Have been stepping on toes - again!

HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
edited December 2016 in Off Topic Chat
Just wanted to share my recent experience which embarrassed me while I think, that I've not been doing anything wrong.

As many of you know, I am also a massive Magnum PI fan since over 30 years. Of course I have all the episodes on DVD, I've bought every single season as soon as it was released.
Now in december I saw a Magnum PI Blu Ray set bein announced on Amazon UK and I've preordered it for GBP 170 for the set.

I was quite thrilled as the picture quality on the DVDs is not really great! Lots of grain and hiss and colors are very off as all episodes where shot on real film. I was assuming that the Blu Rays would be a similar step forward like the 007 movies where.

Couple of days ago, I have received my set, watched one of the first episodes (which I remember having a lot of quality issues) and was more than disappointed! Colours where not adjusted, sharpness not significantly improved, grain all over the place and hiss has even gotten more.

I've returned the set immediately to Amazon and left a 2 star review.

2 days ago, I have checked that review seeing that I've received 2 replies - one from a guy named Richard Walker and it was pretty nasty. It was basically about me having no clue and having posted an uneducated and idiotic reply.

I've replied to this asking if he had anything constructive to say besides personal insults.

Yesterday, I've checked the comments again and this guy posted even stronger insults (well yes, I am used to them, but...) saying that he won't review his own product.

Bearing that in mind, I've googled his name and found out that he's the owner of Fabulous Films, as company that deals with niche 80s series in the UK.

Called the guy up and have been flooded with anger and some really bold words.
I became to realize, that it's a very small company and they received the improved Masters by Universal Studios and have done a small run of 500 sets after having invested 100.000 quid.

My review was the only one and ovbiously is keeping almost everybody off from buying it and that this run was one of the largest that they've done so far.

He told me, that they can't improve the quality further without really restoring the masters, which will be out of their budget. Grain they could filter out but it'd leave the images "flat".

At the end of the day - and selling professionally on amazon and knowing how much a bad review can influence your sales (my competitors are using their "friends" to post negative reviews about my items - they are the only negative reviews so far) - I have removed my review but told him, that I was disappointed with his product and that it was my subjective opinion.

So, I am now not harming a small company anymore but others will buy this set with similar expectations and may be disappointed as well - and problably feeling ripped off in the face of the high price.

What are your thoughts?
President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!

Comments

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,462MI6 Agent
    Higgins, we disagree on certain topics but always in a constructive and insightful manner. In this case you should repost your comments. The public should know what they are buying. The fact that it is a small company has no bearing on the finished product. The company itself should be honest and not misleading customers. When you see "Blu-Ray" you expect the best possible production. I ran my own small company for 40 years and can proudly state that at no time did I ever mis-represent any item I sold.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I would have agreed with you some days ago.

But as I have learnt, Blu Ray is not per se better, it very much depends on to what degree the Masters have been restored.
    In the case of Fabulous Films, the owner convinced me, that they took the optimum out of what they've been given by the Studio and that they alone with their small numbers have no way of financing a true restauration to a degree like the 007 movies have been done. And we are speaking about 170 Episodes versus ca. 15 movies.

If I destroy this project to them with my review, it's likely that they won't issue other series (that may be long awaited by fans) in the future.

I came to the conclusion that in this case, I'd only be buying the Blu Ray, if the Masters have been restored by the Studio themselfs (which probably never will happen).

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,297MI6 Agent
    Very interesting story.

In my opinion there is nothing more dissapointing then a blu ray transfer that is little to no improvement then a DVD

It sounds like you feel bad as do not want to ruin a small company (which is very good of you) however I still think you have a right to complain that its poor / non improvement. After all blu-ray is marketed as superior.

I fully understand you "cant polish a turd" and cant do much improvement if the masters are poor to begin with etc however studios or distributors should warn the buyers if there is little improvement - especially if you have paid £170!!

Im sure more negative reviews will appear soon for a box set at that price
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,462MI6 Agent
    At the very least the standard of the quality should be explained on the box and in all advertising to enable purchasers to decide. They appear to be unscrupulous. Many fans would still buy the boxset if that is the only available restoration but at least they would not be disappointed as you have been. GBP170 is a hell of a lot of money to part with if you are expecting better.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    Interestingly though, there are "professional reviews" out there that praise the very much improved quality over the DVDs.
    But we all know how journalistic articles are fabricated in those days.

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,297MI6 Agent
    edited December 2016
    Yes - for £170 some kind of warning is required.

In my opinion what is the point of the blu ray transfer to begin with if you cannot improve the dvd version?

I remember when blu ray first took off - many studios did "lazy" transfers which were literally the same as the DVD counterpart. Years later they finally released a better "transfer"
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,833Chief of Staff
    welshboy78 wrote:
    I fully understand you "cant polish a turd" and cant do much improvement if the masters are poor to begin with etc however studios or distributors should warn the buyers if there is little improvement - especially if you have paid £170!!

I agree -{

If I'd paid £170 for this set I'd expect a 'true' bluray transfer...anything less is just robbery ! I don't accept his excuses either, he sounds like a conman X-(
    YNWA 97
    edited December 2016
    From the phone call which I've had with him yesterday, I am sure that he's not a conman. It takes big balls to do these small projects which the big dogs don't want to touch.
    I am also convinced that there is a lot of heartblood in that company and that they honestly do everything in their capabilities to give people the best product!
    And I am sure that he's not making Aston Martin money out of this if you understand what I mean.

I've also copied him with the thread url to give him further unbiased opinions from other mad fans.

• The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    I think you were right to complain about the quality of the product. If someone is selling a DVD box set with 'Fully restored and in Hi-definition' on the cover' that is what you should receive. I appreciate that the company has tried it's best with the product but they should not deceive the buyer in this way.
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    You've handled this perfectly Higgins, I can understand a company offering the series on a different format, but as Blu Ray is touted as the best we currently have its understandable you were disappointed. in all fairness his listing should say it wasn't a remaster or upgraded product, simply magnum on Blu Ray. Operating a small business myself I know how this guy feels as a bad review travels ten times further than a good one
    Well done Higgins you've been overly decent about the whole thing {[]
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • The_CommanderThe_Commander EnglandPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    I think you've been more than reasonable Higgins - considering that the main pack shot of the product has the big strap line "FULLY RESTORED AND IN HI-DEFINITION", I'd say that the product is misrepresented and deserves to be reviewed honestly and impartially.

Mind you, I don't think you're one to comment on colour quality, bearing your footwear history in mind :p
    1:Sf, 2:NTTD, 3:TSWLM, 4:CR, 5:OHMSS
    Not sure if "being decent" and myself go together well and thanks Commander for the encouragement :D

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Not sure if "being decent" and myself go together well and thanks Commander for the encouragement :D
    miracles can happen, and you being decent for once just proves it :D
    It was either that.....or the priesthood