GoldenEye BMW Z3

New to group. Thought you might like a looksee at my ongoing project. Many existing examples on show lack the gizmos, so I corrected injustice to a great little car. Just completed a 3k miles trip across Europe that included a few GoldenEye film locations. Awesome.

Comments

• OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 584MI6 Agent

Amazing that you actually added the gadgets! In my view the Z3 is a lovely little car, just never understood why they went for baby (or "Atlanta") blue...

"I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent

Great photos!

Welcome to the forum, 00Stirl. 👍

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,710MI6 Agent

That's wonderful, I love it. So what do you do, swap out the headlamp for a display one?

It was the launch colour as I remember. I think it looks good in it.

• 00Stirl00Stirl Posts: 52MI6 Agent

Cheers all.

You might like a previous project I did a couple of years back.....sold to pay for the Z which just seems a better plaything to have although the R11's are very rare now. My wife made the Mayday chute.

I think launch colour was even worse than Atlanta blue, Turkish green. But as we know, colour trends are exactly that. Won't be long before manufacturing just produces base colour and then just to be wrapped as customer wishes.

Apparently, several Z3's were left in vicinity of Goldeneye premiere as subliminal adverts!

Gadgets have been fun to fit but the actual science behind them is probably reason they failed to appear in film. Missiles too long without hitting front wheel (probably why Z8 has them exit sideways). Still, I have actuator to introduce movement. Planning same for the gun next to lower front fog.

Yes, 5 min lamp swap over because don't forget Q's quote "not to break the traffic laws" 😁

I have lots of Goldeneye memorabilia but always on look out for more so get in touch. I have duplicates of some.

edited October 2022

That's fun, so the missile moves forward by itself? Moving the gun out would be loads of fun: be sure to show us a video if you do do that! The gun is a great idea by the way, it looks brilliant.

Will you be having a go at the radar screen? 😊

Gadgets have been fun to fit but the actual science behind them is probably reason they failed to appear in film.

I think it's more that they probably didn't get given any cars to be used as SFX cars by BMW because the Z3 was so new (was the car in the film pre-production?) so never had a chance to fit anything!

Plus the script didn't have a role for a gadget car so there was no opportunity to show the missiles - it was pure product placement 😁

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,134MI6 Agent

Great stuff @00Stirl I always get a buzz from seeing any Bond film car on the road, some are becoming even rarer than the more expensive iconic models!

"Any of the opposition around..?"

They managed to fit the parachute brake in the film but it has to be the most useless gadget ever.

The console by handbrake has switch for moving stinger. Already have the radar but lacking gps display map as per film. I have a pretty good screen shot of image seen in film but not sure glued paper copy onto an old Amazon Kindle will quite cut the mustard.

I'm rubbish at I.T. but give me a spanner and some scrap 🤔. Not sure how to upload vids.... can't even copy previous post text quotes to answer!

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent

Fantastic work!

Norwegian jet fighters have parachute breaks, but I agree it must be useless on a BMW.

They managed to fit the parachute brake in the film but it has to be the most useless gadget ever.

It is at least a unique gadget; maybe it means Q fitted the car with a drag-style super tuned engine!

Already have the radar but lacking gps display map as per film. I have a pretty good screen shot of image seen in film but not sure glued paper copy onto an old Amazon Kindle will quite cut the mustard.

Very cool! Yes I'm not sure of the best way to do that so you can leave it on display; maybe printed onto acetate and backlit somehow? I'm sure some propbuilders here will be able to suggest how they've done similar things.

Great pic- which shows do you go to? What area of the country are you in?

SW England, Devon. Only done two small local classic car shows but to be honest not intending on doing anymore. However, would consider Bond related event. Would have liked to go to recent gathering in Paris but missed out.

• JimmyBobbyJimmyBobby Posts: 100MI6 Agent

Wow this is very cool, I have for ages longed for a Bond car or a Bond inspired car and this has certainly inspired me. What version Z3 is movie accurate (as there are a few engine sizes) and would love to learn how to fit the gadgets if I get one!

• The Bond VivantThe Bond Vivant SeendPosts: 1,327MI6 Agent

Absolutely love it! I always thought that it was a shame not to see the gadgets in action. I'm in Wiltshire, so maybe, when you've done all your work, I'll pop down and check it out!

Thank you for kind comments. Government could never afford anything other than 1.9 LOL. Not to worry though, it's a great reliable engine. I've never felt underpowered. You will hear many BMW aficionados go on and on about the 6 cylinder models but I'm not convinced. They burn oil and have some mechanical issues but worst of all there's not a lot of room left under the hood. The biggest engines produce so much torque they can break the welds holding on rear axle!

As far as movie accurate. The early production models obviously replicate the film era car. The colour and interior stayed pretty much same but steering wheel changed and so did body to a wider wheel arch's/rear light cluster/boot lid design. Bumper mounted screen washers are rare and screen surround easily black wrapped.

There are lots about but getting the right one is key. A cheap one will only guarantee you discovering hidden probs later.

Mine is for sale on Gumtree but not fussed if doesn't go as (yes we've all heard it before) it will only go up in value. Having done the Euro tour we had our fun. Oh, yes, I have another one in garage! Restoration job but might do Anniversary trip in ,10 years time with it.

If anyone wants some more buying advice I'm more than happy to help.

Re gadgets...they evolve on basis that I change my mind or come up with better idea/improvements. The switches have improved but mindful of time/money spent when I'm supposed to be renovating house!

If anyone else gets one, I have in my collection lots of memorabilia but best of all is billboard size poster, I believe London Underground size! Still working on how to show it as will make great backdrop.

• raph83frraph83fr Posts: 4MI6 Agent

Hi friend, here's a little gift from France

You should keep your Z3

I'm a French collector of cinema cars. I let you discover my website and my YouTube channel

https://www.herocarsconcept.com/

https://youtube.com/@herocarsconcept

Don't hesitate to send me a message on (Facebook: Herocarsconcept) I'll be happy to talk with you about your Z3

I am currently designing one too.

We also have a series 7 tomorrow never dies

😀 Bonjour 😎

Merci beaucoup pour le radar.

Not on Facebook…..can I email you via herocarsconcept website contact?

Yes, I'm glad

Here are some pictures of our Z3

Next to our series 7 tomorrow never dies

Superb stuff 👍

Can’t remember if I posted chute.

Signed as well! Nice work.

Thanks again Raph83fr.

All points radar now available 🤔. The Apple car play system will come out (expensive folly) when showing,

although you can save one image as screensaver.

• Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,883MI6 Agent

A thing of beauty, a joy forever. Awesome.

Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!