The Horror. The Horror

Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,267MI6 Agent

This is a simple observation lifted from someone called GingerFreaker on Mumsnet.

Sadly, the next time there's a Bond movie it may not be On Her Majesty's Secret Service any more, but On HIS Majesty's Secret Service.

Putting aside the passing of Sir Rog and Sir Sean, from the time of Bond's creation by Ian Fleming in the early 50s until now, it's always been Queen Elizabeth on the throne, throughout all the books and the films, for the last 70 or so years.

Okay, there may be another film in the next five years and she may live til Philip's age, or the Queen Mother's even. All the same, it's a sobering thought.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,758MI6 Agent

She's most likely the only person in Britain who was in public service when James Bond was new who's still serving today.

• Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

Still gets me that Craig acted alongside HM in a Bond scene.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,189Chief of Staff
    edited October 2021

I looked at this thread with the full intention of closing it, since I totally misinterpreted the title as referring to the end of the movie and we don't need any more of those.

Instead, this is about something which we Brits take for granted. The Queen has been part of most of our lives for so long that it seems she will go on forever. We've seen Charles grow old waiting for his turn and becoming the butt of jokes in the process. The day she passes has to come, but none of us like to think about it- except for the BBC, of course, who've got it all planned out and are aiming for saturation coverage.

So, thanks NP, for this. Food for thought.

Edit: Now that Philip's gone, there's no-one left who can call her by name. A strange thought, and a sad one.

• JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent

Wouldn't it be interesting to see Bond in the service of a British Republic one day?

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,758MI6 Agent

On the Prime Minister's Secret Service?

The horror .... 😲

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters

It's good point, and a rather large one - so large, in fact, that Elizabeth's continuing presence might be taken for granted, especially by we Yanks, who see her from more of a distance.

I was recently struck by the realization of her longevity by watching documentary footage of her interacting with the Beatles in the early '60s: a lovely woman who clearly meets the strictest definition of regal. Charles' reign, when it comes, will almost certainly suffer by comparison, no matter what he does - which is liable to be relatively little.

Regardless of what outsiders might think about the Monarchy in the modern era, I would think that such a transition will inevitably have some sort of effect on Cinematic Bond; something beyond a picture on a wall.

Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent

UK can never become a Republic. At least I hope not in my lifetime!