Book Covers

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    edited January 2022

A Norwegian (bokmål) edition of Thunderball:

Moonraker

Live and let die (Translation: The ghost of the voodoo priest)

Moonraker:

edited January 2022

Some Danish editions:

Diamonds Are Forever

DAF (James Bond plays with high stakes)

DN (Operation Murder)

Goldfinger (Death must wait)

TSWLM (I loved James Bond)

Thunderball

OHMSS (The games is up, James Bond)

LALD (Bloody road to Jamaica)

The Danish source claims this is Moonraker, but based on the title (James Bond and the thunderbolt) I think it's TB. I don't think there's anything else to say about this cover ....

Generally I'd say Scandinavia's reputation of being particualarely liberal and sexually liberated is pure slander, completely unfounded. These are a few comic book covers:

Octopussy (Underwater death)

TMWTGG

Could this be YOLT? (The devil's garden)

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,172MI6 Agent

They are fun. I love the translations: "The Game Is Up, Mr Bond!" And commentators moaned about "No Deals, Mr Bond."

As promised here is the first batch of my Modesty Blaise Pan softback collection. The first is the famous movie tie. They were all repackaged in the late sixties before the model and outfit was changed for the 1970 offering The Impossible Virgin. The inspiration was Monica Vitti, whose promo picture I've attached for comparison. At least I think that's her, she used several wigs in the movie, but I don't ever remember her wearing the black cat suit.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    edited January 2022

Number24, there is indeed something else to say about "James Bond Og Torden Kilen" but I'll leave it to someone else to comment.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent
    edited January 2022

@chrisno1 posted...

yes that model looks more like Monica Vitti and the way Hollaway drew the character in the comic strip, so they changed models after the fifth book?

that first film tie in is definitely one of the ones I have

@Number24 posted...

well that certainly looks like an exciting adventure! lots of movement and action

somethings about to spiller out!

since we're talking about the Bond paperbacks, and @CoolHandBond showed us some of the PANs, I must point out the 007 Magazine website has the most incredible collection of information about the PANs, covering many pages with exhaustive background info on the artists and various printings, and examples of prepress original artwork. Start on this page Part One: The Original Face of James Bond and keep clicking Continue at the bottom of each page to read the detailed history of the PANs. When I first discovered this site I probably spent a full month absorbing all the info!

their page on the Daily Express comic strip is pretty interesting too, with some rare strips that didnt make it into the Titan collected editions

edited January 2022

Now the Swedes:

LALD

Moonraker (Assassination, or in a wider sense - attack)

DAF ("Death cheats")

DAF (Diamond fever)

FRWL (Comerade murderer)

FRWL (007 sees red)

DN (Death in Jamaica)

FYEO (From a deadly viewpoint)

Thunderball (The ball of ash)

TSWLM (Beloved spy)

OHMSS

YOLT (The devil's Garden) comic book cover.

TMWTGG

No takers? The lovely lady in the cards is the late Molly Peters, Patricia Fearing in TB, thus strengthening N24's idea that this is TB rather than MR.

I've tried to find examples of Icelandic Bond Bond covers, but my Icelandic is much more limited than my understanding of the Scandinavian languages. I leave finding cover art from Finland to members from that country since that's an entirely different language group.

There are of course lots of other countries where we all would like to see covers from, so please post!

edited January 2022

While the cover art is great to look at, I like to see how Fleming's titles are translated in different languages. Titles like "The devil's garden" and "Operation Thundercloud" are pretty predictable, but more inventive titles like "Underwater death", "Comerade murderer", "Ghost of the voodoo priest" and "James Bond sees red" are real gems I think.

There's an idea for a thread in itself- how the titles are translated.

edited January 2022

It could be, but it can simply be a part of this thread.

Another Swedish cover for DN (Death in Jamaica)

OHMSS

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

These foreign covers of Bond novels are excellent! One can see why movie Bond was so taken with Pat Fearing 😍

As most will know, Christopher Wood (TSWLM/MR scriptwriter) wrote a series of books, under a pseudonym, that were later turned into a movie franchise starring Robin Askwith. These are a few of them;

And he followed it up with a female version, Rosie Dixon.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 461MI6 Agent

I thought you were talking about the title, so I put it into Google Translate: 'James Bond and the Thunder Wedge'.

@CoolHandBond Timothy Lea? oh dear Lord, no...

Do you jave anything to confess, CHB? 😏

I found some interesting MR covers:

That second one is really good.

I like them both.

edited January 2022

I’m writing Confessions Of A Secondhand Bookseller right now 😂

To paraphrase what I’ve said before, I didn’t write them, I just used to sell them 😁

Authors writing under pseudonyms has been a feature of publishing since the invention of the printing press. One such author, James Moffatt, wrote a series of lurid books during the 70’s under several names, male and female, including his own. But it was under his pen name of Richard Allen where he gained his greatest success In selling millions of copies of youth culture books. I would imagine that every teenaged schoolboy of the seventies would have read at least one of his books. I know that they used to be passed around our classroom until they fell to pieces.

Have you seen the 2005-06 comedy series "Stacked" starring Pamela Anderson? It's much better than it has any right to be (daming with faint praise, but I had fun watching it), and it takes place in a book store.

I’ve never heard of it. If it ever comes onto one of the streaming platforms that I subscribe to I will give it a look.

I like these Fu Manchu covers from Pyramid, and the Corgi artwork is good but let down by the typeface.

edited January 2022

Here is the first episode of Stacked, for free on the net. I wouldn't pay for it, because it's not that good 😁

Stacked S01E01 - video Dailymotion

edited January 2022

My next batch from Modesty Blaise. These are from 1972 / 3 following the paperback publications of The Impossible Virgin and Pieces of Modesty (the latter was never printed in hardback). For some reason, only Sabre Tooth and I Lucifer received this white look. Pan did a similar series of white covers for Bond in 1969. As you can see, if you compare the pictures, the model, her hairstyle and attire is different to that on the taupe covers from 1967 - 1973.

Edit: This is the correct image. I am not sure why Pan decided to continue to issue the taupe covers of Modesty Blaise and A Taste for Death. if you refer back to my pics you'll see they all feature the Pink Label top left hand cornet, while the '60s copies of Sabre Tooth and I Lucifer have the Yellow and White Label in the right hand corner.

Pan did a lot of peculiar marketing in the 1970s...

Sometimes collectors want books with painted covers by a particular artist, Robert Maguire was one who was popular amongst many others.

It wasn’t just a plethora of copycat spy movies that occurred when Bond became the 60’s sensation, a legion of books followed too.

And the list became endless…

Modesty Blaise 3:

Mostly from 1977. The Silver Mistress was issued in softback in 1975 along with Modesty Blaise, A Taste for Death and I, Lucifer. I can only assume the other versions had too many White Cover stock copies remaining to warrant reprinting. That's interesting, as I understood Pan would remove the soft cover and glue the new cover onto the original binding. Perhaps this practice had stopped by the seventies. Last Day in Limbo was paperback released in 1977 and has what I consider the worst Modesty cover ever. It's not even original, being a close up of the photo from Pieces of Modesty.

These are pretty funny to be fair and used to go for a lot of money before eBay came along.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent
    edited January 2022

I've got a copy of Loxfinger sitting on my bookshelf, I have yet to read it, thanks for reminding me!

I think it was the one and only Israel Bond thriller I ever found, for once I was smart enough to make the impulse purchase

coolhand sez:

These are pretty funny to be fair and used to go for a lot of money before eBay came along.

I just checked and I paid $3.99! I got a bargain!

the first three covers are done in the style of the signet editions, the fourth one is a famous Japanese print: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Katsushika Hokusai, 1829-ish

edited January 2022

That’s a good purchase, Caractacus, and good information about the cover!

Jason Love was a popular series as a rival to Bond in the 60’s, portrayed by the great David Niven in Where The Spies Are.

And Rod Taylor played The Liquidator, by future Bond continuation author John Gardner.