Last Bond movie you watched.

Comments

• LicencetochatLicencetochat Posts: 71MI6 Agent
    Sean0071 wrote:
    GoldenEye - Second time seeing it since I bought the BluRay and had a couple friends over to enjoy. This is my favorite Brosnan and always takes me back to playing the Nintendo 64 game with my friends well into the night. Good times! -{

I have to mention- the car chase with Bond and Xenia could have been so much more with just about any other music than what they chose. In fact- with a Ferrari 355, one could argue that no additional music is required- it's a symphony on its own!

I also just watched Goldeneye (for the 3000 time :)) ) , and i agree on the music on the car chase. And also what was the reason in telling it was 9 years later. Couldn't they just not said anything about that and pretend it was just after the opening sequence. I mean since Bond looks exactly the same the whole movie? In 9 years you can change quite a bit.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent
    I don't get the problem with "nine years later".
    I wish they would insert more previously unseen missions into the movies, and the pre-credits is the logical place to do that unless there's going to be a flashback.

In this case, they were retroactively inserting a fellow double-oh agent who was supposed to have some shared history with Bond. We are supposed to care more when he is revealed as the villain because of this shared history. We had never seen Alec before in previous films, so here they retcon him in as neatly as can be done.

Compare with Paris in the next film, who also has a retcon'd history with Bond but we do not see it, are only told it has happened, and as a consequence I do not really believe in it or care about what happens to her.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Die another day, I know it's a much maligned film,
    But as with Moonraker. When you're in the right mood
    It's a fun ride. With Brosnan completely comfortable
    In the role.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Spectre on TV. For all its faults I though It was Daniel's best performance. Some of the early dialogue with M and Q was crisply sardonic and the dark humour/insolence well handled.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Give me DAD over SP every time!
    superdaddy wrote:
    Give me DAD over SP every time!

Dad has a strong first half for sure. I'm not a fan of Spectre however the point I was making makes it even worse as in some ways DC'S best performance was wasted.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    I re-watched AVTAK the other day and I enjoyed it. Good story, good action, locations etc. Walken and Grace Jones are very good villans. There are negatives such as the Beach Boys music, the French sterotypical characters and other camp elements. The movie is pretty violent. This is untypical fora Roger Moore Bond, but it fits James Bond.
    Much has been said about Roger Moore's age, but we forget that Patrick Macnee and Lois Maxwell are also too old for this type of movie.
    Tanya isn't a great actress of cource, but she is very hot in this movie and in this movie that's honestly more important! I noticed how much hair she has in the castle scenes. Not just long, but very thick. Growing that much hair must take years and years....
    Does anyone know if it's all her hair or if she used extentions? (I like to focus on what's important in a movie....)
  • LicencetochatLicencetochat Posts: 71MI6 Agent
    I don't get the problem with "nine years later".
    I wish they would insert more previously unseen missions into the movies, and the pre-credits is the logical place to do that unless there's going to be a flashback.

In this case, they were retroactively inserting a fellow double-oh agent who was supposed to have some shared history with Bond. We are supposed to care more when he is revealed as the villain because of this shared history. We had never seen Alec before in previous films, so here they retcon him in as neatly as can be done.

Compare with Paris in the next film, who also has a retcon'd history with Bond but we do not see it, are only told it has happened, and as a consequence I do not really believe in it or care about what happens to her.

You may be right, i didnt think that much about that before now. It was a good opening, and when he was revealed as the villain into the movie. Thats something you didnt se coming (when watched for first time) good twist. But Goldeneye is Pierce best i think. And i belive there are many people who agree on that. Many maybe say the music was to experimental at the time. But i think its one of the best. I can agree on the music on the car chase (and maybe tina turner) but the rest of music is very good. And i also think the ending is one of the best. Its so feelgod. No plane, no train. Darling What can possibly go wrong heh. :)) haha its so good. And then the experience of love. Why cant more of the Craig films end like that, instead of the James Bond theme all the time.
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    From Russia With Love, for a podcast that I have recorded Wednesday. Still one of my three favourite Bond movies, love how the movie takes the time to set up scenes. Nice long shots, just lingering over famous landmarks, etc.

Next up: You Only Live Twice!
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Last night the girlfriend and I watched A VIEW TO A KILL

She was surprised that it's considered "the worst" because she figured it was in the top 3 of all the Bonds we've watched so far.
    Zorin impressed her has been a truly unhinged psychopath. She thought Roger was at his most likable in this film and not noticeably too old for the part.

One thing that stuck me as unusual about the film is we never get to see Zorin's microchip factory.

The only ones she hasn't seen yet are TB, OHMSS, FYEO, TLD, and LTK, SF and SP.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    I go months at a time between Bond movies, but a week ago I watched DN and as usual, I found little tidbits to “discover” which I overlooked before. Then last night I stumbled upon my SF blu-ray, which I had not seen in years. I wasn’t as big a fan of SF as many were here, but both the missus and I agreed that it was much, much better with a re-watching. I experienced an improved appreciation for practically every aspect of the film, the music, plot, characters and action sequences.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 410MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:

She was surprised that it's considered "the worst" because she figured it was in the top 3 of all the Bonds we've watched so far.

I think it really sometimes does come down to personal taste. I for the most part really enjoy A View To A Kill, and it is definitely in my top ten. My only flaws with it are the beach boys sequence and Roger Moore being a bit too old for the action scenes, hence the terrible visible stunt doubles (thanks DutchBondFan for pointing this out in your review, and the way you did was hilarious). Some people might be put off by Moore bedding Grace Jones or a young Tanya Roberts but it honestly didn't really bother me. If it did, it wouldn't be in the top ten. On the other hand, a Bond film that REALLY bothers me is Diamonds Are Forever, which I dislike tremendously.
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TLD 6. TSWLM 7. GF 8. AVTAK 9. MR 10. DN 11. SF 12. LALD 13. TB 14. OP 15. CR 16. GE 17. YOLT 18. TMWTGG 19. SP 20. TND 21. TWINE 22. QOS 23. NTTD 24. DAF 25. DAD 26. NSNA 27. CR '67

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan
    Wadsy wrote:
    Firemass wrote:

I think it really sometimes does come down to personal taste. I for the most part really enjoy A View To A Kill, and it is definitely in my top ten. My only flaws with it are the beach boys sequence and Roger Moore being a bit too old for the action scenes, hence the terrible visible stunt doubles (thanks DutchBondFan for pointing this out in your review, and the way you did was hilarious). Some people might be put off by Moore bedding Grace Jones or a young Tanya Roberts but it honestly didn't really bother me. If it did, it wouldn't be in the top ten. On the other hand, a Bond film that REALLY bothers me is Diamonds Are Forever, which I dislike tremendously.

It's a race to the bottom alright that's for sure. Even a past it couldn't give a Monkey's Connery just about manages to elevate it. That and of course Lana Wood's 'Decolletage ' (an 11 year old Zaphod would never be quite the same) # too much information.
    Wadsy wrote:
    Firemass wrote:

It's a race to the bottom alright that's for sure. Even a past it couldn't give a Monkey's Connery just about manages to elevate it. That and of course Lana Wood's 'Decolletage ' (an 11 year old Zaphod would never be quite the same) # too much information.
    Enjoying QOS on ITV2 at the moment -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Same here, it remains for me a brilliant Bond entry -{
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    Live and Let Die, personally my 2nd favorite Moore film. LOVE Jane Seymour in there as well. Oh my!
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    eric7064 wrote:
    Live and Let Die, personally my 2nd favorite Moore film. LOVE Jane Seymour in there as well. Oh my!

Live And Let Die will also be the next one I will watch. Great movie that I really enjoy everytime.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Got back from Cornwall yesterday afternoon ,a five hour drive , so unpacks etc etc cases away ,etc etc ,time to use up the left over sweets and drinks ,turns on the TV ,ah at last a nice sit down with no screaming kids ,and result QOS is on ,there is a god after all
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Enjoying Octopussy on itv4 -{ another great J Barry score too {[]
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Enjoying Octopussy on itv4 -{ another great J Barry score too {[]

Let your viewing be a particularly pleasant and enjoyable one. -{ I love that film.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
    Good old itv4 AVTAK tonight -{
  • DrydenDryden UKPosts: 131MI6 Agent
    Sean0071 wrote:
    GoldenEye - Second time seeing it since I bought the BluRay and had a couple friends over to enjoy. This is my favorite Brosnan and always takes me back to playing the Nintendo 64 game with my friends well into the night. Good times! -{

I have to mention- the car chase with Bond and Xenia could have been so much more with just about any other music than what they chose. In fact- with a Ferrari 355, one could argue that no additional music is required- it's a symphony on its own!

I also just watched Goldeneye (for the 3000 time :)) ) , and i agree on the music on the car chase. And also what was the reason in telling it was 9 years later. Couldn't they just not said anything about that and pretend it was just after the opening sequence. I mean since Bond looks exactly the same the whole movie? In 9 years you can change quite a bit.

I would assume the 9 year gap is to allow Travellian the time to got from a 00 agent to international arms dealer with a vast network - to achieve all that straight after the PTS would be a stretch.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    The PTS had to happen during the cold war, so that more than anything dictated the time gap.
  • HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
    Quantum of Solace - some great scenes in there, the suit was fantastic. One of my fave pts, and one of a great final confrontation scene.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent
    Goldeneye … what was the reason in telling it was 9 years later. Couldn't they just not said anything about that and pretend it was just after the opening sequence. I mean since Bond looks exactly the same the whole movie? In 9 years you can change quite a bit.
    Number24 wrote:
    The PTS had to happen during the cold war, so that more than anything dictated the time gap.
    this is a really sensible explanation. Should be the standard answer from now on whenever anybody complains about "9 years later..", as they inevitably will. Your interest in history has paid off, Number24!
  • Zorin91Zorin91 Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    Thunderball

This is a conflicted one for me. It was much better than I remembered, but I find the second half drags. The end battle in the water I'm quite OK with, but the climax on the boat is really ridiculous. The turns that boat makes are beyond wizardry :P The women, though... :x :x
    Had the unpleasant experience of seeing 2 thirds of NSNA. What a shoddy and cheap effort. I must not be so rude about EON.
    :)) I try to Watch NSNA every few years ...... always
    End up giving up.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    I gave Thunderbore a try the other night.

I suppose that's a bit unfair but I wouldn't try watching this after 8pm again, it's hard to finish. It's a good sunny Saturday afternoon picture, when there might be more exciting stuff on telly later.

It is the sort of film that earns the Mystery Theatre 3000 treatment. Spectre delivering its message on my dad's old reel-to-reel tape recorder. When the message runs out, perhaps you find it's taped over David Jacobs and pop songs of the day like Henry Mancini's Elephant Walk start playing.

During the message you half expect Blofeld's voice to intone monotonously 'and my I just add that the man sat beside you has the most unsatisfactory hairpiece...'

A lot of the 'fun' came from Connery's 'way' with the ladies but it is a bit cringeworthy now for sure, mind you catch the sideways look Claudine Auger delivers Bond as they walk up the beach.

Bond has his own reel-to-reel tape he plays back in his apartment to learn there's been an intruder. I mean, it's kind of rubbish isn't it?

Why does Largo throw the intruder to the sharks? If the purpose was to get rid of Bond, why not send someone better? It's not like he spilled the beans about Largo is it. Anyway, Bond is a clot - trying to spy, he introduces himself to a Spectre operative as 'James Bond'. He may as well be starring in BlackKklansman. It would make sense for Spectre's first appearance, as in the book, but Largo must be wracking his brains.... hmm, James Bond, might that be the bloke who bumped off Dr No and killed Red Grant and Rosa Klebb during an assignment based entirely around him? Nah, unlikely, just a coincidence...

I suppose if you want to watch this it may as well be on Blu-Ray, to make the most of it. It is all rather convoluted and heavy going. In some ways, OHMSS is a bit like that but the production values all round are much better.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017