Omega 60th Anniversary Release

Comments

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,452MI6 Agent

A Bond silhouette wouldn't move $7,600 watches, people. There's money to be made!

If anything, Craig's participation is a reminder that James Bond is a fictional character who can die in a film but lives on as an icon and will be resurrected as long as audiences want to see him. Personally, I felt glad to see this as DC's curtain call.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,726MI6 Agent

He’s an Omega ambassador still by the looks of it, and it’s more appropriate to use him than George Clooney I guess.

• CajunCajun Posts: 483MI6 Agent
    edited November 2022

Double tap. Gotta love the new edit-challenged site format.

I edit, therefore I am.
  • B549WUUB549WUU Posts: 196MI6 Agent

Now on Goldsmiths

Her Majesty’s loyal terrier, defender of the so called faith.

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent

Craig is actually on the watch. It’s his image in the Gunbarrel on the back. So makes sense that he’s there. He’s still the current Bond actor until the next one is announced.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,332MI6 Agent

Excellent point and fascinating detail. Is the silhouette from a specific film?

edited November 2022

I watched this video yesterday which has a few good close-ups of the animation on the back and gives a good idea of how it works (you can skip to around 3mins if you want to just see that).

Yeah, we get the marketing angle. For me it's just about holding Craig and Eon accountable for their latest brainchild. Make your bed, sleep in it.

I edit, therefore I am.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,332MI6 Agent

The bed is made of money.

I edit, therefore I am.
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,342MI6 Agent

I definitely get what Cajun’s saying here. Personally, I’d sooner the silhouette than a hypocrite.

Craig was supposedly instrumental in “killing off” Bond because he didn’t want to go back; From Dave Bautista we hear how happy he was filming Glass Onion compared to being Bond and to cap it all we are treated to the banality of his Belvedere commercial, crappily dancing, in rent boy chic, the subtext being he’s now free of Bond… oh hang on, just got to do this Omega watch launch, then I’m done…honest.

Come on in Craig, your time is more than up…

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".

He still has a contract with Omega until next year I believe. So might not be his choice.

You’re probably right Asp9mm. Don’t mind me - I just have a love/hate thing with Craig - currently the latter after the Belvedere ad.

• ViewsFromMarkViewsFromMark Posts: 2MI6 Agent

Hello all, I managed to get down to the London boutique the morning after the launch event to check out the new watch in person. Luckily the boutique were very accommodating as usual and happy for some discreet filming, so I got a couple of videos shot which I've now posted.

Wasn't sure if people would be interested in seeing only the caseback detail and the animation, but it seems there is interest so I posted the second video focusing solely on that.

I don’t think people will be rushing out to buy Belvedere after that hot mess 🤣

• B549WUUB549WUU Posts: 196MI6 Agent

Any idea when we will be able to order/receive the 60th Anniversary blue watch?

Her Majesty’s loyal terrier, defender of the so called faith.

• ViewsFromMarkViewsFromMark Posts: 2MI6 Agent

No definitive date yet but Omega are saying they will be arriving and available at some point in Q1 of 2023.

Should see them hit our shores in February/ March. But expect another Snoopy type waiting time to actually get one. Because of the time to make the case back apparently.

• JDJD Posts: 27MI6 Agent

Would anyone be tech savvy enough to mock up how the watch would look w/o the 60 at the top of bezel and the usual triangle with a pip instead?

Kinda hoping they bring back this waves and remove larger ones from the regular model. Such a classier look.

• 405405 Posts: 119MI6 Agent

Has availability been discussed by Omega? Hoping it isn't a Snoopy fiasco and they will actually be available for those who want one.

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent

I know what you mean. On one hand because of CR he gets a huge amount of credit in my book. Because of Spectre and NTTD he’s in debit. I could be completely wrong but it seems to me that the film he had the least clout in i.e CR is by far the best film he made. The ones I guess he had the most clout in i.e. Spectre and NTTD are just not good enough.

Overall I think he was a good Bond. I just feel after CR they missed a great opportunity to make some really great follow up films.

Yes. Considerably!

For me it’s more about his general attitude, this Belvedere ad being the latest snide dig at Bond, films that have made him richer and more famous than in his wildest dreams.

And nobody is bigger than the franchise -as soon as he said his condition for returning was to kill off the character, Babs and Michael should have walked away.

Back on topic, I won’t be getting this watch, seems like I can put together a reasonable lookalike combining my Brosnan Seamaster and attaching a Milanese bracelet.

For me it’s more about his general attitude, this Belvedere ad being the latest snide dig at Bond, films that have made him richer and more famous than in his wildest dreams.

That seems a curious way to take that ad. I can't really see that at all. I think it's a fairly naff ad and just an unimaginative retread of the famous Weapon of Choice video, but I can't see it as a dig against anything.

• urhashurhash USPosts: 984MI6 Agent

The watch strikes me as a good tribute/homage, particularly to the Brosnan Seamaster, but the original still looks better. Everything about the proportions have been warped over time... bringing back the original subtle wave dial is a nice touch but almost only serves to highlight how much the rest has changed.

• TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent

I concur, where its certainly a break from DC's normal 'style' and it easy to surmise its some sort of 'shedding his skin' post Bond, look at the director - Taika Waititi is much more than a superhero movie director here in his home country of New Zealand, he is seen as someone who doesn't take himself seriously, mocks stereotypes, does things differently and just wants to have a laugh like most kiwi's - at @Gymkata says, its just a bit of fun....

• UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,120MI6 Agent

An interesting (and potentially useful) comparison shot of the 60th Anniversary vs the current Seamaster.

I think the main reason people don’t like it is because it’s embarrassing. Craig looks dreadful in this and he is taking it all too seriously. And he just can’t dance, it’s like watching your cool uncle or dad get up on the dance floor and try too hard and ends up dancing like Mr Bean. It’s cringeworthy bad for a lot of people.

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent

From that photo I definitely prefer the standard blue Seamaster.

Yes. Considerably!
    edited December 2022

It's the new one for me, but it'd be boring if we all liked the same things! 😊

He's beginning to grate a bit for me, he seems awfully full of himself now. I wasn't surprised when, after seeing his credit at the beginning of the ad, he'd shown his face by the end of it.

Seems odd to think he's taking it too seriously when the entire thing is a gag. By just being in it he's not taking it seriously- he's doing a funny dance and wearing funny clothes.

For me, the reason I don't like it is that it's not very original, we've seen this all before, and there's an underlying cynicism to it (which I know feels slightly odd accusing an advertisment of! They're not exactly just made for the art of it). A mate of mine directs adverts and says that a large proportion of the scripts for ads include 'person does a funny dance'.