Comments

• TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    3M and not road legal! I posted about it earlier on the Bond 25 thread... I can't but help notice that EON and Chris Corbald are getting on involved, so will it be part of the B25 film?
    https://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/49551/craig-is-back-discuss-bond-25-here/page/89/
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    I’ve got excellent credit, do you think a bank will loan me the $5.7 million AUD it will take to purchase one of these? I’d think that would be pretty reasonable :007)

Anyway back to reality, that is very very cool—especially the addition of all the original gadgets!
    Tennyson wrote:
    3M and not road legal!

Where did you read that they won’t be road legal? A few articles on this mention that the tyre spikes have been modified slightly so they can’t be used on other motorists—that gives me the impression that they’ll be able to drive on roads? That being said I have no idea what does and doesn’t make a car road legal so I’ll leave that to the experts.
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    JTM wrote:
    Where did you read that they won’t be road legal? A few articles on this mention that the tyre spikes have been modified slightly so they can’t be used on other motorists—that gives me the impression that they’ll be able to drive on roads? That being said I have no idea what does and doesn’t make a car road legal so I’ll leave that to the experts.

From Tennyson's Top Gear link (https://www.topgear.com/car-news/classic/aston-martin-will-build-25-goldfinger-db5s-ps33m):
    "Not one of the 25 reproductions will be road legal."

... though there's no source cited for that.

Wondered if this might not be like the DB4 GT reissue which was also not street legal.
    Now with that car I could sort of understood -- it was meant solely for rallies and racing -- but the logic of Bond DB5 which can't be driven I'm not so sure.
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    PoorMansJB wrote:
    JTM wrote:

From Tennyson's Top Gear link (https://www.topgear.com/car-news/classic/aston-martin-will-build-25-goldfinger-db5s-ps33m):
    "Not one of the 25 reproductions will be road legal."

... though there's no source cited for that.

Wondered if this might not be like the DB4 GT reissue which was also not street legal.
    Now with that car I could sort of understood -- it was meant solely for rallies and racing -- but the logic of Bond DB5 which can't be driven I'm not so sure.
    Think it will be drivable but different to road legal because it will not have gone through all the crash tests of a modern vehicle because they are built new (rather than rebuild of a vintage car). Even though it’s a copy of an original it would have to meet stringent laws of a modern vehicle to hit the road (where as I think a vintage DB5 would not have such stringent tests).

Was the same with the DB10 perfectly drivable but had not gone through the full crash tests so not street legal I believe.

Costs to much for a company to set up for such tests for a limited fun of vehicles.

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    edited August 2018
    Bond44 wrote:
    Think it will be drivable but different to road legal because it will not have gone through all the crash tests of a modern vehicle because they are built new (rather than rebuild of a vintage car). Even though it’s a copy of an original it would have to meet stringent laws of a modern vehicle to hit the road (where as I think a vintage DB5 would not have such stringent tests).

Was the same with the DB10 perfectly drivable but had not gone through the full crash tests so not street legal I believe.

Costs to much for a company to set up for such tests for a limited fun of vehicles.

Cheers :007)

I almost rewrote that last bit: I meant can't be driven [on the street] ... as it's highly unlikely an owner would race it either ("Car No.007 is disqualified for slashing his opponents tyres"). I suppose you could just ferry it around to car shows ... but then so could 24 other people.

I think Tennyson could be onto something with the idea it ties to #25 but otherwise I'm a little baffled on this one.