Bond Films Violence and Emotion

DovyDovy Posts: 206MI6 Agent

Does anyone know if Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson could given any thought to toning down the video game level of violence in the next Bond incarnation? On the other hand I liked the fact that the Craig films enhanced emotion and love above mere sexual encounters.

Comments

• MI6_HeadquartersMI6_Headquarters Posts: 168MI6 Agent
    edited November 2022

On the other hand I liked the fact that the Craig films enhanced emotion and love above mere sexual encounters.

Actually, the classic era did had some love and emotions, On Her Majesty's Secret Service is given with Bond and Tracy, but there are more than that:

1. Bond and Countess Lisl (FYEO), the way they hold each other's hands while walking at the beach, the way they interacts with each other, the way Bond said goodbye to her.

2. Bond and Kara Milovy (TLD), they even had a love montage in the Prater Park in Vienna, it's obvious based on their interactions that they're falling in love for each other.

3. Bond and Pam Bouvier (LTK), The way Bond respects Pam, treats her as his equal, and becoming close to her and the way he chooses her in the end than Lupe.

4. Bond and Paris Carver (TND), it would not be deeply explored, but these characters shown that they have emotional connections with each other.

5. Bond and Elektra King (TWINE), Bond's affection for Elektra was really obvious to how he's eager to protect her, he's soft towards her.

toning down the video game level of violence in the next Bond incarnation? 

Actually, I'm also hoping for the same, it's been happening since the Brosnan Era, and just happened to occur at some situations in the Craig Era. If we take Bond seriously as a Spy, then that so called "video game level of violence" should not be an occurrence in those films.

Also, the same for explosions and bombastic action, that's supposed to be in action movies, hence why Bond was labeled into that particular genre (Action-Adventure) considering and despite that he's an MI6 agent (a Spy veteran of Cold War), the same jobs of George Smiley, Antonio Mendez (CIA), and etc, that ironically, if we take a look at them had none of the same things and clearly different from what's happening in the Bond films, and those were labeled as Mystery/Drama/Political/Thriller.

No offense to us Bond fans here, but we've been spending our lives as a Bond fans criticizing Austin Powers, Johnny English or Sterling Archer as a parody of Bond, when Bond could be a lot more worse, in that he's certainly a parody of the spy genre as a whole and no one could blame the maker of those films that parodied Bond, in that, it's kinda telling like "he's one of us", albeit in a different league, could the same things applied to Mission Impossible? Yes, but the difference was there's no specific place at which Ethan Hunt works, unlike Bond who's clearly specified of his profession, he's clearly a spy, he works at MI6, been debriefed by M at his office, there's certain files that includes his missions, the same that I don't remember happening in Ethan Hunt or in Mission Impossible in general.

Now, here's where I agree with you, I'm certainly on board with toning down the video game level of violence as in my mind, Bond wasn't supposed to be like that in the first place.

He's not like Hitman Agent 47 whose main profession was to be a hired assassin by a private organization and could do what he wants to do since he's out from the law, Bond is different, he's a spy, works for the Government, and had a military rank as a Reserved Commander, and those have limitations.

• DovyDovy Posts: 206MI6 Agent

It's interesting then that the producers who know what you describe have allowed Bond to go in that direction since Brosnan..... about emotions I was thinking more about the theme in the whole film rather than occasional scenes. You're right about Tracy. I just thought the films with Madeline were quite heavy in that regard. What bothers me a bit is the insistence of having Bond's love interests so much younger than himself.