Q The Music - Final Show

Hi All,

I just wondered how many AJBers were going to Q The Music's final show on 23rd October?

https://lwtheatres.co.uk/whats-on/the-james-bond-concert-spectacular-by-q-the-music/

I'm really looking forward to this, should be a cracking send off.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Comments

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent

Thanks for the heads up. I just bought one of the few remaining tickets.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent

Nice one.

Only four tickets left now! Surprisingly four decent ones, all sat together.

• IstvanTheHun007IstvanTheHun007 Posts: 75MI6 Agent

I just recently watched the Piz Gloria anniversary show and was totally blown away by Q The Music. I've probably watched that video on youtube a couple hundred times since discovering it.

• lilusakolilusako Southern California Posts: 311MI6 Agent

Flying in from the US just for this concert! Hope to meet other AJB folks there. I should find my pin to wear.

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    edited October 2022

A superb evening's entertainment!

This being the last 'Q The Music' show, a generous amount of on-stage time was understandably given over to dedications and thank yous. Warren Ringham made a heartfelt, convincing speech, explaining his personal and practical reasons for wrapping up 'Q The Music' despite all the love.

There wasn't time, on this occasion, to run through every Bond song, but all the big hits were performed, the finale being Kerry Schultz's powerful rendition of 'License To Kill'. (LTK's 'Dirty Love' was a cheeky addition to the line-up, earlier in the evening.)

Matt Walker impressively held the long note at the end of 'Thunderball'; he also did an amazing job of emulating Sam Smith's vocal style for 'The Writing's On The Wall'. (Previously, Q The Music had presented SP's theme song as a female vocal, one for Kerry).

For me, the highlights of these concerts are the suites of soundtrack cues. John Barry was well represented, of course. A collection of themes from TB was followed by an OHMSS suite, including 'Journey To Blofeld's Hideaway'- a piece which Ringham had apparently left out of his celebrated OHMSS50 anniversary set at Piz Gloria, when he hadn't had his strings musicians with him for the trip.

Tonight's main curveball was a glorious suite of FYEO action cues, building on the disco vibe of TSWLM's 'Bond 77' and accompanied by the jaunty fun of DAD's 'Welcome To Cuba' (both also covered this evening). I got a real buzz from performances of Bill Conti's 'Gonzales Takes A Drive' [sic], 'A Drive In The Country' and 'Runaway', the period synth keyboard accompanying the big band sound brilliantly.

This exciting momentum was maintained in a cover of TND's 'Backseat Driver', David Arnold's exuberant collaboration with Propellerheads. Staying with that period and partnership, we were also treated to a performance of the full ten minutes or so of the 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' mash-up from Arnold's 'Shaken And Stirred' album: I never saw that one coming!

Caroline Bliss, Madeline Smith and Caroline Munro shared compere duties with Q The Music's original compere, a comedic entertainer who raised a few laughs on this quite emotional occasion.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent

I couldn't agree more. Perfect review (you got that up quick!😊)

It was a wonderful evening. Great to see so many fans of Bond and live music all together in such an amazing venue.

So many highlights, but agree that Matt's Writing' s on the Wall, was brilliant. The FYEO suite was so much fun as was of course OHMSS suite.

Felt privileged to be there for the last show. Such talented performers.

Thank you Warren and gang. 10/10🍸