Advice on visiting Piz Gloria

AndrewBondAndrewBond Skyfall, UKPosts: 64MI6 Agent
So I’m in the process of trying to persuade a friend of mine to come along for a little adventure next year to visit Piz Gloria (from the UK) and would be interested to hear any advice or suggestions for the trip from the ajb007 alumni.

It would probably have to be a shortish trip due to commitments, say 3-4 days in total. Any advice would be welcome, such as best ways for getting there, which city to fly into initially, other Bond and non-Bond related places to visit nearby, best time of the year to go (I’m not a skier so won’t be doing any skiing, but equally I’d prefer to avoid the biggest of the summer crowds if possible), places to stay, etc.

In other words just anything that might be helpful! TIA for any thoughts! :) -{
‘Secret Agent?? On whose side?’

Comments

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    Hi AndrewBond,

I visited PizGloria a few years ago as part of a skiing trip in February. If you're not a skier then you may wish to avoid the winter months. However, I always feel the place has even more of a wow factor seeing it in all its snow and ice covered glory just like in the film. For me, being a huge fan of OHMSS, visiting in the summer wouldn't have felt quite right. Just my opinion.

We stayed in Grindelwald, which was also the location for other scenes in OHMSS. Lovely little town.

You can fly to Zurich or Geneva and transfer via the excellent Swiss public transport system. I would suggest staying in Murren, Wengen or Grindelwald.

The Furka Pass (Goldfinger) is also well worth driving through, however this would be better done in the Summer, not only because of practicality, but again, to capture the essence of the film and pretending you're in a DB5 tracking Goldfinger and Oddjob in their Rolls Royce, whilst dealing with an irate Tilly Masterson in her Mustang :D You may wish to save this for another time though if you only have 3-4 days. Perhaps tie that in as part of a driving holiday and incorporating other Bond locations in northern Italy.

Anyway, good luck with your planning and convincing your friend what a great trip it would be! -{
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    I second that, but I saw it in summer and the views were great, plus you could walk all the way down from the top, at least to Murren, a lovely hike. Not sure if you can do that now 30 years :# later, however. Also, in summer there is maybe more chance of avoiding fog which makes a nonsense of any trip to the Piz Gloria restaurant, as you can see Sweet FA then.

Doesn't Bond's train come into Lauterbrunnen, where he is picked up by Fraulein Bunt? It's the same area I think Grindelwald. It's been a while, but there are some lovely hikes you can do around there so if you nail Piz Gloria straight off you could try some of them.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • AndrewBondAndrewBond Skyfall, UKPosts: 64MI6 Agent
    Thank you The Red Kind and Napoleon Plural for your posts, that’s given me some useful starters for researching a trip! If all goes to plan I may be back next year to pick your brains again nearer the time! Thanks again! :) -{
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    Though I took a Christmas holiday trip to the Jungfaujoch a million years ago, I've kept up with what's changed and what has not in the area since then. What has not are the train prices. They are some of the steepest in Europe. I used up quite a bit of my money just traveling around even though I was only there a week. However, as you are only there a few days, it won't be as bad. I'm really glad I went over Christmas because I got to experience what the place looks and feels like as Bond did in OHMSS. I even went down the Cresta Run (and Fleming was right - it was scary but I would still have done it) and stayed in Zurich, Pontresina and Lauterbrunnen. Piz Gloria was not fully developed as an attraction back then as it is today - you basically just walked around, took photos and could get a snack and hot drink. Unfortunately, given the winter, as I ascended the alp a front moved in an clouded out the whole area. Once we were all at the top, you might as well have been in a glass of milk. Could see down the mountain sides a bit but the entire panorama of the surrounding mountains were blocked out. Was still worth the experience though. Good luck and hope you have a great time. Post photos!
    CmdrAtticus - thanks for that! Yes, I think the thought of going over there for a short holiday and with my luck choosing the days when it’s covered in cloud are putting me off winter, even thought my preference would be for that OHMSS look! I’m leaning more towards early/late Summer to try and minimise no-view possibilities but avoid the biggest of the summer crowds.

Thanks again for your tips, I’ll hopefully pick your brains some more nearer the time! :) -{
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    I visited Piz Gloria as part of a 7 day skiing package holiday. We were favoured with a glorious clear winter day and the views were tremendous. My visit was about 12 years ago, before the addition of the Bond museum stuff.

We stayed in the town of Lauterbrunnen, which as Napoleon Plural pointed out is where Bond gets off the train and meets Irma Bunt. I didn't get the chance to explore Murren, which is a shame. We just passed through on the journey up the various cable cars. The last cable car stop before Schilthorn/Piz Gloria is Birg, which is where Campbell was filmed looking up towards Piz Gloria and of course he has an argument which the cable car operator. It's a nice spot with a deck to relax on and also some nice skiing routes for a novice skier like me. There was no ways I was going to attempt the route down the side of the Schilthorn from Piz Gloria.
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    -{
    AndrewBond wrote:
    CmdrAtticus - thanks for that! Yes, I think the thought of going over there for a short holiday and with my luck choosing the days when it’s covered in cloud are putting me off winter, even thought my preference would be for that OHMSS look! I’m leaning more towards early/late Summer to try and minimise no-view possibilities but avoid the biggest of the summer crowds.

Thanks again for your tips, I’ll hopefully pick your brains some more nearer the time! :) -{
    Golrush - thanks for your post! Yes, I think checking out Murren and Lauterbrunnen sound like the Bondian thing to do! Thanks for your insight! :)