Does blond hair influence the films' stylings?

Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent

This is a daft topic but it's three or four years til the next Bond films so here goes.

Was watching Jeremy Remmer in The Hurt Locker tonight - he looked like a young Craig back then, it's a great movie set in Iraq but while he's a star in this, I don't rate him so much in his Bourne movie or the MiI films, perhaps I'm being unfair. His colouring suits Hurt Locker more, it's as if he looks like a star in that.

Craig has that blondish hair and his films have a uniform look to me, kind of yellow or khaki colours, Bond Twitter goes nuts over the Spectre yellow filter but it's a lot like that, the films are visually a bit monotonous and have Craig in the desert a lot.

Was thinking about how I'd like the next film to be - dark, dark blue colours and gleaming surfaces, kind of streamlined and it hit me that Craig just wouldn't show up in that set up. I think the films were colour coordinated to match his colouring.

It occurs to me that Moore was a bit blondish too and his films seemed set in sunnier climes to match this, and he had his desert scene in The Spy Who Loved Me. For all that, both the Connery and Moore films had a far more varied colour palette than Craig's.

Now, I'm talking rubbish because Connery's No has the last part filmed in Crab Key and the second half of TB was all sand and sunshine and DAF has its desert scenes. But not entirely rubbish, because even those scenes seem to me to have deeper, richer colours - blues, pinks etc It's more colour situated and Connery's colouring isn't overshadowed by it. Then again put Connery in hot climes and he starts to look a bit sweaty sometimes, I mean picture him in the desert scene in Spy, it just wouldn't look so good to have him in Egypt.

It seems to me that Craig's colouring almost certainly determined the locations and look of his five-film tenure. I do think it limited things a bit.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent

SF was arguably one of the most colourful Bond movies in decades, but mostly in terms of sets and not locations.

• OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 584MI6 Agent

An interesting thought but I think its influenced a bit by recency bias. You may be on to something regarding the desert, but then again some of the best scenes of the Craig era take place on sunny, colorful islands (Madagascar, Bahamas, Haiti, Cuba) or picturesque towns near a body of water (Como, Talamone, Venice, etc). In the era of the troubled, depressed Bond we got more dark places of course, and they started messing with the colors / settings so much that even two of the most interesting citys in the world (Rome, Istanbul) look bland and lifeless.

"I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."