The Living Daylights

DovyDovy Posts: 206MI6 Agent

The film is excellent and must have cost a fortune to produce. I have mixed feelings about Timothy Dalton as Bond, and wasn't enthusiastic about recycling the formula of the young female who has to always be accompanying Bond.

It seems that something was cut in the last 10 minutes of the film. First we see Bond and Kara in the Pakistan desert, and suddenly he's working with other agents somewhere with the two generals showing up. What happened in between? I also didn't exactly understand what was going on with Koskov. Was he a rogue Russian seeking to overthrow the Soviet Union who pretended to work for the Soviets when he was supposedly kidnapped back from the safe house?

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    edited October 2022

Koskov didn't seek to overthrow the Soviet Union. Instead he planned to make money with Whitaker. Koskov was tasked with the job to buy new rifles for the Soviet army fighting in Afghanistan. Instead of buying the rifles directly Koskov and Whitaker bought heroin in Afghanistan for the money. Then they planned to sell the drugs in the West and make a huge profit. Finally Koskov would use some of the money to buy rifles from Whitaker and keep the rest of the money for themselves.

• DovyDovy Posts: 206MI6 Agent

So Koskov was indirectly working for Pushkin who betrayed Koskov at the end? And the ones who kidnapped him from the safe house were Whitaker's people, not Pushkin's? And where did Bond and Kara end up at a house of Koskov with other operatives? In Pakistan? Something got cut out there.

• MI6_HeadquartersMI6_Headquarters Posts: 168MI6 Agent

I though find it to be a decent film, I do find the plot convoluted.....

To be honest, starting with FYEO where the plot of each film became convoluted and very hard to understand, it's just messed up around.

Not the fault of John Glen, more on the writing.

There were subplots that's very hard to understand, it's like in one Bond film there's two or three plots and each could be separated for other Bond films, and some of them left unexplained, as a result it became convoluted, muddled, and mixed.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,358Chief of Staff

And stand up, the man responsible for all that-