Why does Goldfinger gas the mob?

sirsosirso Posts: 209MI6 Agent

Why does Goldfinger gas the mob?

He tells them about his Fort Knox plan, then gasses them. If he had no intention of letting them take part in the plan, why invite them to the briefing?

Comments

• Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,156MI6 Agent

They had all paid him good money towards the plan, so now he no longer needed them.

Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,196MI6 Agent

The Mob scene is for us, the viewer, to explain the plot of the movie. Logically, of course, as gymkata says, it makes no sense, but it’s best not to delve too deeply into these things, just pour a mint julep, sit back, and enjoy one of the best Bond movies ever made.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • sirsosirso Posts: 209MI6 Agent
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,705MI6 Agent
    edited February 2022

It is a perennial question. The only explanation can really be that Goldfinger is either incredibly vain or insane; both are probably true but it doesn't make for the most satisfying plotting.

Same with his reasoning for not lasering Bond in two: it sort of works but doesn't feel like it entirely hangs together. Most villains kill people who know too much: somehow that keeps Bond alive!

And then you have to factor in letting Mr Solo drive off: if you're planning to kill everyone in the room why let one of them walk out and then kill him separately? And why not just get Oddjob to break his neck before he even leaves the ranch? It's all good fun but Auric is clearly off his rocker.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,942MI6 Agent

That was a very expensive looking presentation he gave to those doomed men what with the pool table turned architectural model and all. If he loved only gold he could have saved himself a few gold bars not bothering with it at all.

Also why separate out the one problem mobster and kill him separately ? That's even more expensive, and I think ends up happening after the other mobsters are dead. Goldfinger maybe needs someone with an MBA to help him find efficiencies, not invest everything in hairbrained schemes to raid Fort Knox.

I think maybe the issue is in the book the gangsters were with him right up til the raid, it was mostly their men doing the grunt work and fighting. The film writes them out of those later scenes yet still keeps them for the big meeting scene for exposition and dramatic purposes, so has to have an excuse for them to exit the story. just not a very logical one.

edited February 2022

It is a scene that A View To A Kill improves upon, from a plot logic point of view anyway.

And then Max 'n' May say "What a view" "To a kill!" and any sense of logic goes out the zeppelin window 😄

• SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 407MI6 Agent

Zorin's plot is not exposed yet but after the meeting in the zeppelin, we can easily guess what he plans to do. Those words are only supposed to "tease" the audience. I never had any problem with that.

Yes indeed, and crucially he only kills the guy who decides to leave the meeting! 😁

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,942MI6 Agent

emtiem sez:

It is a scene that A View To A Kill improves upon, from a plot logic point of view anyway.

and its closer to the book!

Fleming sez:

'Gentlemen and madam.' He looked sadly round the group. 'I have received bad news. Our friend Mr Helmut Springer has met with an accident. He fell down the stairs. Death was instantaneous.' 

'Ho, ho!' Mr Ring's laugh was not a laugh. It was a hole in the face. 'And what does that Slappy Hapgood, his torpedo, have to say about it?' 

Goldfinger said gravely, 'Alas, Mr Hapgood also fell down the stairs and has succumbed to his injuries.' 

Mr Solo looked at Goldfinger with new respect. He said softly, 'Mister, you better get those stairs fixed before me and my friend Giulio come to use them.' 

Well Goldfinger lets Mr Solo leave, kills him, and then he kills everyone in the meeting anyway (so it's kind of pointless letting him leave); Zorin only silences the guy who leaves - it makes more sense to do that.

Ha! I'd forgotten about that, it's been a long time since I read them. That's actually a joke worthy of the films!

Sure ! It's quite logical.

But I didn't get why you said: "any sense of logic goes out the zeppelin window".

I was tempted to quote more. Its a good example of Fleming trying to write american gangster dialog, theres several funny lines in Fleming's version of the meeting scene.

edited February 2022

by the way when I was a kid, I vaguely remember seeing Goldfinger and Diamonds are Forever on teevee a year or two before my mum took me to the cinema to see The Spy Who Loved Me

I was too busy reading my comics to pay attention, and remember watching a few minutes of the golf scene and finding it boring. But this meeting scene, with the pool table and the gassing, I definitely put down my comics and paid attention to. So even if it makes no sense, its one of the action packed visual highlights of the film.

(the cremation scene is the one bit I remember from that first viewing of Diamonds...)

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff

Ego. Bond tells Goldfinger that he enjoyed his speech, and Goldfinger replies, "So did I." It was all his opportunity to have people revel in his great scheme.

Vox clamantis in deserto

ha! same reason they all explain their plans to Bond before setting the easily escapable death trap!

Oh it was just a joke about their bizarre dialogue in the "what a view" scene 😊

Well, I think it's a good one. The way it's written and filmed makes it clear. It's litterally "A view to a kill". It's a good means to justify the title of the movie, like "Whoever she was, it must have scared the living daylights out of her" 😉

A bit of an aside... but in the golf scene in Goldfinger, how come Goldfinger never asked Bond where he got the golds bar from, or ask Bond who Bond was?

If a stranger came up to me and offered me gold I would want to know more.

Well I guess as it’s Nazi gold it means Bond is definitely a criminal, and it’s kind of implicit that one criminal doesn’t ask another where he’s getting the loot: just that a deal is ready to be done.

I see.