Bond26 in 2025 and 007 to be "reinvented" says Babs Broccoli

Comments

• AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent

Watched Brad Pitt’s Bullet Train today and I gotta say Aaron Taylor-Johnson made a good impression….I could picture him

The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent

I have a decent memory for faces and I never recognize Taylor-Johnson from one movie to the next. I remember watching TENET, and this tough special forces character popped up and I thought, "That actor is compelling." Only after I'd finished the film, did I realize Ives was Kickass. For most potential lead actors I would find that chameleon quality a negative, but I sense Aaron Taylor-Johnson is capable of a lot more than he's yet had a chance to do as an actor.

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent

I like Taylor-Johnson also. He's one of those actors who really "morphs" into a role.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent

I think Aaron Taylor-Johnson would be a decent choice and popular choice for younger movie goers.

He gives off a younger Tom Hardy vibe which I think would appeal to BB.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

I think he so resembles Toby Stephens :D

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,793MI6 Agent

He's a good candidate.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent

If you guys thought Craig acted like he was better than/above the role, ATJ might give you an anyeurism.

• SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,543MI6 Agent

It won't be ATJ, he's too well known. I think a lesson to be learnt from DC, and Sean, is go with a relative unknown. As successful as Moore and Brosnan films were, I think SC and DC made bigger bucks in part because people could see them as Bond rather than as Remington Steele or The Saint. I don't think we'll immediately recognise the name of the next Bond actor, but like SC and DC, he'll have experience in TV and film. As I've said here before, I think they will go younger as they almost did with Dalton in 1971 and almost did with Henry Cavil in 2006. Third time lucky for a 25 year old Bond?

ATJ is definitely not too well known. Ask the average movie goer about him and 9/10 will no know who this guy is…

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,705MI6 Agent

He is a very poor lead though. I was watching the Godzilla movie a couple of weeks ago and when his character becomes the lead (because another, actually charismatic actor’s character dies) the film simply doesn’t have a star anymore, just a vacuum.

He’s a good supporting actor but he’s not a star.

ATJ is also too old if they go younger for the reboot.

It could be someone like Harry Kirton from Peaky Blinders or Danny Griffin from The Gentlemen movie.

edited August 2022

IGN.com has reported that UK entertainment journalist Ross King told a UK TV programme, Lorraine, that EON is looking for someone younger in their 30s and at least 5 ft 10in tall.

At least this kind of reporting should hopefully end the Idris Elba, Tom Hardy BS.

If we're getting Bond26 in 2025 or 2026, then actors now in their late 20s could be candidates.

With this age range, actors like Leo Suter in Netflix's Valhalla or Callum Kerr from Hollyoaks could be in the running.

EON sponsors the Ones to Watch awards run by the BFI Film Academy (intofilm.org) and Daniel Craig has put in an appearance at their events, so any young actors short listed or winning that competition might be potential candidates.

Suter and Kerr are two new (to me) Bond candidates. Interesting.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,305Chief of Staff

Well, that's good news. At least they're looking.

I feel like GMB isn't perhaps the most solid source! But I'm sure they're looking in some fashion, even if I do suspect they'll probably need a script first.

I think we could see screen writer announcements next year, may be by June, With a 2025 release they would start pre-production in late 2024. I think you'd need to start writing the script, to be signed off by EON and Universal, sometime next year.

Would EON pick the director based on early scripts drafts?

I feel like sometimes they pick the director first; it's a bit chicken and egg. But whereas they may have an idea of a lead actor, I think they've usually got a director to help them conform the casting process.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent

They have to have a script first. A lot of actors wouldn’t sign on without one, even for a role as good as Bond.

There is also the question of the tone of the script. If the script is remicent of MR it would probably require a different director than a LTK-style script.

edited August 2022

Here's the original story, in case you don't want to give that rag any clicks 😁

This is true, but if the top-down marching orders sort of paint a picture in terms of tone and energy, they could be eyeballing/shortlisting directors (and even a new lead) based on a treatment. No actor or director worth a damn would sign on without seeing a script, but the conversations could be well underway.

That said, script in hand, they met with directors for NTTD who would never in a million years be up for the same gig anywhere else.

I think directors sign on before the script quite often, don't they? And then help to guide it. Mendes came on and pretty much chucked out the Once Upon A Spy story, for example.

When will this Idris Elba pipe dream end? I think he could've been a very good Bond if he was cast for CR instead of Craig, but now he's far too old.

edited August 2022

It's just something for lazy journos to write to fill their pages. And the Mail know their bigoted audience and provoke them to react because they like being provoked; just witness all the comments underneath saying they'd never watch a 'woke 007' i.e. a black 007 (actually just look at the comments under any Mail article and you'll see the morons complaining about 'woke', as if it means anything).

Well he still SAW a script, he just rejected it 😛

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent

I have said this before, I'll say it again.

Whoever is cast as Bond next isnsomeone none of us know now. The costs of budget, advertising etc either means you commit to a bankable star (as Bourne and the MI films do,) or you reinvent the wheel the way the House Of Eon do. Everyone expecta so much mpre from Bond, so an expensive lead is not financially viable.

I think we will all be surprised when the casting is announced.

My question - will the current office staff remain? Naomi Harris, Ben Wishaw, Rory Kinnear and Ralph Phines? All of them could easily continue as those characters? Or, as with CR-06, a new start across the board?

Time will tell!

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,305Chief of Staff