Her Majesty's DBS: Olive Paint!

A banner day for the project!

Earlier this week, I flew from SF to Antigo, Wisconsin to visit Her Majesty's DBS and Colten Davidson of Linear Customs. There, I performed the seam sealer application, and we did final sprayout panels, and I chose the paint...

...And Survey Says: This one! A couple of years of searching documentation,1969 ICI codes, discussions with the PPG Colour Library both in the US and UK, and samples from Aston shops and owners. I even purchased a test panel from AM Heritage, and to be quite honest, what they are claiming is the correct Olive colour is far too green, and does not look as original as this one. They are on a Dupont system, and the Dupont formula was not originally used- PPG was. Gleaned that info directly from a nice lady who has been with them for over 40 years. We only received the formula for the colour code 1 day before my trip out there.

Now, a note for fellow OCD types: Yes, I flew 5 hours away to duplicate the seam sealer exactly to the original application pattern and texture. As I was removing the old cracked, caked on sealer, I took photos, drew sketches, and made metal notes of the patter and textures. I've been in the Body Shop Supply business ,and have been around seam sealer for 25 years, and my research shows that there is a modern sealer that matched the original type exactly. But wait, you say, the sealer will be covered in paint....my answer: I know it's there. The somewhat sloppy and haphazard pattern is correct, and depending on who drank what the night before, or at lunchtime, there is no symmetry.

Bagged and Tagged! Ready to paint. There will be videos posted soon, so stay tuned...

The lower lip of the Sharknose shall be satin black...

And there it is! After 6 long years of teardown, fabrication, welding, metalwork, transport, blocking, priming and more blocking, prep, and wipedown, we have paint.

There is now the waiting period of 2-3 weeks for the colour to gas out before colour sand and polish.

I should have her back with me the first week in May, where I can begin reassembly. From this point out, I expect 8 months of work...

Hope you all enjoy these photos. I watched OHMSS with my painter to get him in the muse. As I was on the plane going home, he texted me these photos. He got so motivated that he painted her 2 days early!

I'm chuffed with the results, and cannot wait to get my arthritic hands on her once again.

Cheers, Tom

Comments

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent

Oh wow Tom! Speechless. It looks absolutely stunning!

I've been eagerly awaiting your latest update and hoped that as it had been a while, you would have some big updates. You have not disappointed!

The colour looks just perfect. I agree with you on the AM heritage olive colour looking too green. As ever your attention to detail is second to none and is commendable. You're creating a legend of automotive and Bond history and the amount of time and effort is not lost on those within each community.

Good luck for the next 8 months. Take your time! (I once had a friend you resprayed his racing bike but was so keen to come out with us on a ride the next day, he put it all back together before the paint had gone off. Needless to say, it did not end well😆) and savour the next stages. You're getting to the good sexy stuff now🤗

Already looking forward to the next update and wild horses won't keep me away from its UK debut😎🍸️

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent

This is great to see, I love the updates when you post them and that colour looks spot on.

The ultimate replicar!

'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,230MI6 Agent

Fantastic! Always interesting to hear about your labor of love Tom.