AJB live commentary on QUANTUM OF SOLACE

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    EON should have shown more patience. Quantum should have remained the big bad during all of Craig's tenure, with Silva being an independent. Spectre should have been saved for the next Bond actor with Blofeld in the shadows for 2-3 films.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,323Chief of Staff
    BB: Hey Michael, we have the rights to use Spectre and Blofeld now!
    MGW: Great, let's build to that over the next film or two. We've arranged Quantum just nicely.
    BB: No, let's go straight into it- in fact, let's call the next film "Spectre"! Bring back Blofeld!
    MGW: Well, ok. What could go wrong?
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    edited June 2020
    Barbel wrote:
    Yes, without naming it in SP. How hard would it have been to slip in one or two lines of dialogue (say, in the scene with Mr White) to make things clearer?

The GF/SF parallel is true.

I think in SP Bond does mention Quantum by name once. But it could have been made more explicit in SP's screenplay that Quantum was a subsidiary of SPECTRE.

The whole retcon is clumsy. For example, LeChiffre in CR wasn't properly an agent of either organisation. He appears, there, to be an independent criminal financier who's introduced by Mr White's organisation (which thereby acts like an agency rather than as his employer). SP seems retrospectively to pass around the octopus ring to all and sundry.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Yes, without naming it in SP. How hard would it have been to slip in one or two lines of dialogue (say, in the scene with Mr White) to make things clearer?

Quantum is mentioned by name in the phone call with Moneypenny in Rome.
    "Clumsy" is the word.
    emtiem wrote:

Yes, I know- I'm generalising again, forgive me
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

Yes, I know- I'm generalising again, forgive me

Ah right: when you said 'without naming it' I thought you meant... well, y'know ;)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    that's actually a bad thing since I have an improved plot for QoS I think he would like:
    An evil idiot called ASP9mm wants to monopolize the world's wristwatch market and replace the competition with plastic watches. :v

Yeah, that sounds very much like that idiot - him X-( X-(

Apologies for dropping out yesterday, I've had a very long day and short night, I was just too tired to follow along.
    What sticks is that - with the exception of the title song (yuck), the sound of that movie is really outstanding!

The more often I see QoS, I can forgive the flaws and I can enjoy the beautiful cinematography which shines, when it's not chopped for the action sequences. Just imagine if the car chase would have been 1 1/2 minutes longer......
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    emtiem wrote:

Ah right: when you said 'without naming it' I thought you meant... well, y'know ;)

All right- without making a clear point of it, like they should have. Apologies.
    Number24 wrote:
    Bond suffocates Elvis with his toupee?

And then presents it to the widow as a.... heirloom?
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,569Chief of Staff
    Barbel wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Someone loves CR67 :v
    YNWA 97
    Barbel wrote:
    Another Way To Die- Various edits/mixes of this thing are available, if anyone is mad enough to want them.

Oh, oh...me, me :D
    YNWA 97
    Barbel wrote:
    M falls out of shot.

Or should she just have stood there and waited to be shot? :o :p
    YNWA 97
    No.The director should have shot the scene in a way that makes it clear what's happening.
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Someone got the joke! :D
    Number24 wrote:
    No.The director should have shot the scene in a way that makes it clear what's happening.

Absolutely.
    Barbel wrote:
    Gymkata wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    As with so much in this film, Camille's back markings are never explained.

To that point, there's no way that a woman would wear a shirt like that with those scars. Most guys wouldn't either.

True, so we're supposed to notice it... and then it's never explained.

I thought they were explained as being caused by the fire Medrano started?

Honestly Barbel - you should come round and watch MY copy of QoS, it seems I have a different copy to yours :D
    YNWA 97
    Number24 wrote:

It is. Very clear.
    YNWA 97
    Barbel wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

Someone got the joke! :D

Well, I do like that film too :))
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    Gymkata wrote:

To that point, there's no way that a woman would wear a shirt like that with those scars. Most guys wouldn't either.

True, so we're supposed to notice it... and then it's never explained.

I thought they were explained as being caused by the fire Medrano started?

Honestly Barbel - you should come round and watch MY copy of QoS, it seems I have a different copy to yours :D

Maybe I should!
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

It is. Very clear.

If it's that clear, why are we still discussing it? There's no such discussion about the freerunning scene in CR or the fight in the Gipsy camp in FRWL.
    Number24 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

It is. Very clear.

If it's that clear, why are we still discussing it? There's no such discussion about the freerunning scene in CR or the fight in the Gipsy camp in FRWL.

I wasn’t.

The free running scene lasts slightly longer than someone ducking down - by about 10 minutes...same for the gypsy camp fight...both of which don’t feature M. So apart from those points - spot on :p
    YNWA 97
    There's discussion about it above, though.
    Barbel wrote:
    There's discussion about it above, though.

That didn’t include me, apart from offering the logical explanation...my offer still stands of seeing the version I have of QoS :D
    YNWA 97
    It must be some heretofore unheard of extended edition, in which plot points are actually explained.
    How should we call the few QoS fanboys - or the only -boy :s

Dominictrices? Camillites? Elvis fans.. oh wait, that's taken (and has been for more than half a century).
    Barbel wrote:
    It must be some heretofore unheard of extended edition, in which plot points are actually explained.

It really must be as I don’t find it hard to follow at all....well apart from Mathis - I still can’t work out if he was a double agent or not :s :))
    YNWA 97
    IMHO he wasn't. In CR06 Le Chiffre tells Craig (I often can't bring myself to call him Bond) that Mathis is his friend to draw suspicion away from Vesper. Apart from that there's no indication that he's a double agent.
    How about Whitekeys ? :v