Dr. No Portable Stereo

Would've figured this for a given topic on AJB but not finding any past posts nor anything online at all other than general musings.

So ...

Anyone know what the make and model is of the portable stereo in Miss Taro's flat?

DN-portable_stereo.jpg

Comments

• danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Not the right one my any means, but it will give you an Idea as what to look for, you probably already know this, just trying to help -{

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Champion-Portable-Record-Player-Vinyl-LP-78-45-33-1-2-1950s-1960s/182875685927?hash=item2a943d8427:g:X~QAAOSwehZZ~Npu
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    Not the right one my any means, but it will give you an Idea as what to look for, you probably already know this, just trying to help -{

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Champion-Portable-Record-Player-Vinyl-LP-78-45-33-1-2-1950s-1960s/182875685927?hash=item2a943d8427:g:X~QAAOSwehZZ~Npu

Appreciate the input but there are thousands of portable record players (near 600 right now on eBay UK and close to 3,000 on eBay US ... though, oddly, next to no vintage on either); too open of a category without at least a brand or something to narrow it.

Surprised no one has sussed this out before!
  • urhashurhash USPosts: 983MI6 Agent
    I think in the "Dressed to Kill" book it is mentioned as a Dansette. I'll look again when I get home.
  • Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
    Pretty sure it’s not a Dansette, been looking for some time. Dansette’s are very angular and the type in question is far more rounded.

75557457-4_D24-45_D8-8_E61-_F59316_C7_CD80.jpg

BC300_C81-8339-4206-8_A82-60_CC8703_A7_D1.jpg
  • IanFryerIanFryer Posts: 327MI6 Agent
    What an interesting subject. I guess the term Dansette became a sort of catch-all term for the dozens of brands of portable record player available.

I've posted a query on a vintage audio equipment forum just in case someone recognises it. You never know.
    Pretty sure it’s not a Dansette, been looking for some time. Dansette’s are very angular and the type in question is far more rounded.

75557457-4_D24-45_D8-8_E61-_F59316_C7_CD80.jpg

One thing which should make it easier it that asymmetrical lid.
    IanFryer wrote:
    What an interesting subject. I guess the term Dansette became a sort of catch-all term for the dozens of brands of portable record player available.

I've posted a query on a vintage audio equipment forum just in case someone recognises it. You never know.

I didn't actually post to any vintage audiophile pages but in Googling it does seem to come-up as a subject of discussion on a few, but mostly in a "here are some cool incidences of record players in movies" way and not anything specific.

Hope you have more luck!
    And we have a hit! Apparently it's a Dynatron RG20 Safari battery powered radiogram, as also featured in that other 1962 Pinewood-shot epic Carry On Cruising.

dynatron-safari-record-player-vintage_360_fbfc56975c42df3d10d4a5.jpg
  • Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
  • Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,883MI6 Agent
    Great job!

"Dr. No was a British produced film, made at Pinewood Studios. Extensive location footage was shot in Jamaica, but I'm pretty sure this scene took place in the UK."

The bungalow used was at the Sans Souci resort in Jamaica--interiors too.

2017-11_137.jpg
    Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!
    Ha, you saw my vintage audio forum message! Small world.
    IanFryer wrote:
    And we have a hit! Apparently it's a Dynatron RG20 Safari battery powered radiogram ...

Battery-powered, interesting: Probably one of those weird sizes which hasn't been made in decades.

The interiors of Miss Taro's flat were shot at Pinewood; I can't access my image library right now but there are shots of Young directing Connery in which the tops of the walls and studio lights are visible.
  • thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent
    ...and the hunt begins.....
    Last one I could find online old for about thirty quid three years ago. Perhaps prices will go up now the word's out.
  • Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,883MI6 Agent
    PoorMansJB wrote:
    IanFryer wrote:
    And we have a hit! Apparently it's a Dynatron RG20 Safari battery powered radiogram ...

Battery-powered, interesting: Probably one of those weird sizes which hasn't been made in decades.

The interiors of Miss Taro's flat were shot at Pinewood; I can't access my image library right now but there are shots of Young directing Connery in which the tops of the walls and studio lights are visible.

Good to know--guess the locals were gilding the lily a bit--not surprising!

Thank you.
    Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!
  • snazzykatsnazzykat Posts: 1MI6 Agent

HI THERE. I WAS BROWSING THE INTERNET FOR INFORMATION ABOUT THE STEREO USED IN THE DR NO AND CARRY ON CRUISING MOVIES WHEN I FOUND YOUR DISCUSSION. I ACTUALLY OWN THAT PARTICULAR ONE! MY MUM AND DAD USED TO LIVE NEAR THE PINEWOOD STUDIOS AND EVERY SO OFTEN PROPS WOULD BE SOLD OFF. MY MUM BOUGHT THE STEREO AND FOR AROUND 40 YEARS IT WAS USED EVERYDAY AS A RADIO IN MY DADS BARBER SHOP. I HAVE IT NOW, NOT IN THE BEST OF CONDITIONS BUT i COULD NEVER PART WITH IT.

• thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent

Welcome to AJB!!!

That's TERRIFIC!!! Please post photos as I know we would all like to see it. ---Ed