Post Editor Testing

2»

Comments

• SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M

@Silhouette Man @caractacus potts I've found them! It appears the spam, flood and moderation controls are a lot stronger on this software. There are a load of posts queueing up. It appears members can be double verified and their posts don't go to spam so I will look at how I can apply that. I will look at it later and let the mods know what appears to happen.

In the meantime if others see posts disappear please let us know.

As for the post limit, it appears to be at 8000 characters, I've set it to 20,000 see how you get on.

Simon
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

Thanks so much, @SiCo. It's great to see that topic from 2018 I created back on my discussions list again. I was worried it was gone for good. It is one of my favourites from the discussions I've created here so I'm glad I didn't lose it!

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

thanks for restoring those posts @SiCo . Much easier than me trying too sort out the mess I left here last night!

yeh editing lengthy posts is more problematic in this new environment.

in the "old days" I would copy back and forth to a text file, as I added my formatting and corrected typos, the old [b]tags[/b] could be copied and pasted back and forth and still work. This new wysiwig environment is easier for formatting quick posts, but I don't think the formatting can be copied and pasted to a text editor and back.

Yes it doesn’t seem ideal. I will see if there is an option to choose which editor you use. The old posts should still be in Bbcode and they should open in the appropriate editor.

you might be able to copy from Word or Google Docs as is. I will experiment.

Simon
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

but I did really like being able to drag in jpg's from my harddrive, they both have their pro's and con's

So there appears to be no options with these editors. We can either have the rich editor as it is, which reading up on does have some performance issues and there is no fix for the quotes issue.

Or we can swap to an enhanced editor, which is much like the old one with a toolbar. This does have a WYSIWYG style so you see bolded text as bold as you type etc. Or we can use the same thing with either bbcode or markdown as the format of choice. There is no ability to pick and choose as you edit (I.e. one editor quick posts and one for longer posts).

I am testing the enhanced editor on my computer and it has its own issues! I am at a loss as to which is the best way to go. The only thing I can think of is changing the editor here for a week and see if anyone notices!

Simon
    edited March 2021

just testing to make sure we can copy formatted text, including hyperlinks, from one post (even a PM) and paste into another in a different thread, and it still works

Dr. No (1962)

From Russia with Love (1963)

Goldfinger (1964)

(helping the Boss prepare his Ye Index to All Royal Premieres)

EDIT: and they seem to still work, so that's a handy lesson learned!