GF Gold Bars :: Genuine?

Thoughts on whether these are genuine?
https://bid.screenused.com/Goldfinger-Fort-Knox-Gold-Bars_i31014255

In my experience, bars such as these are invariably from 'The Italian Job' or some other film.

Comments

• minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    I thought the originals were cast lead, im not sure about solid resin even being around back in 1963/4.

I would be cautious as there's nothing at all to confirm the claim, not even markings on the bars.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    I thought the originals were cast lead, im not sure about solid resin even being around back in 1963/4.

I would be cautious as there's nothing at all to confirm the claim, not even markings on the bars.

the ones that I have seen at 138 were not cast in lead :p
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

There might have been some "heroes" made of lead but I had always understood the bulk were plaster.
    I didn't even catch "resin" in this description.
    PoorMansJB wrote:
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

There might have been some "heroes" made of lead but I had always understood the bulk were plaster.
    I didn't even catch "resin" in this description.

The ones that I saw were plaster which you could see where the paint had been chipped, actually one was being used as a door stop on the Board Room :D
    Been in contact with the seller who have now revised the description to plaster instead of resin.

That said, relative to provenance, they just offer that the owner is a collector of long-standing which doesn't mean much to me; even experts are sometimes wrong.
    PoorMansJB wrote:
    Been in contact with the seller who have now revised the description to plaster instead of resin.

That said, relative to provenance, they just offer that the owner is a collector of long-standing which doesn't mean much to me; even experts are sometimes wrong.

I dont know if this is any help or not, but the discolouration of the bottom of the bar in one of them pictures in the link is very much like the Bar that I was talking about being used as a door stop -{
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    I dont know if this is any help or not, but the discolouration of the bottom of the bar in one of them pictures in the link is very much like the Bar that I was talking about being used as a door stop -{

Formulations change but the gold aerosols of the '60s & '70s were prone to showing every fingerprint, etc.
  • bondpropfanbondpropfan Southern UKPosts: 288MI6 Agent
    Did you get it as I have one exactly the same and I'd like to compare
    Cheers
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

Sorry to butt in guys . But didn't Bond drop the gold bar on the putting green .and he produced it from his pocket , so me thinks a lead one would have torn his garment off , ??
    (Shut up AS go back to sleep )
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

Sorry to butt in guys . But didn't Bond drop the gold bar on the putting green .and he produced it from his pocket , so me thinks a lead one would have torn his garment off , ??
    (Shut up AS go back to sleep )

Fort Knox Bars Shakey, to be honest, I have never seen the Nazi Gold bar, only in screen grabs and replicas -{