Some different box office analysis

2»

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent

As I said time and time again, the main reason for the Bond films making less and less since MR was the declining interest in Bond in the eighties. That had little to do with Dalton, no matter who would have played Bond in 1987 and 1989, the result would have been the same.

and suddenly like Jack In the Box, the interest spiked up with GE?

giphy.gif

After 7!!! years?
    It would be logic that after 7 years of absence, the interest would have even cooled down more!
    And it had nothing to do with the main actor?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Of course it had to do with the competition, it could have made some 30 to 40 million more at the BO easily

fca892b1e23800f937f91d705f303faa2fbedfc3f6cf342aefc3397ce1184ab6.jpg
    giphy.gif

• MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    Don't get me wrong, decline in interest during the decade also played a part. As much as I love four out of the five films released in the 80's, how many are fondly remembered by people? Everybody knows about the Connery films of the 60s, the Moore films of the 70s....Bond had become, to the average viewer, tired by the 80s.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    Are you putting that much energy in a positive opinion about something Bond as well or are you just grumpy all the time because Agatha beats you regularly at Bridge?
    Dalton Rulez™
    Oh, it's just the glorification of Dalton with outrageous explanations that gets me started.

We are seeing this regularly and it doesn't get less annoying to me :p

I accepted all other actors and have a long record defending Roger Moore and his take. There is a lot of beauty in his movies and it's not only his Bond girls ;)

And I have no problem losing bridge against Agatha, if I'd lose against our unwanted visitor in the guesthouse, that'd drive me nuts!

I almost thought I am your Thomas Magnum :D but then I will defend Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan to my death bed as well.

The only glorification going on with Bond fans in my humble opinion is about Daniel "as good as Connery 8-) " Craig and bloody Skyfall.
    Dalton Rulez™
    I almost thought I am your Thomas Magnum :D b.

unless you are wearing short pants??

Craig is better than Connery :p but I agree that SF is overrated.

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    The only glorification going on with Bond fans in my humble opinion is about Daniel "as good as Connery 8-) " Craig and bloody Skyfall.

That's not as bad as those who claim he's better than Connery. Even Roger Moore has shown more range as Bond than Craig has. Craig has helped me better appreciate all of the other Bonds. Craig's popularity will surely go down once there's a new Bond. I haven't forgotten how popular Brosnan was at the time he was Bond.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    :)) :)) :))

I was just throwing something in the fan, Matt :D :D :D

I've not forgotten how well received Brosnan was and as I was an extra for 2 days in Hamburg, he's been around a lot and I can only say the best of him. :D

I grew up with Sir Roger and Connery leaves me relatively cold. I mean, Dalton really annoys me - Connery only leaves me cold ;)

Matt S wrote:

That's not as bad as those who claim he's better than Connery. Even Roger Moore has shown more range as Bond than Craig has. Craig has helped me better appreciate all of the other Bonds. Craig's popularity will surely go down once there's a new Bond. I haven't forgotten how popular Brosnan was at the time he was Bond.

+1
    Dalton Rulez™
    Higgins wrote:

I was just throwing something in the fan, Matt :D :D :D

I've not forgotten how well received Brosnan was and as I was an extra for 2 days in Hamburg, he's been around a lot and I can only say the best of him. :D

I grew up with Sir Roger and Connery leaves me relatively cold. I mean, Dalton really annoys me - Connery only leaves me cold ;)

Moore is my man and I'm will always be. I can see how Dalton annoys you, but he doesn't annoy me. Craig's emotionless delivery is what leaves me cold. And the fact that a James Bond can leave me cold annoys me!
    Can you also see WHY Dalton annoys me, Matt?

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    It's Impossible to explain a Mania ! :p
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I love all five Bond actors, Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan almost equally with Dalton being the clear favourite of mine.
    Dalton Rulez™
    I love all five Bond actors, Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan almost equally with Dalton being the clear favourite of mine.

So Craig doesn't even count as a Bond actor to you?
    edited June 2017
    Higgins wrote:
    Can you also see WHY Dalton annoys me, Matt?

Since you're a fan of Craig, I see you don't like your Bonds showing much emotion.
    Matt S wrote:

So Craig doesn't even count as a Bond actor to you?

Overall Craig doesn't do much for me. He is not much of an actor imo, he is good at physical stuff, running, sweating, looking exhausted or just have his one facial expression. There are traces of great acting in all of the films in some few scenes.

He hasn't been a proper Bond until SPECTRE and there only because he finally didn't try to be Connery anymore at which he failes miserably but evoked the best of Moore and Brosnan, that worked much better in his favour and I like Craig overall quite a bit in SPECTRE.

Having said that, both CR and SP are in my upper half of the ranking. SPECTRE is the first real 100% Bond film of the current era and I loved it from start to finish. It's my No 7 in my ranking, CR is No 12. CR not because of Craig, but because the film is beautifully shot and directed, the story holds up, at least to before Venice. The ensemble cast saves Craig imo.
    QOS and SF are on the bottom.

I am not really partial to any actor, Dalton was my first and therefore he always will be "my Bond".

For me the films are what count. In my Top 7 all 6 actors are represented.

OHMSS
    GE
    TLD
    TSWLM
    GF
    DN
    SP

same for the bottom 6 of my ranking which is made of 4 Bond actors. Connery, Moore, Brosnan, Craig
    Dalton Rulez™
    Matt S wrote:

Since you're a fan of Craig, I see you don't like your Bond's showing much emotion.

• heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Don't get me wrong, decline in interest during the decade also played a part. As much as I love four out of the five films released in the 80's, how many are fondly remembered by people? Everybody knows about the Connery films of the 60s, the Moore films of the 70s....Bond had become, to the average viewer, tired by the 80s.

100% agreed {[]

The films people remember are the uber-entertaining ones, the ones that generate the "feeling" that Bond is what they want him to be. Whether us fans like that or not.

The tone from AVTAK onwards was not what general audiences wanted. While the 80s films have tight plots, good acting and good storytelling, they fail to deliver the expectation that Bond is super-human and fully entertaining. OP delivered the best result in the US market for all the 80s films, why? Because it was fun, an adventure.

The decline was generated by competition, the tiredness (as you say MF), the hard/harsh direction and Dalton being the wrong choice. But then again, the decline may have just been inevitable with 30 years of continual films...
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    The films people remember are the uber-entertaining ones, the ones that generate the "feeling" that Bond is what they want him to be. Whether us fans like that or not.

The tone from AVTAK onwards was not what general audiences wanted.... decline may have just been inevitable with 30 years of continual films...

TLD's relative lack of box office success was a combination of the tone, as you rightly point out Heartbroken_mr_drax, plus John Glen's increasingly pedestrian direction, formulaic plots, and - imo - weaknesses in the way Dalton was portrayed and in his slightly 'thespian' acting.

As Fleming pointed out, Bond is what every man would like to be. I didn't get that from Dalton. The PTS of TLD was fantastic - brilliant introduction to the new Bond - but it was not backed up enough by the rest of the film. It wasn't until Goldeneye that I started grinning like a buffoon again (my normal resting face) and I left the cinema wanting to be Bond again - surely down to Campbell's direction and Brosnan's charm.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

The tone from AVTAK onwards was not what general audiences wanted.... decline may have just been inevitable with 30 years of continual films...

TLD's relative lack of box office success was a combination of the tone, as you rightly point out Heartbroken_mr_drax, plus John Glen's increasingly pedestrian direction, formulaic plots, and - imo - weaknesses in the way Dalton was portrayed and in his slightly 'thespian' acting.

As Fleming pointed out, Bond is what every man would like to be. I didn't get that from Dalton. The PTS of TLD was fantastic - brilliant introduction to the new Bond - but it was not backed up enough by the rest of the film. It wasn't until Goldeneye that I started grinning like a buffoon again (my normal resting face) and I left the cinema wanting to be Bond again - surely down to Campbell's direction and Brosnan's charm.

I can agree with that in general. But not everyone feels the same. Dalton was quite popular as Bond in my high school and college years. I believe my generation embraced him and welcomed him with open arms.
    After TLD I wanted to be HIM. He was my new hero and idol. LTK though, didn't do much to enforce that, but it certainly didn't stop it either.

Brosnan of course was a real game changer in GoldenEye, something that hasn't been achieved since and probably only will again with a new 7th Bond actor. Hopefully.
    Dalton Rulez™
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,255MI6 Agent
    And this goes to prove that you can't please all the people all the time because in my opinion Brosnan is the worst Bond of all - to me he looked like he was PRETENDING to be Bond.

Dalton is superb though -{ -{ -{
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    And this goes to prove that you can't please all the people all the time because in my opinion Brosnan is the worst Bond of all - to me he looked like he was PRETENDING to be Bond.

Tastes differ and thankfully so.

What you feel about Brosnan I feel about Craig :)

I'm happy Dalton gets so much love on this forum -{ -{ (looking at you @Higgins) :))
    Dalton Rulez™
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I've enjoyed the tenure of all the Bond actors.
    With three in particular ( only my opinion ) standing
    Out as Bringing the literary Bond to the screen.
    Connery, Craig and Dalton. -{ Moore stands out as he
    Took the character and changed it to suit his own style.
    Sadly Lazenby did a great job but with only one film, It's
    Difficult to really judge him.
    Brosnan, I find a light weight actor, but with Bond I do
    Think he brought his A game, giving his best, but was let
    Down with some bad scripts.
    Although given my mood. I can easily watch Moonraker
    Followed by QOS :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent

Tastes differ and thankfully so.

What you feel about Brosnan I feel about Craig :)

I'm happy Dalton gets so much love on this forum -{ -{ (looking at you @Higgins) :))

TLD is my 4th favourite film and despite LTK's uneven tone - I rate Dalton better than Craig. I admire his performance in LTK and I love his performance in TLD. He's also very handsome in TLD, has great chemistry with Kara and just fits in with the Moore transition style well.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • Mr_OsatoMr_Osato Posts: 398MI6 Agent

Have to agree with this. Dalton probably portrayed Bond the way Fleming described him in the books in the best way. However, that does not necesarrily work that well on the big screen, at least not for the mass audience.

I do respect Dalton's portrayal of Bond, because of his faithful adaptation to the literally Bond. At the same time, I do prefer Connery's and Brosnans portrayal; as you said, these are the Bond's you wanted to be. They oozed charm, class, sexiness... basically everything I am lacking :))
    OHMSS, FRWL, DN, GF, CR, GE, SP, YOLT, TB, TSWLM, LALD, TLD, TND, FYEO, SF, MR, TMWTGG, TWINE, OP, AVTAK, DAF, LTK, QOS, DAD

1. Connery 2. Craig 3. Brosnan 4. Dalton 5. Lazenby 6. Moore
    Mr_Osato wrote:
    at least not for the mass audience.

---> casual audiences :D

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Mr_Osato wrote:
    at least not for the mass audience.

---> casual audiences :D

Are you entering into a 'mass' debate, Higgy? :D
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    nope, it's just always the same from that front 8-)