Bond clothing pieces you were disappointed with

2»

Comments

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    otgrider wrote:
    Barbour dept b beacon jacket. Poorly finished, uneven stitching, lining has disintegrated after a year, stretched and misshapen in areas and both sleeves have developed holes where the material has creased. Quality does not justify the price at all.

Send it back to Barbour, they have a very good customer service, I would be expecting them to rectify that jacket after only 12 months!!
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • MinSpyMinSpy Saratoga NY, USAPosts: 55MI6 Agent
    I like the Beacon jacket a lot. Sorry you have a bad one. I agree, maybe contact them they have excellent customer service.
    I was dissapointed in the quality of the Sunspel polo, thin and fragile, I'm nervous about washing it. My Fred Perry Polos are far superior.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    otgrider wrote:
    Barbour dept b beacon jacket. Poorly finished, uneven stitching, lining has disintegrated after a year, stretched and misshapen in areas and both sleeves have developed holes where the material has creased. Quality does not justify the price at all.
    Surprised to see the Barbour on here. First time I've read about it being low-quality.
  • Sterling ArcherSterling Archer Posts: 197MI6 Agent
    NCR69 wrote:
    I have the matchless.

I would say that from the outset they produced in two colours: screen camel and an almost midnight blue (it's darker than navy).

I ended up with the blue and to hell with screen.accuracy on this occasion. Here's why:

I thought it a better fit.

It works with a lot of my wardrobe and other key pieces from the films.

I'd actually argue against purchasing the camel unless spending a lot if the time in sunny climes.

It's too obvious what it is, too craig, and out of context sticks out like a,sore thumb.

It becomes cos play and you'd look a tit in a uk pub garden.

The blue is a much more tasteful affair, stylish and doesn't scream bond - but people unknowingly complement you as such.. In short all the style without looking like you're copying slavishly. I

I feel it's a piece that once seen on Craig then for anyone else it's going to look a bit like.. costume..

If you can't afford a JV and a camel matchless there's an argument for the blue matchless tbf

No complaints here about quality though I'd add word of caution about ordering online from linea.

Matchless say they've nothing but xl sizes in camel and nothing in the blue. Linea online claim they can supply any size and colour.

Rot. I know from visiting Linea they carry little to no stock and order whatever required. Chances are you'll find money held before eventually they inform you they were unable to secure the product so be warned.

Would people really notice something like that? The only time anyone has ever noticed a Bond reference in my outfit was one of my friends who is a huge Bond fan instantly recognized the Markos and the other time (well times on this one) was the mock Spectre turtleneck.

I don't think anyone but an ardent Bond fan would make the connection on these clothes.

Also, I'm surprised at the comments about the Marko being bad quality. There must be different runs because mine is a fantastic quality piece and I've compared them to other high-end sunglasses.
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    edited August 2017
    MinSpy wrote:
    (...)I was dissapointed in the quality of the Sunspel polo, thin and fragile, I'm nervous about washing it. My Fred Perry Polos are far superior.

I second that. Too much hassle for a polo shirt. I bought two Riviera polos a while back (about 3 years ago) but I don't wear them very often, they just don't survive the washing machine all that well. But they looked worn out and faded very very quickly. Not much later I bought 2 navy Felix polos made by Orlebar Brown and I wear the absolute crap out of them. Get home, throw them in the washing machine, hang out to dry and still look great. I found an old stock third one last week (OB doesn't make the Felix in pique anymore) and was amazed to see that the old ones are still about the same colour and shape as the new one after years of wear.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    It's odd...I've owned mine for ohhh...4-5 months and it has faded only a tiny bit.
    Apart from the plastic buttons (which do not bother me in the slightest), this is an excellent polo.
    Lightweight, breaths well, what more could you want?
    Side note: it hasn't shrunk either, as I always hang it dry (along with all of my other clothes).
    a reasonable rate of return
  • GaryD_007GaryD_007 Near the Bonnie BanksPosts: 579MI6 Agent
    Had the Markos and would agree that they didn't feel as quality built as Rayban for example but loved the lens colour!

I'm surprised to see the Snowdons being mentioned, I find mine are of a very sturdy quality and on a par with Persol... guess there are always exceptions to the rule? Bad batch perhaps?
    I have the Henry also; love them both!

I have to mention Billy Reid and the pea coat, I had one of the original 'very limited' 8-) *cough cough* 100% wool coats that I ended up selling to a memeber on here. I very rarely wore it and found it quite uncomfortable and not brilliant at keeping the tropical Scottish weather temperatures at bay!

Shame.

I'd also ordered a protective coat cover/bag in a cream colour canvas which was, quite frankly, a huge disappointment. Cheaply made and very oosy. I'm definitely not a fan of Billy Reid, their marketing (see above!) or their products. Overrated to say the least.

On a more positive note, I do love my CR PO Omega and TF shirts and ties!
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,451MI6 Agent
    Peppermill wrote:
    MinSpy wrote:
    (...)I was dissapointed in the quality of the Sunspel polo, thin and fragile, I'm nervous about washing it. My Fred Perry Polos are far superior.

I second that. Too much hassle for a polo shirt. I bought two Riviera polos a while back (about 3 years ago) but I don't wear them very often, they just don't survive the washing machine all that well. But they looked worn out and faded very very quickly. Not much later I bought 2 navy Felix polos made by Orlebar Brown and I wear the absolute crap out of them. Get home, throw them in the washing machine, hang out to dry and still look great. I found an old stock third one last week (OB doesn't make the Felix in pique anymore) and was amazed to see that the old ones are still about the same colour and shape as the new one after years of wear.

I really like my Sunspels (I must have 5 or 6), but I know what you mean about them not being hard-wearing shirts. My wife kept forgetting and tossing them into the dryer and then I would have to stretch them back into shape in the bathtub. I finally ended up going up a size and drying them. Once shrunk, they fit me pretty much the way my proper size does out of the bag. And they don't shrink further if my wife dries the. Personally, I love the fabric of the Rivieras and the fit is very flattering to me. The darker colors do tend to fade noticeably over the summer in my experience.

I totally agree about the OB Felix in pique, though. My navy hasn't really faded at all after two years. And it is bombproof.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Hi I've never had a problem with my Sunspels, the material is completely different to a pique polo and as such should be treated differently. My original navy riviera is now nearly ten years old, granted I don't wear it very often purely down to the sheer quantity of clothes I have but it still looks good.
    No tf sunglasses are on a par with persol. The Henry's are better than the markos, if the Snowdens are as good as the Leo's I have then they should be fine, but the attention to detail and the acetate they use is not as good as persols.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • MFisherMFisher Posts: 746MI6 Agent
    edited August 2017
    I went into Billy Reid in New York and the sales associate was awful. He was rude, insulted me, and he didn't care at all about what he was doing. I could smell marijuana on him. I will never go in there again.

For what it's worth.... you can't blame an entire brand on the behavior of one employee... for all we know he was a part time employee just working while in school etc... to blame the entire brand for the actions of one awful employee on the entire company is lame... and really unfair... I would imagine there are scores of genuinely honest and helpful folks at Billy Reid who are great people... I live in Nashville (where reportedly DC bought his pea coat) and the folks there have always been incredibly nice... seriously lighten up... its completely unfair to broad brush the entire firm for the awful behavior of one person..
  • FerinstalFerinstal North of Londinium...Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    NCR69 wrote:
    No complaints here about quality though I'd add word of caution about ordering online from linea.

Matchless say they've nothing but xl sizes in camel and nothing in the blue. Linea online claim they can supply any size and colour.

Rot. I know from visiting Linea they carry little to no stock and order whatever required. Chances are you'll find money held before eventually they inform you they were unable to secure the product so be warned.

I love my Matchless - and just a word about Linea. I ordered mine from them and they were excellent. You are correct, they didn't have a medium in stock. But when I visited 48 hours later they had 3 x mediums for me to try (and the fits were different), as well as a large, just in case I got the size wrong.

I guess I'm old school and called them, rather than order blind on a website. No money taken in advance. Exceptional service.

Just sayin...
    Yes. Considerably.