Could anyone explain please……

Was there an in joke at the start of A View To A Kill with the Beach Boys’ California Girls Song playing?

Comments

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent

Not the Beach Boys singing. That would have cost money. It was just a joke likening snowboarding to surfing. It was a cheap laugh. It did get laughs when I saw it in 1985, but it destroyed any tension in the pre title sequence.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

When you say 'in-joke', how do you mean?

• superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent

Snowboarding was such a novelty in 1985 vs. skiing, which I’m sure was why the filmmakers decided to use it in a Bond movie and personally, it struck that appeal and briefly playing a surf anthem like California Girls was fitting esp. in a Roger Moore Bond movie (like the Lawrence of Arabia theme in TSWLM and the Magnificent Seven theme in MR). I remember during that period sitting on a ski lift and whenever the occasional snowboarder went by below, girls whom we called “snow bunnies” also riding the lift would mockingly sound off the Hawaii-Five-0 theme, not realizing that in the near future snowboarding would become the winter activity of choice among the youth.

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....