The World is Not Enough

DovyDovy Posts: 206MI6 Agent
edited November 2022 in The James Bond Films

Why am I get increasingly frustrated at the fact that so many scenes in this film and even previous ones had to take place at night or in the dark? Sometimes you can hardly see what's going on.

It's too bad the writers had to fill up so much time with so many chases and flights. After more and more Bond films like that it gets increasingly boring. The writers repeating the same scenario formula in each film.

And why does it have to be increasingly campy? I get tired of the predictability of the psychopathic billionaires with a setup of a young female hanging onto Bond in each film. I guess it has to do with attracting a viewer base. Alas, sabotaging Renard (French for Fox) with young Christmas. But that scenario was better than that with Elektra.

Comments

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    edited November 2022

'Tomorrow Is Not Enough' is a great proposition for a Brosnan mash-up! Christmas could rattle Carver, Paris could slap Renard and Wai Lin and Elektra could have a cat fight!

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • MI6_HeadquartersMI6_Headquarters Posts: 168MI6 Agent

Tomorrow is not enough, oh my! You've created the perfect title for a Brosnan Era Bond film, better than the original title that we've got (Tomorrow Never Dies), much much better!

It could be used as a future Bond title!

I love that title!

I'm going to contact Barbara and Michael for this.

• DovyDovy Posts: 206MI6 Agent

I STAND CORRECTED. THE THREAD TITLE IS CORRECTED.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,949MI6 Agent

from an episode of the Simpsons (in which Lenny and Carl also critique the new CraigBond films: "I like that James Bond is ugly now!")

All four of these Brosnan films actually have good original ideas for plots that more or less got buried under the formulaic set-pieces and extended action sequences. I think World is Not Enough is the one where the original idea for a plot is most coherent, and Tomorrow Never Dies the one where it got most deeply buried (Paris is never mentioned again after her death scene and Bond goes straight into laughing like a kid as he works his BMW by remote control)

• MI6_HeadquartersMI6_Headquarters Posts: 168MI6 Agent
    edited November 2022

Paris is never mentioned again after her death scene and Bond goes straight into laughing like a kid as he works his BMW by remote control

Well, how many times does Bond tends to move on to the other after a bond girl dies?

He did that many times.....

In DAF, Tracy was never even mentioned and goes like, "okay, back to mission, just came from vacation", then in FYEO, the way Bond treated Blofeld "Oh, it's Blofeld, and he's playing with me, I'll play with him too, hahaha, alright, keep your hair on!".

Same for Countess Lisl's death (FYEO), he just kinda moved on and had a great drink with Columbo like nothing happened, and her name was also not that mentioned when he killed Locque, just Ferrara, so I suppose, that revenge was only for Ferrara.

Heck even in the Craig Era, there's some bits of this, granted he avenged Vesper in QoS, but the way he uttered the line when Severine got killed in Skyfall? "What a waste of good scotch"!

So, it's not that new to me, Bond never carried any emotional attachments, he just kinda moves on.

Unless, it's Felix Leiter or any of his male allies, or Vesper.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,949MI6 Agent
    edited November 2022

Diamonds are Forever pretends the previous film didnt happen, so thats its excuse. Several later films do show Bond is sensisitve about Tracy's death.

SkyFall is just plain bad writing. No previous version of Bond wouldve made that "waste of good Scotch" joke

and Lisl just wasnt that important to Bond, though Colombo shouldve been a bit more upset than he was.

thing is in Tomorrow Never Dies theres a lot of buildup in the mission briefing scenes, where M specifically assigns Bond to seduce an old flame knowing it will probably cost the woman her life, and in these scenes we do see Bond resenting the assignment. In Bond and Paris's scenes together we see his conflicted emotions and she knows she's being exploited. But the dialog is lousy and they dont seem to be good enough actors to make it believable. In later scenes with Carver, both Bond and the villain shoudve at least mentioned her, Bond for vengeance and Carver to taunt Bond (he did kill his own wife to punish Bond). It is very strange they both have completely forgotten there was once this other character in the first act.

Had the action setpieces been rolled back, and the Paris plot been given more space, this couldve been a genuinely original BondFilm plot.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent

In my opinion Bond seducing Paris didn't make her death probable. There was a risk it could result in her death, but it wasn't probable.