I'd be unforgiven).
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Agent Lee wrote:

Clint flippin' Eastwood {:)

Good choice, though I think we're sure B-) out of luck there. Still, it would make my day if that could be enforced. (I could make a fistful more good, bad and ugly puns but I think I'd be unforgiven).

Eastwood has said he has no interest in the spy genre and only made The Eiger Sanction in order to get out of his contract with Universal, who he felt had mishandled the marketing of his first two films.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    True, but less fun.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I'd like to suggest Frank Darabont as director of a future Bond film. I think his direction of The Shawshank Redemption is masterful and he does a great job on the pilot episode of The Walking Dead.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Let me be the first to say this to you after your return: you're wrong. :D
    The Bond directors should be British (or at a stretch Commonwealth), but not American. It's tradition.