What did Bond actors think of one another?

DovyDovy Posts: 206MI6 Agent

This should be an interesting subject. I saw an interview with Daniel Craig who was asked which Bond film was his favorite that he didn't star in. He said it was Goldfinger. Did all the Bonds ever have a reunion or discuss each other before Sean Connery passed away?

Comments

• MI6_HeadquartersMI6_Headquarters Posts: 168MI6 Agent

They never had a reunion all together, but did they got each other for the Premiere in Die Another Day.

The majority of their interviews were just pointing out to themselves, but their opinion of their fellow Bonds, I'm not sure.

And when they do, it's very rare, there's an interview of Connery criticizing Dalton though for "underestimating the role", have you watched it?

But aside from that one, there's nothing.

• DovyDovy Posts: 206MI6 Agent

I'll look for more interviews on the subject. I think Roger Moore was asked about the other Bonds but I don't remember what he said. Anyway I liked him also as Simon Templar!

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,722MI6 Agent

I don’t think I’ve seen that Connery interview, I’d be interested in that, do you know where you saw it?

I remember him talking about Craig positively on the South Bank Show in 2008, I think.

• OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 584MI6 Agent
    edited November 2022

Pierce Brosnan was full of praise for the other bonds, especially Connery because he saw his films in the cinema as a kid. To me it sounded genuine what he said. Also nothing but respectful words for Craig, even though he must have been envious for the better and more serious scripts he got (in the beginning). He was rightfully critical of NTTTD but again did not blame this on Craig.

Connery was also bitter that the newer Bonds were in his view much better paid.

"I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."

That's great, thank you. I wasn't aware he said that, can't disagree with him.

I doubt you'll find him saying anything but any others he talks about were better than him! He was always far too self-deprecating.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent

Connery didn't hate Lazenby's performance and said he might have done well had he not made a pain of himself during filming. He did point out that he couldn't deal with the cornier lines in the script because, not being an actor, his line delivery wasn't good enough to take the edge of them. This is totally correct. You do need a man with Connery's comic genius - and this he did have - to make those lines sing. Some of them are clunkers - could anyone else to the whole 'Named after your father perhaps?' gag in DAF. Maybe Moore but even he fell flat with some lines in LALD, they're not technically funny. This quote came from The Man with the Golden Touch by Sinclair Mackay. Anyway, he expressed some solidarity with Lazenby who had failed out with the producers because of course Connery had too. Don't know they ever met.

Of Moore, Connery said that he was walking into the comedy room while Connery was walking out of it, in terms of his portrayal of Bond. Asked what he brought to the role that Connery hadn't got, Moore replied 'white teeth' which sounds a bit bitchy but also funny.

Moore didn't comment on Dalton, saying 'I must be honest with you, I have not seen his film' saying that he knew he'd be asked about it and wouldn't be able to lie if he didn't like it. This sounds like he didn't like it, given that he was happy enough to praise Brosnan and Craig. Also the 'I must be honest with you' sounds like out of the Bond lie handbook, as used in OHMSS!

Lazenby slagged off Brosnan in his usual diplomatic way, saying of GE 'If he walked into the room, you wouldn't notice.' Someone suggested the scene in TND where Bond walks into the soundproof room and has a massive fight, turning the tables on his captors while the guard doesn't notice, is a nod to that. Brosnan was subsequently dismissive of Lazenby, when asked to comment on the Bonds said 'I didn't see his, so can't comment' - not a credible claim. He did say jokingly at one point 'Poor George!' when considering if he too would have just one go at the role, before adding 'I do think nobody knew what they were getting into with the role back then, there was a lack of understanding [by the producers]' or words to that effect.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • MI6_HeadquartersMI6_Headquarters Posts: 168MI6 Agent

Actually, Brosnan did challenged Craig in a singing showdown for the Bond role, and was confident that Craig had no chance at winning, as he said "He can't stand a chance".

Here's the link for it:

edited November 2022

Great post, thanks.

Of Moore, Connery said that he was walking into the comedy room while Connery was walking out of it, in terms of his portrayal of Bond.

Which, given how jokey DAF was, and that NSNA would pretty much stay on that course, feels not entirely accurate!

Asked what he brought to the role that Connery hadn't got, Moore replied 'white teeth' which sounds a bit bitchy but also funny.

I think it's more that he's probably being more self-deprecating there; calling himself nothing much more than a pretty face and not bringing anything to it, more than he's criticising Connery's teeth 😁

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent

I recall reading a quote many years ago from Roger Moore where Roger said his very young son asked him "Daddy are you James Bond or is Uncle Sean James Bond?" and Roger replied, "Son, Daddy plays James Bond in the movies, Uncle Sean is James Bond".