A new Anthony Horowitz Bond novel...

1789101113»

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,705MI6 Agent

I think he said he planned to use it but in the end his plot flowed better without having Bond in jail for the time needed.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent

caraptacus plopps said:

question:

in his Afterword, Horowitz says he had no unused Fleming material to incorporate in his story this time.

yet upthread people are saying the Exclusive Waterstones edition contains a bonus called Bond Goes to Jail.

so what is Bond Goes to Jail? whats the plot? why did Fleming write it? and is it not the basis for some scene in Horowitz's novel (perhaps the early pages in British custody)? why else would it be included?

emtiem said:

I think he said he planned to use it but in the end his plot flowed better without having Bond in jail for the time needed.

thanks EmTiEm, can you tell us what the plot was? or why Fleming wrote it? was it another synopsis for the teevee series, or maybe one of the loose ideas he wrote down in his notebook?

I must admit I started reading it but never finished it! I was away on holiday at the time, must've got distracted and didn't go back to it. I'll have another look.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,318Chief of Staff
    edited February 2023
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent

thanks boss

The chapter is called "Bond Goes To Jail" and has very short extract from an unused television script by Ian Fleming in which 007 goes undercover at San Quentin prison in California. Author Anthony Horowitz then explains how he originally set out to use the idea of Bond in jail in With A Mind To Kill, just as he used unpublished Fleming material in his previous two Bonds. But, ultimately, he decided it wouldn't work.

so a short extract from one of the teevee scripts

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent

There's a line in Fleming's Bond In Jail where Bond is asked by a warden to provide a urine sample. He replies 'From here?' It was incorporated into Connery's Never Say Never Again, I believe.

Enjoyed your review @caractacus potts

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

thatd be awesome of that one particular line from an unused Fleming script got used in NSNA. I wonder how they wouldve known about it, unless Fleming himself had recycled the gag for an early Thunderball draft.

What I remember from NSNA is the massive Shrublands fight scene (one of the best bits in the film) ends with ConneryBond blinding the much bigger bad guy by tossing a liquid from a random jar into his eyes. Then he thinks to look at the label on the jar, and its his own urine sample! Total prototypical Austin Powers type moment

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,253MI6 Agent

I thought that line was taken from the opening episode of Porridge, which would make sense as the rewriters for NSNA were Dick Clement and Ian Le Frenais, who wrote the sit com.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,568Chief of Staff

It was…and I think NP was pulling people’s legs 👀

YNWA 97

It's all happening.... OHMSS#2 .... Coronation.... My book published.... kettle broken and replaced... Arsenal on the slide of all slides.... Rain... and this arrived in the post. Not sure the endorsement from Richard Osman does the book any favours. The print is huge. Is this a children's novel? I ask myself. Looks like I have some reading to catch up on.... after Conspirators by Matthew J. Gupta.

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Posts: 296MI6 Agent

Is the Richard Osman comment a sticker?

James Bond Australia - Website | Twitter | Mastodon | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Newsletter

Bond on the Box - Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LetterBoxd | YouTube

Osman seems to have endorsed every book coming out at the moment. I'm amazed he has time to write his own books.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent

No doubt his comment is as throwaway as his own fiction. I suppose it fits in well with the disposable nature of much of modern culture and society.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

No, it isn't. It is printed on the cover - spoiling the artwork forever.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent

They should have done the decent thing and made it peelable.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Posts: 296MI6 Agent

Seriously, what a waste of a fantastic cover design.

I mean obviously the publisher think the book is brilliant. They're not going to write 'It's ****' on the front cover.

If Jesus thought the book was brilliant, than yeah, probably should pop that on the front cover, but a quote from some en trend writer, no thanks.

James Bond Australia - Website | Twitter | Mastodon | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Newsletter

Bond on the Box - Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LetterBoxd | YouTube

Must admit I'm not a massive fan of this style of cover: I thought they dropped it after those fairly dull Fleming reprints.

edited April 2023

Yes, it's that very generic "silhouette man in city backdrop" kind of cover that adorns countless spy thrillers nowadays. It's like they're all lazily churned out on the same design software. Some of the covers are even identical between different titles.