Dame Shirley sings DAF 2022

BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 35,981Chief of Staff
edited April 2022 in James Bond Music

Diamonds are Forever ( Live 2022 BAFTA's HD) - YouTube

I'm not ashamed to admit I got goosebumps listening to this. I was prepared to hear an ageing singer dodging the high notes, talking her way through the song.... and boy, was I wrong! Listen to this and then take in the fact that she's eighty-five years old. Yup, that's right- 85!!!

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 35,981Chief of Staff

PS Eat your heart out, Billie....

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,378Chief of Staff

I had the same initial thoughts as yourself and was almost cringing when she stepped up to the microphone 🎙🫣

Should have realised that Dame Shirley still had the pipes 🤭👏🏻

YNWA 97
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,664MI6 Agent
    edited April 2022

I do agree, but I can't help but be a bit of a pedant and point out the thread title is a little wrong though 😊

Thanks emtiem, duly changed

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent

Stunning performance, a real treat.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,104MI6 Agent

Great performance from an absolute legend.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

I watched this again tonight with my guitar in hand. Now, forgive me talking muso speak, but the original recording was in Bm (B minor). It's totally normal for a singer to come down in keys as they age- eg, just have a listen to recent Phil Collins or Elton John. They are younger than the Dame and have come down more keys than there are in Belmarsh Prison.

That is most definitely not a criticism. We are human beings- no-one would expect Mo Farah to run as fast in his seventies or eighties as he did in his twenties. Singers change keys to suit their voice at a given time.

Want to know how many keys Dame Shirley has come down since she recorded "Diamonds Are Forever"? One. That's right, 1. She was in Am (A minor). I'm even more impressed than I was when I heard this.

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent

As somone who knows nothing about it, I wonder if this is something over which an ageing singer has any control, or whether vocal training and practice can make some difference. Is Dame Shirley just fortunate in being able to carry this off, or would she have had to work hard at it, over time, to manage singing this in A minor at her age²?

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.

Luck certainly plays a part, but looking after your voice (eg not smoking) and regular vocal exercises are very important. Also, knowing what to do and not to do while actually singing eg not straining her voice by reaching for certain notes.

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,881Chief of Staff

She can still belt one out. Bravo, Dame Shirley!

Vox clamantis in deserto