Is the problem with Moonraker the fantastical plot or the slapstick?

Comments

• GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    Creepy the scene where the men are accidentaly killed by the gas :#
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent

Especially when the scientist with the beard, runs up to the window, is overcome by the gas and his hand slides down the window. John Barry's score also adds to the creepiness.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • Revolver66Revolver66 Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 470MI6 Agent

Especially when the scientist with the beard, runs up to the window, is overcome by the gas and his hand slides down the window. John Barry's score also adds to the creepiness.

Ah I forgot about that one! That is definitely an eerie scene
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    It's got a few eerie scenes, which completely balance out the film, someone mentioned the fight in the glass museum, that comes over more intense due to the lack of any score, just the sounds of fighting and splintering glass.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • welshguy34welshguy34 Posts: 219MI6 Agent
    Both were a problem but the plot being so OTT was the main problem for me.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    The slapstick. The plot is a space based version of the Underwater antics of TSWLM. The gags though - especially the visual ones tip the scales over the edge.

Moonraker is one of my favorite Bond films because of its space age tech. - The shots of the Space shuttle fleet and Drax's station are marvelous. But Jaws "flapping" and the Pigeon double taking are naff in the extreme.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,333Chief of Staff
    I suppose I'm one of the few here old enough to remember seeing MR in the cinema- hell, I'm old enough to remember seeing GF in the cinema!- and it's definitely one of the Bonds, along with such as YOLT, that benefit from being seen on the big screen. I do remember thinking afterwards, though, "Where can they go now? How could they get bigger than that?" which of course they didn't try.
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    It truly is the pinnacle of Bond's descent into camp but in the most unique way possible.
    It's the end of an era.
    Roger in top form, Gilbert's last outing showcasing his directing chops and John Barry with a truly atmospheric and fantastical soundtrack.
    While there are many films that proclaimed to be the biggest one of them all, they can't top Moonraker.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I too remember watching MR at the cinema, and the opening stunt left the audience in
    amazement -{ and yes, It needs to be seen on the big screen. For 1979 it was a
    brilliant movie. I remember my friends all praising it as a great film. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,224MI6 Agent
    While there are many films that proclaimed to be the biggest one of them all, they can't top Moonraker.

TB was the biggest Bond of all. After GF Bondmania was everywhere and the anticipation of the TB being released was palpable. I know as I was there as a 9 year old :D
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I too remember watching MR at the cinema, and the opening stunt left the audience in

I first watched it in the early '90s on what would now be considered a tiny television. The film still impressed me then.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    MR is my favorite RM Bond (not a popular opinion I know.) It is silly and stupid and tries to be nothing else. As far as the plot being over the top, I do not think it is much more ridiculous than OHMSS, which I consider to be the best Bond.
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    I was fickle as a kid and liked all Bond films, **** I thought the stunts were real, I was 13 when MR came out, RM was at his best in my opinion, and it had a good selection of gadgets, very funny when I saw it back then, I went back many times to see it that summer as it played for the whole six week summer holidays in the local cinema :D
    MR is my favorite RM Bond (not a popular opinion I know.) It is silly and stupid and tries to be nothing else. As far as the plot being over the top, I do not think it is much more ridiculous than OHMSS, which I consider to be the best Bond.

I only got to see OHMSS once on the big screen as a Kid, I was probably about 8, I didnt get to see it again until I was about 17 on video, I think it is a favourite of many of us here, but certainly a black sheep of the EON/MGM family for many years.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    I was fickle as a kid and liked all Bond films, **** I thought the stunts were real, I was 13 when MR came out, RM was at his best in my opinion, and it had a good selection of gadgets, very funny when I saw it back then, I went back many times to see it that summer as it played for the whole six week summer holidays in the local cinema :D

Ahhh...the wonders of a Bond movie through the eyes of a child. I was around 12 when I watched MR and later that year I would watch Superman the Movie around Christmastime, what wonderful memories. However, as a heavy consumer of comic books (mostly DC and the occasional Marvel title), I remember thinking how badass Bond was because in comparison, he was a hero who had no super powers and yet he was able to do all those stunning feats, kind of like Batman, except that he didn't wear a costume. So...to a kid like me, Bond's antics in MR didn't seem so outlandish but was just so utterly cool!
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    This thread has taken a rather nice turn {[]
    Makes a change, I once had a nasty turn in a booth. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,945MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    Ahhh...the wonders of a Bond movie through the eyes of a child. I was around 12 when I watched MR and later that year I would watch Superman the Movie around Christmastime, what wonderful memories. However, as a heavy consumer of comic books (mostly DC and the occasional Marvel title), I remember thinking how badass Bond was because in comparison, he was a hero who had no super powers and yet he was able to do all those stunning feats, kind of like Batman, except that he didn't wear a costume. So...to a kid like me, Bond's antics in MR didn't seem so outlandish but was just so utterly cool!
    I'm with you Superado, I was a big comics reader when I first saw the Spy Who Loved Me at age 11 (same year as Star Wars), and it was just like all the potential of a good comic book come to life.
    I posted over in the Tintin thread that at first Bond movies seemed like Tintin adventures for grownups (but really for 11 year olds who are first starting to think about girls), but the simplistic good versus evil plot structure was a lot closer to American superhero comics, and the Ken Adam sets and the gadgets were much like the scifi technology Jack Kirby used to draw.
    superado wrote:
    danjaq_0ff wrote:

I'm still quite like that when I watch a Bond film, it takes me back to my childhood and I view it like a child, where quite a few had a problem with SPECTRE, the only problem I had was Sam Smith :D I'm back as a kid in that cinema , probably being truthful I never grew up :D
    Makes a change, I once had a nasty turn in a booth. :D

Did you come out as Wonder Woman :D
    I usually do ;)
    Other ladies might not agree with me, but something about the RM era is really unaccessible to me because I have no idea what it is like to be a 14 year old boy. I know I am not really the key Bond demographic, but the RM era seems even more geared towards men (again, very much my opinion) MR feels more accessible *to me* for some reason. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it has a something that is different from the other RM films. It is over the top and campy but not dull, like DAF. I am not sure if this is logical.
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

I first watched it in the early '90s on what would now be considered a tiny television. The film still impressed me then.

Quality filmmaking shines thru on any format. Back in the 90's VHS days MR still stood out to me as a top tier Bond film.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
    Other ladies might not agree with me, but something about the RM era is really unaccessible to me because I have no idea what it is like to be a 14 year old boy. I know I am not really the key Bond demographic, but the RM era seems even more geared towards men (again, very much my opinion) MR feels more accessible *to me* for some reason. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it has a something that is different from the other RM films. It is over the top and campy but not dull, like DAF. I am not sure if this is logical.
    Well, it does have a strong character like Holly Goodhead and Drax has many women in key positions but besides that MR is the definition of fun for the whole family without trying to shoehorn every demographic into the movie. It just works.
    Well, it does have a strong character like Holly Goodhead and Drax has many women in key positions but besides that MR is the definition of fun for the whole family without trying to shoehorn every demographic into the movie. It just works.
    Yes, you nailed it :))
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,277MI6 Agent
    It's true that Moore became a Bond for the Superman era. The gag/angle was, this was a guy who was so cool, he could almost do magic, he could magic his way out of any perilous situation. To a kid, that was brilliant. The nearest we have to it now, in a way, is Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes, the way he can just magic his way to a deduction, no matter how implausible. And I suppose most action scenes in most modern movies involve a kind of video-game sensibility that is as far from reality as to be magic in itself, and not so less credible than Moonraker's action scenes, just filmed with brutal editing to make it seem so.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Yet Moore had the style and skill and delivery to pull it off.
    While the Spy rooftop fight may be unfortunate, most of his other action scenes are better than what you'd see in a modern action movie (post mid-00s to present, with some exceptions few and far in between).
  • Revolver66Revolver66 Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 470MI6 Agent
    This board has been hijacked and turned into an epic MR love in :)) :))
    Revolver66 wrote:
    This board has been hijacked and turned into an epic MR love in :)) :))
    Which, in part, is an answer to OP's question.
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Yet Moore had the style and skill and delivery to pull it off.
    While the Spy rooftop fight may be unfortunate, most of his other action scenes are better than what you'd see in a modern action movie (post mid-00s to present, with some exceptions few and far in between).

That rooftop fight is classic and features one of his most memorable and coldest kills.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
    And Moonraker s on UK TV tonight {[]
    If we are talking about the fight in tswlm then I'd agree it's one of Moore bonds coldest kills along with locques in FYEO.