Scientific background to brain drill scene

Hi all,

Curious if any users have background on what motivated the brain drill scene, and attempts to make 007 'face blind'.

Particularly, want to know who the scientific consultants or script writers were for this scene, and where they came up with the idea.

Thanks!

Comments

• sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    Here with most of the script ideas.

bottom+of+the+barrel.JPG
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    Welcome to the forum, biogadfly.

If you read the Colonel Sun torture scene it will all become clear where the writers got the idea. The Kingsley Amis Estate gets a credit at the end of the film. Reading this scene should answer most of your questions.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • biogadflybiogadfly Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    Cheers!

Thanks for the pointer, I've got a copy on the way.

Do you know of any interviews where writers/director discuss this scence?

Thanks again.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    biogadfly wrote:
    Cheers!

Thanks for the pointer, I've got a copy on the way.

Do you know of any interviews where writers/director discuss this scence?

Thanks again.

I don't specifically, but I'll certainly look into it for you. I too have a great interest in this scene and indeed Kingsley Amis and Colonel Sun (1968)!
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Unloved SeasonUnloved Season Denton, TexasPosts: 48MI6 Agent
    I've kind of wondered if it were true. Sounds a bit fanciful to be scientifically possible but I'm not a PhD. It's a Bond movie though, I suspend disbelief and just accept things like cars that can turn invisible and Denise Richards playing a nuclear physicist. But I would be curious to know if it's based in any fact just for future reference.
  • biogadflybiogadfly Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    Silhouette Man, thank you sir! I'm interested in anything you may find.

Unloved Season, it's actually a reasonable premis scientifically, damage to the region mentioned can produce a form of face-blindness termed "prosopagnosia". That's why I'm intersted to hear which scientific work the writers were specifically inspired by to include this detail in particular.

In fact (as you may know), while the neuroscientific concept is fine, the way the scene was shot contained a surgical error which was commented on in a scientific journal :)

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v528/n7583/full/528479e.html

Best.
  • Unloved SeasonUnloved Season Denton, TexasPosts: 48MI6 Agent
    biogadfly wrote:
    In fact (as you may know), while the neuroscientific concept is fine....

I must have been smoking a joint behind the building the day we did neuroscientific concepts in school, because I did not know that. Well I guess the surgical mistake might explain how Bond was able to avoid the intended effects of the operation. Maybe Blofeld was cutting class on neuroscience day too.
  • jet set sweeneyjet set sweeney Posts: 25MI6 Agent
    The scene is adapted from Colonel Sun. What bothers me about this scene is what happens afterwards. Bond is right as rain again 2 seconds later, his balance is fine and he can shoot perfectly again.

Gone is the hard work Campbell started in CR, where Bond gets affected by physical pain and recovers in hospital. Here we are back to Brosnan/Moore territory again. Superhuman Bond.