Massimo Alba Duster

Hello all,

I hope this is an ok area to post this topic.

I’ve been increasingly interested in purchasing the Massimo Alba duster but a few things:

Absolutely zero clue what size I am in this particular jacket (I know my general size obviously, but never had anything like this). I am located in the U.S. so international returns are an absolute nightmare and insanely expensive for some reason, so a bit of a risk.

Does Massimo Alba ever have any sales or any other secondary websites that carry the duster have any discount as it is a bit of a risk to just guess my size?

Again, I hope this is the right area for this discussion. I appreciate any help on this!

Comments

• Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

These run large and are quite billowy (is that a word?), mine certainly is. If you’re a 40 chest, maybe think about getting a 38, even a 36 for a more fitted look.

I think Mr Porter had them about 6 months ago, they may even have gone into sale, but they frequently pop up on eBay usually north of £600.

David Zaritsky did a helpful review on his YouTube channel that will help you with sizing.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • FerinstalFerinstal North of Londinium...Posts: 310MI6 Agent

The general advice on the duster is to size down one size. I normally take a 40” chest (50 in Italian sizing) in coats/jackets but, having spoken to Alessandro at MA, went for a 48 (Italian size) and it fits me perfectly. Any sizing info I would suggest you contact Alessandro at MA ( alessandro.figliuolo@massimoalba.com ). He will be able to help you out.

Re: other outlets. I know Mr Porter and Farfetch have stocked previously. May be worth checking on sites like that.

Yes. Considerably.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

I am also a 40" (50 Italian) and went for a 48 in the Sloop Suit and it fits me perfectly. Granted that's the suit and not the duster, but chances are the size-to-fit would be similar I would think.

I can also recommend contacting Alessandro at MA. He - and everyone at MA - were exceptionally helpful.

Once you know your size, I’d also post a ‘WTB - MA Duster Rain’ on here. Feels like a number of people who bought it originally aren’t too keen on it now, so you may find somebody willing to sell theirs to you.

Personally, I love mine and, now that autumn is here, I’m wearing it a lot!

Yes. Considerably.
  • Cg23Cg23 Posts: 242MI6 Agent

Thank you all so much i really appreciate the feedback!

I most definitely have checked out DZ’s review (multiple times)

I think I have an idea of my size. Im about a size smaller than DZ so probly around a 38”ish chest? But why Im hoping to find at a little less than retail due to the crazy return prices for U.S. customers. For some reason shipping to the U.S. isnt too bad but shipping out of the U.S. return or not is brutal. Also, just hoping to find a decent deal just because it’s an item I feel like I like but really needs to be checked out in person due to sizing etc., as I’ve heard mixed reviews from those that own it but from me looking at it from the outside I do dig it.

Haven’t been able to find it anywhere else other than the MA site (I’ve been looking everywhere constantly for a while like a wierdo).

I will definitely list a WTB in the sales section and cross my fingers. Thank you all again. I really appreciate the help from each of you

I'm in Canada and have similar problems with returns to Europe. I suspect that retailers get special rates from courier companies that don't apply to individuals like us when it comes to returns. It does make it all a bit frightening waiting to see if something fits properly.

I would say that it is the same in reverse when there are items in the US / CA etc and we wish to buy them in UK / Europe.

The RGT jacket was a great example of that. c.£200 to buy - but +£90 in custom charges and if I needed to send it back, it would have all been at my cost.

Damn this internet and it’s tempting ways to show us clothes in far off lands…! ;-)

Yes. Considerably.

Let's pull the plug on the whole thing, I say! What you, Ferinstal?

edited October 2021

Hahahaha…well I think they tried to do that a week ago when F***book and Insta-tart and those other I terweb things broke for 20 mins. I understand some people were on the verge of finding a book to read…! Perish the thought 😀

I mean, if only our world could just get on as one happy, loving, tax / post free Bond clothing community. To be fair, I think they tried that once with the ‘European Union’ (EU)…and that worked out really well (‘cough’ - Brexit - ‘cough’)!!! 🤣

Yes. Considerably.