2»

Comments

• Cam008Cam008 Posts: 45MI6 Agent
    I recently tried to watch a repeat of Tati's " Mon Oncle. "

Five minutes was all I could stomach.
  • SpectreOfDefeatSpectreOfDefeat Posts: 404MI6 Agent
    edited September 2020
    In no particular order:

1) Batman 1989- Despite great production design and music, this isn't all its cracked up to be. Keaton lacks physicality and screen presence; Burton's direction is leaden and pretentious; and the film spends far too much time concentrating on the origins of the Joker rather than giving us Batman in action.

2) The Time Bandits- I enjoy most of Terry Gilliam's 'cult' films. Not this one, though. Unsympathetic characters, a cold and unemotional atmosphere, and a baffling ending render this one a confusing bore.

3) Back to the Future- I don't get the hype with this series, really. To my mind at least, Zemickis has made much more mature and imaginative films than this elsewhere (Cast Away, Who Framed Roger Rabbit.) Every cast member overacts to a cartoonish degree; the main plotline is somehow both sacharrine and syrupy, while at the same time being stomach-churningly creepy in places. Vastly overrated fluff.

4) Matilda- I've lost count of the amount of the times I had to watch this 'classic' at family gatherings, etc, as a child. Mean-spirited, badly acted, tonally skewed, genuinely unpleasant. Avoid.

5) Ghostbusters- Another Eighties franchise I never really got into. Dated and meandering, with annoying performances and a predictable storyline.

6) The Terminator- Fantastic effects, definitely, but a lack of emotional core, and the repetitive plot structure struggles to sustain its own length.

7) Kingsman: The Secret Service- Colin Firth is pretty good here, but most of the characters are walking cliches, the comedy feels completely off, and the needlessly flashy violence is distracting.

"The spectre of defeat..."