DONE + Q&A's from Barbour CS * WTB - Barbour To Ki To Skyfall LARGE

GregBGregB Posts: 21MI6 Agent
Dear Ladies and Gents,

As a 007 enthusiast it was just a question of time that I stumble over this nice assortment of both other enthusiasts and afficionados and tons of information ! Tons !

It's always a pleasure starting to read various posts and realizing 3 hours later that one really dove into the endless subjects of all kind of Bond Trivia.

Thanks for that and two thumbs up or like the websites name states "absolutely james bond 007". Focus on absolutely!

My name is Greg and I live in Vienna in Austria.

JB film no. fifteenth "The Living Daylights" starring Timothy Dalton as 007 gave Vienna plenty of screen time. Neither my favorite Bond actor nor one of my favorite parts of the series but still JB and taste lies in the eye of the beholder...

When I look out of the window of my apartment I see the Giant Ferries Wheel, one of the film sets of the movie.

wheel.jpg

Sorry for poor pic...

I stray away from my topic so back to my inquiry.

I'm looking and hoping to buy a Barbour Tokito Skyfall jacket.

I know that there is a current run of the similiar looking Beacon Sports Jacket which is also more screen accurate than the Tokito version.

So why the Tokito version? For me it is more versatile than the newer version due to the hood and the storm flap.

My current autumn/winter jacket is broken beyond repair so I'm looking for a new one. I never made a major investment for clothing and most of my stuff is pre-owned.
I made up my mind and decided to give it shot this time.

I can afford to spend 350,- Euro for a jacket. Maybe 400,- Euro.
I'm well aware of the value of this jacket and its rarity but my funds are very limited and that's the most I can offer.

So if someone wants to part with his Barbour Tokito jacket I would be deeply grateful to receive a PM.

The condition of the jacket (normal wear and tear) is not important for me as long it's in an un-altered state (no tailoring - sleeves, mid-layer, etc.) without any structural damage and having the hood and the throat triangle piece.

Size: Medium

So, that's it from my side.

Many thanks in advance for taking the time reading my post and inquiry.

So long and tally-ho!

Cheers,
Greg

Comments

• nafets47nafets47 FloridaPosts: 939MI6 Agent
    Hello Greg,

Welcome to the forum. If I see a Barbour in your size around that price I will shoot you a pm.

Best,
    Stefan
  • James BrosnanJames Brosnan Posts: 865MI6 Agent
    Welcome to the forum my man! I am very jealous of your view as that is one of my all time favorite Bond scenes ever, in one of my favorite movies. I wrote an article on the Barbour jacket that discusses sizing and points to other sizing references. I think sizing stayed the same between the Tokito and the Commander, but check the references to be certain.

http://www.iconicalternatives.com/2017/02/12/barbour-dept-b-commander-jacket-review/

I hope that helps, and welcome aboard! -{
    "Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her." & "Tell mother I died game."
    CR/QoS, TLD, DN, GE, TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWiNE, TMWTGG, TB
    http://www.iconicalternatives.com/author/james-brosnan/
    https://www.instagram.com/shawn.michael.bongiorno/
  • GregBGregB Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    Hi Guys,

@ Stefan
    Cheers and many thanks for your warm welcome.
    Sounds great! If you happen to stumble over an suitable offer please let me know. Your help is greatly appreciated.

@richmenstoys
    Yeah, I know. Better knew. I actually was on this one and it looked great (the price) but it skyrocketed three days before the end of the auction from ~ 199,- GBP to 627,- GBP... And therefore it ways out of reach for my budget.

@James Brosnan
    Thanks for your warm welcome too!
    Yeah, the view is great. Actually if you take a tour with the Giant Ferris Wheel one can easily spot another film set of the movie.
    The Gasometer in the 11th district:

gaso.jpg

Its the scene where Koskov takes off with a Hawker Siddeley Harrier.

I'm straying away again...

Concerning your article about the Barbour Commander jacket. There is not much to say aside from very well done!
    It does help indeed and thank you from my side for taking the time and making such a detailed review.

I just wanted to add a quick note regarding the Barbour Tokito jacket.
    If someone is interested in selling his jacket please feel free in making me an offer. There is most always a way to settle or figure out thing amicably.

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Greg
  • gussguss South Wales, UKPosts: 195MI6 Agent
    Dear Guss,

Thank you for your PM and the recommendation of the Magnoli Clothiers.

Their version of the Barbour looks fabulous. Has all the details.

Except the details I'm looking for and which some people never use

...hood
    ...storm flap
    ...throat piece

It's the versatility of the To Ki To version I'm attracted to. On the one hand sharp looking with that specific touch of purism and on the other hand, if necessary, keeping the elements at bay.

Guess I did miss this one.

https://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/48886/fs-barbour-tokito-jacket-not-commander-size-m/

Sadly I'm almost a year too late... :))

I'll keep scrounging and waiting.

Cheers,
    Greg
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    You could try PMing him and trying your luck.
    You never know.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • Indy MagnoliIndy Magnoli Somewhere in the PacificPosts: 423MI6 Agent
    Hey Greg... don't forget that all of our jackets are made-to-order, so they can be customized any way you like. We can do the hood, throat latch, etc... no problem.
    Hi Guys,

Sorry for my late response.

@ Dirty Punker
    Thanks for the hint.

Before I even considered PMing Magnoli Clothiers, Indy shot his reply.

@ Indy Magnoli
    Many thanks to you for letting me know about the made-to-order and customization options.
    I definitely keep this route up on my radar in case a purchase of the Barbour is unsuccessful in the near future.

Point is that it is the first time (and most propably the last time...) I'll spend such an amount of money for one piece of garment for this reason I opt for the original one.

Future will tell... ;)

Cheers,
    Greg
    Hi Guys,

> Quick Update <

Due to the reason I recently sold some stuff I do have more funds for the purchase.

My budget now: 600,- Euro, preferably for the jacket plus shipping to Vienna.

Hope this amount makes it easier (not speaking of easy...) to part with the Barbour.

Cheers,
    Greg
    Dear richmenstoys,

Thanks for link. -{

Yeah, I saw that listing too but it's not the To Ki To version I'm looking for.

The jacket for sale is or better was, because it's not available anymore, from the current edition and available through some vendors at the moment.

Anyways, thanks for stopping by.

Cheers,
    Greg
    edited December 2017
    Hi Guys,

>>> Quick update <<<

Last week I had the opportunity to try on a friend's Barbour To Ki To Sports Jacket in size Medium.

Glad I had the chance because it turned out that I should definitely go for the size Large.

So, I'm still looking for this jacket but instead of Medium in Large now.

There is currently one for sale on eBay.
    The condition is 'New with tags' and due to this fact the seller is looking for a price beyond my budget.

If someone is interested in selling just let me know.

As mentioned in my previous posts, I do have limited funds so I'm absolutely fine with a used but not abused specimen ... ;)

I would even consider to buy an altered / tailored jacket (shortened sleeves , waist taken-in) as long as the middle lining was not removed (condensation or sweating issue) and the zipper and storm flap are still in place plus hood and throat piece.

Many thanks in advance.

So long,
    Greg
    Hi Guys,

Quick Bump for this Thread.

I'm still interested in buying a Barbour To Ki To Sports Jacket in size Large?

In case you, yes YOU ;) , want to part with your jacket, please drop me a line.

Cheers!

Greg
    Hi Guys,

Bumping again. ;)

Still looking for one.

Let me know.

Cheers,
    Greg
    Hi Guys,

Still no one ...

I saved some extra money to raise my budget for the Tokito Sports Jacket.

600,- GBP it is. This is what I can spend in total for the jacket plus shipping to Austria.

So preferably I hope someone from Europe (European Union) is willing to part with his jacket because there is no budget left for customs or any other extra fees ;) ...

Let me know.

Cheers,
    Greg
  • martinimartini Posts: 289MI6 Agent
    PM sent!
    "It is better to be as well dressed as possible to stave off, at least for a very little bit, the total collapse of civilization"
    Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I dropped some lines here.

Thanks to fellow member martini -{ , my search and the waiting for a Barbour ToKiTo Sports Jacket came to an end in February.

I absolutely recommend him in terms of doing business. Perfectly described item, very patient and very accurate in dealing with Q&A's too.

The jacket itself is stunning! It really is!

I'm glad that I opted for size Large in respect of layering underneath. The last 1 1/2 months, the weather was as 'versatile' as the jacket ;) - ranging from minus 10 °C / -14°F up to sunny & warm weather of ~ 17 °C / 62,6 °F , snow , rain , strong wind to mild breeze.

No issue with sweat or condensation as some people had.

Furthermore I was curious about the 'mid-layer secret' so I dug deeper into it.

I'd like to share the Q&A's correspondence between Barbour and me with you folks.

> Read on ... ;)

Q #1: Why does the Sylkoil Jacket have a plastic lining between the wax cotton exterior and the inner lining and why is this layer not present in my older A7 jacket or any other older Barbour coat?

A #1: The sylkoil jacket has a nylon backed lining layer between the wax, the inner lining and the outer fabrics because of the lining on the garment will leach the wax as it has no coating.

Q #2: Do the older Barbour coats have a 'special lining' which makes the mid-layer not neccessary?

A #2: In the A7 international garment there is a lining which has a fluorocarbon coating. This prevents the wax leaching from the outer fabric.

Q #3: Sylkoil and Thornproof are both wax cotton types so I assume both are equally waterproof or does the additional layer provide the waterproof ability to the Sylkoil wax?

A #3: The sylkoil wax, 8oz wax and eco wax are all equally waterproof.

Q #4: When reproofing my old A7 jacket I use Thornproof dressing. Which dressing do I need for rewaxing the Sylkoil jacket?

A #4: All of the above fabric use Thornproof wax dressing for reproofing. The sylkoil wax is only a differently finished fabric with a slightly more brushed finish.

Q #5: I read some articles in the internet about people who had the mid-layer removed on their To Ki To Sylkoil jacket with the effect of better breathability (due to overly sweating) BUT with the negative effect of wax seeping all the way through the lining.
    Why does the wax get through the the lining on a Sylkoil jacket but not on a Thronproof jacket?
    Does the Sylkoil cotton have a looser weave than the Thornproof cotton or is there an other reason for this issue?

A #5: As above the lining in the jacket s not coated therefore the wax will transfer onto the lining.

Q #6: So, it actually depends on the inner lining if a Barbour jacket has this nylon backed layer or not. Right?

A #6: I can confirm that you are correct in your statement.

Q #7: Which range of jackets/coats do have this layer and which not?

A #7: There are very few styles with this layer, but we cannot go through the range to identify them because of the time it would take and the size of the range.

Quite interesting, isn't it?

Cheers,
    Greg