christmas dinner

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    In some cases (cabaret, senneps-sild, rakfisk, raspeball and .....whisper it ... smalahove), my reactions would be much the same as the people in the video. :))
    Other than the smalahove I don't think many would consider the dishes Christmas dishes.
    If there is any interest I might write about pinnekjøtt (salted and dried ribs of mutton) and ribbe (roasted pork ribbs) later, perhaps even some Christmas cookies.

Syvsorter2_tcm48-262547.jpg
    edited December 2017
    Pinnekjøtt is what I eat on the 24th (that's when we celebrate Christmas) We eat lutefisk on the 26th.
    Here a cook explains in English how to make Pinnekjøtt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OC3YttonnE

pinnekjoett_voss_kjoettind.jpg

Serve suggared cloudberries in whipped cream for dessert :)

Multekrem.jpg
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    At the end of the day, Higgins got me to eat Chickens feet, so Im up for trying things. I won't touch sushi though, I tried that at 138 once and almost puked :D
    In that video N24, when he is adding the gravy, did he say penis juice :))
    The pinnekjøtt video or the lutafisk video?
    The answer is

coste-psicologico-nunca-decir-no.jpg

anyway, but I'm curious about what he really said. :))
    Number24 wrote:
    The pinnekjøtt video or the lutafisk video?
    The answer is

coste-psicologico-nunca-decir-no.jpg

anyway, but I'm curious about what he really said. :))

It was this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OC3YttonnE :D
    edited December 2017
    I think he says "pinnekjøtt juice". Pinnekjøtt litterally means "stick meat". I translate it as "salted and dried ribs of mutton". :D
    I use to like lamb, I dont eat it anymore though, too much cholesterol.
    edited December 2017
    Perhaps you could try the lutefisk, then? You can go easy on the bacon, even though it ads to the flavour.

When we still had animals on the farm we used to pick one sheep we wanted back to make pinnekjøtt of. We just told the man who drove the truck from the slaughterhouse. It may seem morbid, but we could chose the best one.
    Number24 wrote:
    Perhaps you could try the lutefisk, then? You can go easy on the bacon, even though it ads to the flavour.

When we still had animals on the farm we used to pickup one sheep we wanted back to make pinnekjøtt of. We just told the man who drove the truck from the slaughterhouse. It may sees morbid, but we could chosen the best one.

The Cardio Rehab team did'nt say I couldn't eat Bacon :D They just gave a lecture about what to try and avoid eating. Lamb was quite high on the list. If I'm honest I mostly eat chicken and vegetables cooked different ways. But I do like to try different things when Im lead astray by people like Higgins :D
    Lately the landscape has had a thin layer of snow. Not much, but enough to make it glitter in the day light and give the surroundings a magical quality.

It looks like it will end tomorrow. A relatively warm weather front will come and melt most of it away. Everything becomes wet slush and dirty mud instead of pristine snow. The warm weather will continue until Christmas day at least. I can't recall when my last white Christmas was and given the climate change I fear I never will experience it again, at least here. Probably in the mountains, but not down here where the house are and not on the 24th of December. It seems childish and sentimental, but it fills me with sadness that the white Christmases I remember from my childhood may be gone forever.
    You are welcome to the snow N24, I hate it, it was ok when I was a kid, but it is a pain in the arse now I'm older. The local Government is never ready for it, so the roads are a danger to drive on and everything comes to a halt.

I dont mind pictures of it though :D
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    I live halfway up a hill, so when the snow/ice is bad I'm stuck! In the winter of 2009 my neighbours and I were snowed in for ages- the shops ran out of bread & milk, we had to buy crackers and tins, etc (the local shops are walkable to). It cost me a good few bob in jobs I couldn't do :# .
    Snow is always better than slush and mud!
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 1,024MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I just had "Lutefisk" for dinner, a typical Christmas dinner in Norway. It is made from aged stockfish (air-dried whitefish) or dried/salted whitefish (klippfisk) and lye (lut). It is gelatinous in texture. Its name literally means "lye fish" (Wikipedia). Lutefisk is served with potatoes, carrots, bacon and pease pudding.

original.jpg

Oh Lord!! That is one of the few foods that really-really make my stomach churn!
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    Number24 wrote:
    Snow is always better than slush and mud!

I certainly looks better than mud and slush, Im still not keen on either though :))
    On the brighter side;

Christmas Songs at our church with kids: CHECK!
    Christmas Shopping: DONE!
    Office Christmas Party: SURVIVED!
    Presents Wrapping: STARTED!
    Christmas Concert (grown up music): DATE SET!
    Visit to the Christmas Market: PENDING!

Yes Sir! Christmas Eve is getting closer and closer, and that Christmas Spirit is growing stronger and stronger! Tonight I'm going to finish with the wrapping, so I have to stop by at the government monopoly store to pick up a bottle of red vine to make things easier.
    They have some very nice Amarone that should fit the bill.
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    edited December 2017
    The Christmas office party was on Friday. One of my co-workers noticed I was drinking Coke Zero and commented that it was very unhealthy and addictive. "It's worse to get addicted to Coke Zero than alcohol - CZ is more addictive and bad on the teeth!"
    I said something about other side-effects of alcohol that might be worse than bad teeth. By then a few other people had noticed what she was saying. "Besides, are you really claiming that being an alcoholic is better than being addicted to Coke Zero?"
    "By addicted to alcohol I don't mean being an alcoholic ..." By this time I was really enjoying the conversation: "Being adicted to alcohol is in fact the defintion of an alcoholic."
    She was starting to look a bit unsure of herself and I was trying not to laugh. "I didn't mean addicted to alcohol per se, just a casual drinker ......" everyone but her burst out laughing. :))

Office Christmas parties - they're great fun!
    :)) :)) -{
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    Ewww, Coke Zero. I find the fizzy tap water in TSABS is quite nice alternative to fizzy drinks -{
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    {[]
    (innapropes?)
    a reasonable rate of return
    0073 wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    I just had "Lutefisk" for dinner, a typical Christmas dinner in Norway. It is made from aged stockfish (air-dried whitefish) or dried/salted whitefish (klippfisk) and lye (lut). It is gelatinous in texture. Its name literally means "lye fish" (Wikipedia). Lutefisk is served with potatoes, carrots, bacon and pease pudding.

original.jpg

Oh Lord!! That is one of the few foods that really-really make my stomach churn!

That's all right. It's a good thing that people have different tastes :)
    Number24 wrote:

Yeah, I do have to add, that it is usually on menu every boxing day, if I happen to be visiting my M&P. I take pride in the fact, that there is no food that I won't eat, but somethings give me very little, if at all pleasure.
    This year I feel like I won the lottery, because Boxing day will be spent with the in-laws! :D :D :D
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    0073 wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

original.jpg

It looks good to me I would eat it if number 24 served it up ,but then again I eat jellied eels
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    It looks good to me I would eat it if number 24 served it up ,but then again I eat jellied eels

Well, nothing wrong with jellied eels, or smoked eels, or ... well you get the point.

Tha Lutefisk or Lipeäkala, as it is known in Finland.... the problem with it is the taste, or lack of it. I am hard pressed to describe it in any other way except as "The Void in Taste". You know the thing about complete darkest black not being the ideal camo for the night, because of the ever present ambient light, it makes you detectable from your background as a shadow? That is the way I experience the taste of the Lutefisk / Lipeäkala.... (shudders....)

I would even go as far as claiming the Swedish dish of Surströmming, as a delicacy when compared to the Lutefisk / Lipeäkala.

edit: nothing wrong with taste of Surströmming, most people just can't cope with the stench though...
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    I can't agree that Lutefisk is a "void in taste". There are many types of fish with more taste, and eating only lutefisk would taste unremarkable. But combined with the side dishes, especially bacon, it tastes great :)

Always Shaken: I would reccomend Lutefisk if it isn't prepared by me :))
    Number24 wrote:
    I can't agree that Lutefisk is a "void in taste". There are many types of fish with more taste, and eating only lutefisk would taste unremarkable. But combined with the side dishes, especially bacon, it tastes great :)

Anything with bacon tastes great (usually). Here in Finland, where nothing is more important than not enjoying your self too much, Lutefisk/Lipeäkala is usually served with bechamel -like white sauce, boiled peas (not mashed, mind you) and boiled potatoes. Quite of an unremarkable dish, wouldn't you say? We even have a saying in the lines that humans are meant to eat for to live, not live for to eat.... :#
    Well not this one! I will sit at the dinner table and enjoy everything that is good and holy in the seas, the lakes and the forests, in the fields, the farms and in the monasteries!

Have a very merry Christmas!
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    I’m not a great lover of (British) Christmas dinner ,I eat it of course ,but it’s not in my top 10 or even 20 meals ,but the Christmas meal and in my top 5 all time meals is the Boxing Day lunch .Cold turkey ,cold pork ,pickled onions,gherkins,red cabbage mashed Idaho potatoes , and a ham that’s been boiling in full fat Coca Cola then glazed off in the oven ,with Fortnum &Mason honey .This is my best family meal ,this is the one that keeps me tied to my South London roots .My grandad (deceased) was a London dock worker and this is what they ate ,mainly because they was poor . So this is the meal that I like the best at Christmas
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    I’m not a great lover of (British) Christmas dinner ,I eat it of course ,but it’s not in my top 10 or even 20 meals ,but the Christmas meal and in my top 5 all time meals is the Boxing Day lunch .Cold turkey ,cold pork ,pickled onions,gherkins,red cabbage mashed Idaho potatoes , and a ham that’s been boiling in full fat Coca Cola then glazed off in the oven ,with Fortnum &Mason honey .This is my best family meal ,this is the one that keeps me tied to my South London roots .My grandad (deceased) was a London dock worker and this is what they ate ,mainly because they was poor . So this is the meal that I like the best at Christmas

That Boxing Day lunch sounds delicious! It's funny how some of the best courses and meals have very humble origins.
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    0073 wrote:

That Boxing Day lunch sounds delicious! It's funny how some of the best courses and meals have very humble origins.
    That does indeed sound delicious and I've done it in a similar fashion in the past, we had our main meal on Christmas Eve this year ( rib of beef with all the trimmings) , Christmas day was just some luxury nibbles, now boxing day breakfast is reserved for my very own tradition which is bubble and squeak made up of the left over veg and potatoes from the main meal, served with fried bread, a friend leghorn white egg, bacon and mushrooms. Followed by a round of toast with what else but Tiptree little scarlet strawberry jam.
    Our festive season is dominated mainly by food ( for us adults) as I'm off work for a week or so it gives me chance to prepare meals I normally don't have time for.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood