Welcome to the NEW Forum

123457»

Comments

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,126MI6 Agent

I may have missed it being discussed elsewhere, but is there no longer the option to preview your post before officially posting?

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,929MI6 Agent
    edited June 2021

the Editing window is pretty much WYSIWYG as they used to say (what you see is what you get).

As you format your text, making bits bold or pasting in graphics, you should see what its going to look like Live as you edit.

EDIT: and if you post and then decide you don't like it, you can always click this little gear shaped icon in the top right corner...

...to Edit an existing post, as I've just done

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,126MI6 Agent

Thanks CP.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,208Chief of Staff

I can't get the hang of the new spoiler technique- all help appreciated!

1) Spoiler free reviews

2) Reviews with spoilers

3) Why didn't they use Fleming?

4) Parts taken from YOLT novel

5) Angry! (At the ending)

I think these are all valid, but then 3 of them are mine.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,929MI6 Agent

some of those thread titles are themselves spoilers!

also there's yet another new NTtD thread appearing in the The James Bond Films category subforum, could these get moved as they appear? Again, sometimes the thread title itself is a spoiler, its getting deucedly difficult to avoid them

edited October 2021

barbel sez:

I can't get the hang of the new spoiler technique- all help appreciated!

Use the widget to the left of the Edit window shaped like a backwards P

Let's say you want to hide an important spoiler about the identity of the new Bond villain

The villain in the new Bond movie is actually ....

...Freddy Mercury!

Select the text ...Freddy Mercury with your cursor, and click the backwards P widget

You see these four icons appear, third of which is a double quote "

Click on the double quote " and there appears a dropdown with three more choices, the third of which is Spoiler.

Click that, you should now have

The villain in the new Bond movie is actually ....

...Freddy Mercury!

And it looks like the text that you want Spoilered needs to be its own line, you cant start a Spoiler in the middle of a line or the whole line get Spoilered, you have to separate with a linebreak

Thanks, caractacus, but as you can see from the Imaginary Conversations thread I finally managed to figure it out. 👍

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent

Is my screen on the way out or is there a sort of left to right rolling gun barrel behind the logo now? (went back a few pages and couldn't see any discussion)

Looks cool.

I see it too! Don't remember that from earlier.

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters

A nice addition to the site!

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,669MI6 Agent

Yes, it must be our new logo. Very nice!

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,694MI6 Agent

Heh, I just spotted that too and came to this thread to see if it had been mentioned :)

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,669MI6 Agent
    edited November 2021

I see that our founder and admin @SiCo was signed in earlier today for the first time in a while so that would explain the change to the new logo. I approve! 🙂

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    edited November 2021

I saw NTtD and got a burst of inspiration and thought I better finish up some loose ends!

I loved the callback to Dr No with circles!

I’m slowly working through issues but becoming disillusioned with my choice of forum software!

I’ve read all your comments and I am coming up with fixes.

Simon

I have no problems with the software or my end: the only thing is it would be nice to be able to quote parts of other posts rather than the whole thing, but otherwise I think it’s an improvement.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,238MI6 Agent

@emtiem says

the only thing is it would be nice to be able to quote parts of other posts rather than the whole thing.

But you can !

1. Highlight the relevant passage.
    2. Copy and paste into the reply box.
    3. Go to the left hand margin, outside the reply box, you'll see a pair of quotation marks. Usually this is a paragraph indent icon, but because you've quoted, it is quotation marks. Similarly if you write a list like this, it gives you the list icon.
    4. Touch your cursor over that and 4 options appear, one of which is the quotation mark symbol. Click on it.
    5. You will be given three options QUOTE, CODEBLOCK, SPOILER.
    6. Click on QUOTE.
    7. A black line will appear on the left hand side of the quote [as above] and the passage will become italicised.
    8. You will notice once you continue to type, the line also continues and everything appears in italics. To stop this, press ENTER for a new line, then BACKSPACE, then your DOWN ARROW. The quote line disappears and you can carry on your reply as normal.
    9. If you want to notify the author, simply type @emtiem or whoever - a list of names appears after the first two letters are typed - [as above]
    10. They receive an alarm notification [top of the page RHS next to the message icon.]

I think it’s an improvement.

Simple. Try it and quote me back.

edited November 2021

Thanks, yes. Funnily enough I literally did just that on another thread before I saw yours(!) but it's not as nice a system as the usual quote method and requires a lot of faff, especially to put the poster's name in.

But, y'know, it's fine; it's not the end of the world.

it reads better since @SiCo switched it to automatic italics, it was harder to differentiate the quote from the response before.

Any chance of making the quoted text @chrisno1 mentions grey background like the text resulting from the simpler quote function?

• OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 583MI6 Agent

Is there still a way to quote individual parts of a previous post by another member, rather than the whole thing? I used this quite often and cannot seem to find it. Sorry if this has been asked before.

"I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."

See post 200 above

See post 200 above

Oops. that's rather embarassing, answered two posts above mine. 🙃 Anyhow, I'm glad it still exists!

• writingsonthewallwritingsonthewall SpainPosts: 417MI6 Agent

Sorry if I'm the only one to notice, but the new typeface for the logo makes me think of Playmobil.

Now you can't unsee it either.

"Enjoy it while it lasts."
    "The very words I live by."

Maybe I'm blind but I cannot seem to find my Outbox (sent messages)? This is both on phone and pc.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,510Chief of Staff

I believe there isn’t an outbox anymore…all PM’s are now in one all encompassing inbox.

YNWA 97

yes they display like they're a Thread, but with only two participants, both the To and From messages in sequence. in that sense its probably better to be able to see the whole conversation rather than half of it. I don't think we can quote at all in the PM conversations, so it helps to see the text that is being responded to.

I can't remember if we could do this before, but you can PM more than one person, and it becomes like a private thread with just the invited parties.

Ok, thanks, makes sense. I had seen that but a sent message didnt show up until there was a response, which is what had me confused.