Her Majesty's DBS Restoration Update: Beginning Assembly+ Discovery!

Gebruder GumboldGebruder Gumbold San FranciscoPosts: 541MI6 Agent

Dear friends,

Now begins the go-backwards-to-go-forwards phase of the restoration. First up is paint correction, as a couple of small sink holes appeared, in a non conspicuous area, however, I know that they are there, so it's back to the paint shop...

Next step, after a week for everything to harden, is to remask for final polish....

Imperative to keep polishing dust out of the various compartments, as I have already installed some wiring and hydraulics in the engine compartment. Most body shops skip the masking step, and polish dust does not come out of carpet, and can stain rubber hoses. The polishers always leave it to the detail chaps to clean. Not so with my project! I masked, bagged, and masked again. My painter Alex, in the background is a fastidious craftsman, who does a superb job.

She is then wheeled back over to my assembly area. Note all of the Dynamat sound deadening, and some components in the engine compartment that I didn't want to be stained or covered with body shop dust.Rags over the bonnet locks protect the greased lock mechanisms from dust.

Heating system ducts go in very early. Those original type strap clamps are just heaven to work with. Guaranteed finger cutters, or your money back! Note the red fender covers everywhere. You can't have enough of these, and wash them frequently. Moving blankets go on top of these- never directly on paint.

The original ducts are fabric over wire, which has no insulation whatsoever, and the heat in the engine compartment warms the incoming air to the ventilation system. No A/C, black interior, and California location add up to roasting, so I found some of this silicone aircraft insulated ducting which fit inside, and ought to prevent heating of the incoming air. Looks like a Dr. No scene...

I want to share with you some restoration challenges. On the right is a simple drain hose that is visible in the engine compartment. It has yellowed over the years, and has hardened somewhat, but is still serviceable. On the left is the closest modern equivalent. clear- as the hose on the right was originally, but the reinforcing weave is incorrect. Dilemma: do you put back a yellowed hose, or a new clear one that has the wrong weave? Since I am restoring a car to original specification, I shall clean the old hose as best I can, and use that. Will show the concours judges this photo as evidence of my approach. Dimensions are identical, buy you can spot that weave from at least 20" away!

One of the 2 Smiths heater blowers ready to install. I had the motors balanced and the "Squirrel cage" impellers balanced as well- now the fans spin up to speed, and deliver quite a gale. Before the rebuild and balancing, they yielded a gentle puff...Note the exposed cork gasket. AM had long discontinued them, and I found some NOS ones through a Rolls supplier. Had to repunch the screw holes, but it went in smoothly.

And now the Main Event: Was over at a fellow Aston chum's home- he has a 2008 QOS DBSV12, and quite a nicely stocked Bond bar. On his coffee table is this enormous book on Aston Martin, limited edition, leather bound, etc. Completely out of my price range. I carefully peruse it, minimising finger prints and creases, when I arrive at this photo taken at the Earl's Court Motor Show in 1970. Low and behold, my chassis # on the Heritage Certificate (like a Birth Cert) shows that my DBS was this car! There she is, resplendent in her original Metalastic Silver with Maroon Draylon interior. And yes, I did discover some filler on the bonnet when I took her to bare metal. One of those cheeks may have popped a small dent in her. Such a pity, such lovely cheeks too....

Cheers,

Tom

Comments

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,134MI6 Agent

Fantastically detailed update as ever Tom. Thanks for posting. I just adore your attention to detail and I'm sure the Concours judges will too!

What an incredible find to see YOUR car in that book. What are the chances...?!! Wouldn't it be great to track down those ladies (hopefully still alive and well) and have them there for its (second) London debut (leaning rather than perched this time though😊)

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Gebruder GumboldGebruder Gumbold San FranciscoPosts: 541MI6 Agent

Dear Red Kind,

What a splendid idea! A recreation of that scene with the original girls would be a great project. If they were, say 26 in 1970, that makes them about 78 now. May be a tough find, perhaps the agency that AML used may know? Definitely will need our members' help with this one.

Some trials and tribulations: unpacked the mummified front bumper to mount it, and noticed some significant flaws in the chrome. 3 hour drive tot he platers tomorrow, taking away shop time, to go and drop off to redo. Chrome plating in Ca is getting worse, and enviro hoax regulations are making it difficult to use top quality materials, and the labour force is relatively unskilled from 3rd world countries. Same in the body shop business, and most of the trades. I may have to ship to our Midwest to find a good chrome shop. Oh, and after paying $2500 for the bumper job.

This is what we go through to be able to roll up onto the green...

Thank you, as always, for your kind words of encouragement.

Cheers, Tom