Psycho Analyzing Daniel Craig’s James Bond

That One Bond GuyThat One Bond Guy Sacramento,CaPosts: 29MI6 Agent

Hello AJB Fam! 

Im doing this fun project for university to Psycho anal DC’s Bond. I was wondering if the community had thoughts on this topic and would love to hear what you think!

Hello, I'm that one "Bond Guy".

You can find me on Instagram: @thatone_bondguy
Please also check out my YouTube channel

Comments

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,253MI6 Agent

To quote Daniel Craig in Skyfall "Good luck with that."

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent

well my first thought on this topic is you better learn the correct spelling of Psycho Anal before you deliver your thesis!

Seriously its an interesting topic. A lot of folks here dislike the traumatic backstory aspect of the last five movies, but really if you're going to analyse them at all that's the obvious angle. I'm sure if you search the forum you'll find lots has already been written.

Short answer would be: Craig's Bond is the by far most psychologically damaged of all the Bonds, and each adventure seems to give him new experiences to traumatize him further, plus all the backstory that keeps getting revealed

and he's the only (cinematic) Bond who sees a psychiatrist*, albeit in the romantic sense. and she's not just his girlfriend, but also someone who is just as traumatised as he is! Why is the only person he can get close to a "daughter of SPECTRE"?

if I were you, I would start with the conversation between Bond and Vesper on the train and work forward from there.

*was Dr Molony a psychiatrist in the books? I've forgotten his exact job title, but he did give psychiatric type advice in at least two books

• QuantumofSolangeQuantumofSolange UKPosts: 133MI6 Agent

If I were you, I'd type out analysis in full.

Here's Dr Tobias Funke to explain the pitfalls of the shorthand for analysis/analyst:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bmk-WrYJKc

Yes but my martini's still dry.
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    edited January 18

In SF an allusion to Bunuel invites a psychoanalytic reading of the sadomasochistic dynamics between key characters. When Bond and Silva take turns to shoot duelling pistols in the direction of Severine (with Bond aiming to miss) this nods to a scene in 'Belle De Jour' (1967) in which Catherine Deneuve's character, of the same name, fantasises about being shot in the head while tied to a tree, during a duel between her husband Serizy and antagonist Husson: they suddenly turn their pistols on her. I watched 'Belle De Jour' recently for the first time in many years and spotted this connection with SF. It did occur to me that it was slightly pretentious of Bond to be referencing Bunuel.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff

In the very next film Marcel Proust is referenced, even more highbrow.

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    edited January 20

Yes, and the Proustian references are more substantial.

In SF, for me, the killing of Severine just leaves a nasty taste, whereas in 'Belle De Jour' the shocking elements in Severine's fantasies - including the similar scene I've mentioned - at least make sense in terms of Bunuel's exploration of her psyche in the film as a whole.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.