Summarizing the D.C era collecting

Matt BMatt B Posts: 366MI6 Agent

What are your favorite pieces?

is it the “kill outfits” like the John varvatos and Billy Reid or do you prefer the TF suits? Maybe you’re partial to the Sunspel polos and orlebar brown resort wear?

No.1. My favorite is by far the Barbour. It was so elegant yet it felt rugged and wearable. Mine is in preservation/storage but I have another Barbour that I wear with different color n peal sweaters in the fall.

no1.5 tied with the Barbour has to be the peacoat and the woolly pulls. Just so classic and looks great on everyone. The real navy versions are Super accessible for little money.

No 2. The Sunspel polo. Affordable for most people, doesn’t feel like costume play and classic.

No 3. The greatcoat. there are a gorgeous actual navy greatcoats for sale that cost very little.

No 4. The Harrington jacket. Basically D.C wears a barracuta G4 Jacket. easy for anyone to find used or new for a reasonable sum.

No 5. The shawl collar tuxedo. Lots of brands now sell ones that look the ticket and it’s a classic that you’ll wear forever.

No 6. The knitwear . Craig made knitwear look cool again in a Steve McQueen way. Respect.

Comments

• This is awesome! Great collection here. Definitely knitwear for me although I only have the black cardigan, would love to get the blue and also the SA bomber jacket, that’s a great find!

• CajunCajun Posts: 483MI6 Agent
    edited February 2022

The best things about DC's wardrobe are the timelessness of most of the pieces and regularly available alternatives because they're such classic staples. Never before Craig had I been inspired to model my casual wardrobe after any of Bond's outfits. When I watch CR or QoS, none of the clothing says "so early 2000s" to me.

I edit, therefore I am.
  • This is so true, it’s all elegant but casual and then his suits and tuxedos are just unbelievably suave and it feels good to be at a point where you can spend the money on even just one of those high fashion items that he wore in the films or just daily life

• OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 584MI6 Agent

The Barbour is surely a favorite for its look, but hardly wearable for me due to the unusual fit and inner plastic layer, sadly. I still like all the pieces from QoS the most, harringtons, chukka boots, cardigan and polos is what his style was all about. :) The suits may have been stylish but kept getting tighter and less traditional with each movie. Also, might I ask which scarf this is on your first photo?

"I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
  • True, QoS was definitely more classic. I didn’t even consider wearing a cardigan till I saw DC in one and I was like…”If Bond can do it”

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent

Love TF Cardigans. Think I own 5 lol

Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Matt BMatt B Posts: 366MI6 Agent

Hey buddy, totally agree , I never wear the Tokito, my go to is my Barbour Beaufort. One can layer under it nicely and it’s bulletproof. The scarf is Tom Ford brown cashmere scarf. Not sure if it’s 100% screen accurate but looks right to me so I go with it.

• Nice! You should get a picture of all of them so I can stare enviously 😂

• Matt BMatt B Posts: 366MI6 Agent
    edited March 2022
  • drum007drum007 New York, NYPosts: 684MI6 Agent

The Solden jacket for me. I’m amazed how versatile it is and how much use I get out of it from fall to spring.

• Alex006Alex006 Posts: 156MI6 Agent

While I have fond memories of the Billy Reid Bond peacoat (it got me here, after all), I'll forever think of the NTTD Omega watch as the single, defining piece of Craig's Bond tenure.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent

And people on here HATED it upon reveal 😂

Hehe, I could see why folks hate it, but the fauxpatina is just so tastefully done that it was love at first sight for me! As for the mesh strap... I admit, that took me a while to get on board, but that's what NATO's are for, right?

Seriously though, I just think the blend of those little vintage design elements, and even the divisive broad arrow in a more aggressive case and bezel, they all add up to represent what Craig's take on Bond is meant to be; more utilitarian, and a throwback to the classic Bond novels.

Personally, I don't think any other of his gear pieces alone encapsulate his character as well as that watch did, but that's just my two cents.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    edited March 2022

As the NTTD Seamaster on a NATO is what Nomi is wearing in the MI6 office and Belmarsh scenes, I think that takes away from calling this watch THE DC encapsulation piece - or maybe that cements it, as his run ends with a passing of the torch, so it stands to reason the watch isn't just his...

Ooh, that's a nice one! The Spectre Omega is the one that got away for me... Completely agree about the value; I sat on the fence when it was released, and now it's easily worth almost double the original price.

However, I'm not sure I agree that availability/exclusivity would make for a defining character gear piece? For the same reason I don't think that the no-longer-produced air pistol Connery holds in his iconic Bond character is as defining as the PPK. Sure, that air pistol is iconic in its own right, but that's more to do with how that poster defined the tone for Bond posters to come...

Just my opinion though.

• Law007316Law007316 Posts: 41MI6 Agent

Hey Matt. Where did you pick up those awesome greatcoats???

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited March 2022

That’s my fault as I handled the film prototype static stunt and then announced the news based upon that. The brown in that was much lighter than the one we got retail months later. In fact the screen used prototypes were all a little lighter in colour. Didn’t look that great and I was very negative about it. I really love the final piece though, it’s one of the favourite pieces in my collection.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent

Now that’s a watch I would love to see - the prototypes.. both NTTD & SP.. when you it was the film prototype @Asp9mm , do you know if it was used at all.. I know when the first Jamaica production spy shots came out people disapproved of the blurry brown blob on his wrist then.

That’s all they used. The screen used ones were all ‘prototypes’. Same with SPECTRE.

• TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent

I saw a SPECTRE one in Bond in Motion when last in the Uk, that looked identical to the retail one.. hopefully a NTTD one will pop up in an auction or exhibition so we can see

I did post pictures of it. And then someone else did later. They should still be on here.

The SPECTRE one was exactly as it appeared retail. It just lacked any 007 markings on the back and had matte hardware on the strap fixings and buckle.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,705MI6 Agent
    edited March 2022

Here's the one at Bond in Motion at the moment:

I can't spot the difference between that and the retail ones I've seen, but I guess if it was a prop from the film (and not just a special prop made for exhibitions which I guess is possible) it could have been one seen in close-ups, perhaps filmed later in the production.

They've also got Primo's chunky Hamilton on show too.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,705MI6 Agent

I know what you mean and it's funny because at the time I thought the Spectre watch was the really memorable one: I didn't think they'd improve upon that. Also the Brosnan-style blue Seamaster has always left me a bit cold, and yet I love this one as much as everyone else.

In terms of the defining piece of Craig's tenure though I think I'd agree with Matt B's suggestion of the SF Barbour though. That feels like the one which really cut through beyond fans and had so many people watching the film wanting it because Craig made it look so good.