Introduction and advice needed

Hi All,

I've only recently discovered AJB but it's quickly absorbing my time!

I am in need of some advice. I'm trying to build up my casual wardrobe and can't decide on my next jacket purchase while I source out some blue polos, etc. I currently own the Royale peacoat and a Barbour Commander. I have cheap alternatives to the Islay boots (thanks to Iconic Alternatives) and tan/stone chinos and jeans as well as some darker, nubuck chukkas.

I feel like I have a decent base to build on but am looking for a jacket that is more casual than the peacoat and more versatile than the Barbour. I am looking at the Y-3 and Harrington (probably also from Royale to keep cost down). My dilemma is waiting for the next Harrington run or ordering the Y-3 now. For the members who own these, which do you get more use out of/find yourself wearing more often? Do you find that the black vs. blue makes a difference in versatility? I'm also really drawn to the Morocco suede jacket, but going off of the practicality/versatility priority, that makes me leery. That and the mixed results from others ordering replicas. It's damned good-looking, though!

For reference, I'm 6'2" with a 42" chest, 34" waist and the larges in the peacoat and Barbour fit perfectly.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Comments

• PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    Where are you located?

I ask because how practical any choice is will have more to do really with climate than anything else.

I'd love to have any number of the jackets/coats discussed on AJB but living in California there's just no reason to own them other than purely as a collectible.
  • John Adam BryceJohn Adam Bryce Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    Good point!

I'm in New England so jacket weather isn't a problem. I could wear a light jacket into June here.
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,093MI6 Agent
    I'm in California. Of the Royale jackets I own I reach for the Y-3 more often. It's a bit more under the radar than the Harrington. I once had a stranger come up to me and ask how much the Harrington cost. The Y-3 replica is just a good looking black jacket. However I do wear both.
  • MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,771MI6 Agent
    I'm in California. Of the Royale jackets I own I reach for the Y-3 more often. It's a bit more under the radar than the Harrington. I once had a stranger come up to me and ask how much the Harrington cost. The Y-3 replica is just a good looking black jacket. However I do wear both.

That must have been a bit awkward for you but it just shows that Daniel Love makes an awesome jacket!
    I know where you keep your gun!
    Well, I've gotten tons of comments on the peacoat, so I'm not surprised. He does do excellent work.
    Well, I've gotten tons of comments on the peacoat, so I'm not surprised. He does do excellent work.

Unfortunately i don't own any of Daniel's jackets BUT i am anxiously waiting for the new Harrington to come out so i can order one! Why not get the QOS Haiti jacket now, see if you like it and once the Harrington becomes available get that as well? I mean either way you go you're getting a great jacket but my choice is definitely the Harrington!
    Well, that had occurred to me but the $400 tag for both is a bit beyond my means. And considering how fast the Harrington should sell out, I'll likely not have time to save up for it befor it's too late.

I'd love both. Maybe I'll just keep trawling for used ones so I can afford the two of them.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I guess a lot depends on your existing wardrobe and what items you'll be partnering the jacket to, for me personally I find blue a more wearable colour. I have a black Y3 alternative and there are far fewer outfits I wear for that jacket to work.
    If I were you I would go for the Harrington and then source a budget Y3 alternative, there are a few about for as little as $20.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Yes, that's exactly one side of the argument for me. I think a lot of my wardrobe does favor the blue.
    You guys are not making this easy! :))
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,123MI6 Agent
    If you hang around here and start watching Mantis' excellent Vlogs, you'll soon find yourself with a wardrobe full of more jackets, pullovers and T-shirts than you ever realised you needed!!
    Not to mention watches, shoes, and cardigans too!!

Good luck! :007)
    Yes! I actually started following him on YouTube before I discovered this forum and you're right! I can tell you guys are gonna make me broke!

I'm also an avid cyclist/triathlete and the running joke on those forums is that the correct number of bikes to own is n-1, where n=the number of bikes you own that your significant other leaves you over!

I am seeing some parallels here. :))
    UNCLE27 wrote:
    If you hang around here and start watching Mantis' excellent Vlogs, you'll soon find yourself with a wardrobe full of more jackets, pullovers and T-shirts than you ever realised you needed!!
    Not to mention watches, shoes, and cardigans too!!

Good luck! :007)

Don't forget sunglasses!
    edited January 2018
    Yes! I actually started following him on YouTube before I discovered this forum and you're right! I can tell you guys are gonna make me broke!

I'm also an avid cyclist/triathlete and the running joke on those forums is that the correct number of bikes to own is n-1, where n=the number of bikes you own that your significant other leaves you over!

I am seeing some parallels here. :))

John when Uncle27 mentions Mantis and his The Bond Experience Vlogs he is not kidding and i've been following him since he was doing the video podcasts for jamesbondlifestyle which was years ago. Speaking for myself i know my Billy Reid Peacoat purchase was because of his review and I liked the peacoat so much that i bought another one! Since then i've purchased more pieces from Billy Reid and again its because of Mantis and his reviews. I've been extremely fortunate to acquire other items and hopefully with time you can do the same!
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    You gents are very kind...I think we all share a passion around these things and the amazing ability to wear our hobby in the 'real' world....