Looking for a Model Zorin Skyship 500

rennervisionrennervision Posts: 106MI6 Agent

I was recently searching for a model Zorin blimp from ATAK, hoping perhaps Corgi currently made something. While looking, I came across a number of sellers on eBay that all sell exactly what I'm looking for (although I assume unlicensed).

What struck me as odd is all these sellers state they need a month to build the model, and they're all in the Philippines. Here are the links...

That last seller has two versions for sale. One is 11 inches long and the other is 14 inches (in a separate listing).

I can't seem to find any reviews of these anywhere online. (Even the seller feedback ratings have no reviews from buyers that bought the skyship.) I'm not sure how it just so happens all these sellers live in the same place, but I don't think they are multiple accounts under the same seller. The photos are all different, and one (which I attached below) looks to have its paint slightly smudged and appears hand-painted. So these may have varying degrees of quality.

Just wondering if there's any chance anyone knows more about these? If any brave soul already bought one and is happy with the condition, I might follow suit. But I'm definitely curious as to what is the connection with the Philippines ?

Comments

• minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent

They’re cheaply made, badly researched pieces of garbage. But cheap, so there’s still a limited appeal. I’ve seen these people make all sorts of bond vehicle models and the accuracy of some were embarrassingly hilarious.

MG

'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent

Some of those carved wood models are okay ... most aren't.

As you sus'd out, while there seem to be multiple makers, it's all really coming from just one or two companies.

Not sure if they're still in business but if so, I recommend Griffin AeroSpace; while their models are also coming from the Philippines, their offices are in the US and so way easier to communicate with.

Aside from those desk models, though, no one ever made a replica Zorin ship.

Years back Revell made a blimp kit which was very similar which I planned to finish in the Zorin livery but never happened.

I've commissioned a few wood models over the years including the Disco Volante, Scaramanga's aerocar, a 747/shuttle combo, the Q Boat, and a SkyFleet plane.

I'm happy with them but all required an inordinate amount of hand-holding to achieve something even remotely accurate.

This was the initial aerocar:

• rennervisionrennervision Posts: 106MI6 Agent

That base reminds me of this Acrostar I saw that's made in... yep... the Philippines.

• PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent

A base which has been added in PhotoShop to an image of a real Bede.