Van Bierk’s fate in Die Another Day

Never recently thought about it until it was mentioned a discussion recently…

What do you think happened to diamond trader van Bierk in the PTS of Die Another Day after Bond takes him and his helicopter crew away?

Somebody suggested they were executed by Bond and his two surfer-friends but I don‘t think that‘s sth (Brosnan‘s) Bond would have done…?!

The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)

Comments

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    edited August 2022

I guess we're not even meant to think about it. I was too busy spotting the parallel with Moore's Bond's assumption of lookalike Colonel Toro's identity in the PTS of OP to worry - it's the shades! In a strictly realist world of espionage an execution might have made sense, since Bond is operating behind enemy lines, but I suppose (because this would have been more in keeping with Brosnan's Bond's character at this stage, as you say) it's more likely that Van Bierk and his crew would have been knocked out, or safely tied up somewhere, long enough for Bond to complete (he hopes!) his mission. I can't remember how Raymond Benson handles it in the novelisation, but we should probably defer to him...

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    edited August 2022

I never thought about it. I figured they'll eventually be found by North Korean military and executed.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent

That, or they were tied up in the helicopter with the best intentions by Bond. Little did they know ....

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,360Chief of Staff

Benson says:

"They tied and gagged the pilot and passenger and marched them over behind the radar dish. Another few loops of the ropes secured the two prisoners safely out of sight ensuring that they wouldn't be discovered for several hours. Too late."

Hazardous occupation in Bond's world, being a diamond smuggler...

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,360Chief of Staff

Oh, they are mere mortals who are not worth going to your grave for.

edited August 2022

"Curious... how everyone who touches those diamonds seems to..."

"...get tied up, gagged and marched over behind the radar dish, Mr Wint!"

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,722MI6 Agent

Hopefully they were discovered. If not Bond and his buddies caused them to slowly starve to death…

• IstvanTheHun007IstvanTheHun007 Posts: 75MI6 Agent

they probably would have froze to death first