The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    MEP = Member of the European Parlament?
    I have to admit I've never noticed that one before.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Like I said, the EU has problems when it comes to the seperation between people and power because of the size.complexity and bauracracy of the EU. Saying the system isn't democratic at all is clearly wrong, something the Brexit vote proves. There is obviously free press too. The right-wing populists have risen in popularity in most EU states lately, and that's refelected in the EU Parliament.

Yes, the EU pays lip service to the concept of democracy, that is true. As I said before, the European Parliament is the least powerful body in the EU and in fact had no real power at all until the Single European Act 1986.

As it's the only truly democratic part of the EU the fact it has the least power and influence of all the institutions tells you all you need to know about any claims the EU has to be democratic. They are hollow claims.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    MEP = Member of the European Parlament?
    I have to admit I've never noticed that one before.

Correct, it's an abbreviation of that. I had the misfortune of having to study two modules of substantive EU law at university as part of my Masters in Law conversion course. I was always anti-EU but an in-depth study of its legal system made me even more so.

Look up a series of cases called Factortame to see why the UK had such a raw deal when it came to the EU and the ECJ. In it he ECJ ruled that part of the UK Merchant Shipping Act 1988 was unlawful according to the EC (as it then was) doctrine of supremacy. In effect that case overruled a law passed in a sovereign parliament. That was just one good reason why the UK needed to leave the EU.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Number24 wrote:
    Like I said, the EU has problems when it comes to the seperation between people and power because of the size.complexity and bauracracy of the EU. Saying the system isn't democratic at all is clearly wrong, something the Brexit vote proves. There is obviously free press too. The right-wing populists have risen in popularity in most EU states lately, and that's refelected in the EU Parliament.

Yes, the EU pays lip service to the concept of democracy, that is true. As I said before, the European Parliament is the least powerful body in the EU and in fact had no real power at all until the Single European Act 1986.

As it's the only truly democratic part of the EU the fact it has the least power and influence of all the institutions tells you all you need to know about any claims the EU has to be democratic. They are hollow claims.

I think you make good points, but your conclutions are exagerated.
    You wrote that the EU can't be compared to the USSR, but it can be compared to other dictatorships. Can you give examples?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think the main point of the EU being like the USSR. Is the
    Loss of power for individual countries, leading to
    Unelected bureaucrats making the rules.
    Thankfully it won't be a problem for us much longer. :))
    I read that Trump poked fun at Junker at his latest rally.
    Along with an Italian MEP saying that he wouldn't discuss
    Anything with Junker, as he doesn't talk to drunks. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Of course a country gives away quite a lot of power to EU organs when they join. This is known when they join, at least up to a point.

Countries joined the USSR only by military occupation. The lowest estimate of USSR citizens killed by the regime is nine million, there are estimates far higher then that. How many EU citizens has the EU killed, down the nearest million? :))
    The Soviet Union used large KGB forces to stop people from leaving and shot people who where caught trying. The EU must control their borders to stop people getting in.
    The USSR was under heavy press censureship, including using scramblers to stop radio broadcasts from beyond their borders bringing information. EU countries are routinely ranked among countries with the highest level of press freedom.

I understand you are comparing the USSR and the EU because it's not easy leaving both. I'd say the citizens of the Baltic states and Chechenya who had citizens killed in the early 1990's, not to mention tens of thousands in the Baltics and the Ukraine who fought and died in the years after WWII for their independence from the USSR will feel very sorry for people who try to get independence from the EU.

I understand there are problems with the EU, but that comparison is at best silly.
    I have no strong feelings about it, as it is only an analogy ;)

On a totally different subject .....
    I did Enjoy Theresa May's speech, a few good jokes and she looked
    Very relaxed. I also think she has successfully killed off any
    Attempt to replace her with Boris.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    It was certainly a better performance than last year, not to mention better dancing than she did in Africa. :D
    :)) I think she's had lessons :))
    And now to something completely different.....

The Nobel Peace Prize winner will be made public on Friday.
    Just like last year I hope the winner will be Edward Snowden or someone working against sexual violence against women in war.

I don't think or hope Trump will win for Korea. If it leads to something solid in the future I wouldn't be against it, but so far Trump has given NK far more than NK has given up.
    This is a crazy, mixed up world .... I honestly wouldn't
    Be surprised if Trump won :#
    I would be very surprised if Trump wins this year. But if they manage to get a peace treat in Korea (only about sixty years late) and hopefully a de-nuclearization there will have to be one or more Nobels awarded to this. Since the Nobel comitee gave Obama for giving great speeches I think they have painted themselves into a corner and would have to give Trump a prize if this happened.
    If it works out, then I wouldn't begrudge Trump and Kim getting
    An award.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/mccain-uk-chips-tweet-theresa-may-conference-speech-a8567241.html
    Odd story: McCain ( the frozen food company ) attacked T May's
    Speech on Twitter before quickly removing it ?
    Number24 wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

I think you make good points, but your conclutions are exagerated.
    You wrote that the EU can't be compared to the USSR, but it can be compared to other dictatorships. Can you give examples?

Well, what I meant there was that it was more based on fascist top-down governing than it was on communism. That's how I view what the EU has evolved into anyhow.
    The Soviet system wasn't top down?
    Number24 wrote:
    The Soviet system wasn't top down?

It was too, of course, although it gave the false impression that its power came from the people. I suppose that you could say that the EU has authoritarian aspects, without going into particular ideologies. Those aspects could apply to both fascism and communism. We don't need to split hairs on that.

A retired economics professor I know was saying to me recently that (as a fellow Leave voter) he though that the EU was like ancien regime Europe. You can take your pick. The one solid thing you'll come away with is that it is not a very democratic institution. If it was the European Parliament would surely have much more power.
    edited October 2018
    I agree the European Parliament should have more power and the should have less power. Comminism and fascism has nothing to do with how it works (or doesn't work).
    edited October 2018
    I think a Peace Prize to someone who fight for the freedom of the press will be very apt. The freedom of press (a core value in a democracy) is under attack in many countries like Russia, Hungary, Turkey and sadly the United States.
    Sadly the Prize is no guarantee that a winner will not go on to
    Imprision journalists themselves like Aung San Suu Kyi X-(
    Humans will be fallible, but I think it's good that we once a year celebrate those who have made an effort to make the world a little better. Some of the winners will disapoint us, the only way to avoid that risk is to only give it to dead people.
    For too many years the dead have been overlooked in awards, I think we
    need a #MeDead, after all " Just because you're dead, doesn't mean you
    can't be useful "

I have a heartfelt personal dislike of Aung San Suu Kyi, I feel betrayed,
    and taken in by the evil witch X-(
    Me too.
    https://news.sky.com/story/meng-hongwei-head-of-interpol-reported-missing-by-his-wife-11518044
    The head of Interpol has gone missing ? This is odd as it
    Follows on from a Chinese actress who disappeared for
    A few months, before reappearing ?
    The chinese actress had about one and a half billion of unpaid tax, so that's not really politics.
    The missing Interpol head is more interesting. It sounds like it could be taken from an Garner or Benson continuation novel, don't you think?
    Just wondering, is it normal in Norway in a tax enquiry to have a citizen " Disappear" for
    a few months ? :D
    No, it isn't. Then again, it's very rare to have 1.5 billion tax claim you can't pay.
    There are some differences between Norway and China. Here there is a lot of trust between the state and the people. Smart people in China know the state can and will kill you like we kill files.
    The penal system in China is also "a bit" more severe among the Celestials.
    Good to know ;) and I think you know I was only joking. -{
    Here is a fact I find interesting as a Bond fan:
    A couple of weeks one of the richest men in Norway went bankrupt. His fortune was made buying and selling on the international energy marker and he gambled too much and wrong. But the media has only one photo of him, and it's a grainy black and white photo!
    This would have been difficult in the 1950's, but today I would have though it impossible.
    Makes you think about Bond villans, right?
    edited November 2018
    Number24 wrote:
    Here is a fact I find interesting as a Bond fan:
    A couple of weeks one of the richest men in Norway went bankrupt. His fortune was made buying and selling on the international energy marker and he gambled too much and wrong. But the media has only one photo of him, and it's a grainy black and white photo!
    This would have been difficult in the 1950's, but today I would have though it impossible.
    Makes you think about Bond villans, right?

Yes, the film version of Scaramanga comes to mind. "No photograph on file."

Also, Vladimir Scorpius in John Gardner's Scorpius (1988).
This discussion has been closed.