Pirates...

So over the last week I have noticed several Bond 'influencers' post images or video of themselves clearly watching pirated copies of NTTD on social media.

Apart from my immediate reaction; given these channels are purporting to be fans and, more relevant here, also monetising that fandom splashing around pirated copies makes you look like a 🔔🔚 it did make me curious what others think about pirating Bond?

I understand that people might be extra tempted this time for covid related reasons, but equally there has been a lot of discussion about Box Office of NTTD and people making arguments and drawing conclusions from that, and piracy is definitely a part of the Box Office conversation.

My own personal views are probably warped by recalling the pros and cons of the heady days of Limewire and Napster...

Comments

• RevelatorRevelator Posts: 578MI6 Agent

I don't think there's any excuse for Bond fans to watch pirated copies of NTTD. Unless they're in a complete lockdown zone (very unlikely) they can go to the theater if they want to watch or re-watch it, or just wait a couple weeks for streaming to begin. Though it looks like the film is a commercial success, Bond fans should feel an obligation to support the franchise, not undermine it.

And on an aesthetic level watching a pirated copy of this film is a crime. NTTD is beautiful-looking movie that is best seen in the theater, not on a monitor screen as a degraded bootleg copy. Cinematographers go to great lengths to make movies look beautiful, yet some people have no qualms about watching bootlegs with hideous visual quality.

• superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent

I hate the practice. It speaks volumes about the character of those who do it.

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....