OHMSS-AVTAK Connection

I'm watching On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and one of my favourite elements of the movie is John Barry's fantastic score. I notice a 'secondary familiarity' to a lot of the music and suddenly realize that it's: A View To A Kill. Another favourite when it comes to Bond music. I don't know if anyone else has noticed the striking similarities in certain parts? I'm thinking the helicopter ride up to Piz Gloria = Zorin blimp flying over San Francisco is one good example.

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,323Chief of Staff

Another example is that the action theme from AVTAK (heard mainly during the PTS and the Golden Gate fight) has resemblances to the main theme from OHMSS. It's particularly noticeable in the medley played by Nic Raine.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent

Indeed. Two of my favourite scores. The incorporation of the title song throughout the score is always key for me in a great Bond soundtrack.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent

It’s what any good soundtrack does, and it was done long before Bond was around. In music it’s known as ‘development’. I think the Goldfinger score does it better than any other soundtrack in how every cue is developed from the main theme. The development is all rather basic, but ultimately it demonstrates what an amazing theme Goldfinger is. And John Barry developed the theme itself out of something Bela Bartok wrote in Bluebeard’s Castle.

Visit my blog, Bond Suits