Never Say Never Again

DovyDovy Posts: 206MI6 Agent

On the one hand the film was kind of flat, without much energy. But on the other hand, it feels more comfortable without all the video-game heavy violence and lots of gadgets. It didn't seem like one's typical Bond film of any type, and the storyline sort of drags along. It wasn't even until it was over half over that the storyline seemed to be part of the film. In a way I sort of prefer the calmer style NSNA, without all the anxiety and apocalyptic intensity.

I don't see that the film is all that similar to Thunderball, which was far more intense as well, even with Connery.

I didn't get the idea of how one of the bombs got under the president at the White House. How did that happen? Apparently there were parts of the film cut out. Anyway, that's my take on this film. I guess I still have to go back and write something about Dr. No and From Russia With Love.

Overall, I think I am partial to a Connery-Moore style of James Bond. Mature, experienced, seasoned, charming, confident, sort of invulnerable and upbeat. With the extra humor thrown in by Moore. But I think Connery was a bit too old for NSNA.

Comments

• MI6_HeadquartersMI6_Headquarters Posts: 168MI6 Agent
    edited November 2022

I though see NSNA as more action oriented than Thunderball which kinda drags in underwater scenes, and had a slower pacing.

NSNA, for all it's flaws was at least not slow, and the underwater scenes doesn't drag.

Thunderball didn't have a motorcycle chase between Bond and Fatima (my favorite part of the film), with Bond in motorcycle then Fatima in her red car, chasing Bond (with explosions?), it's a great action sequence.

The cast were also helped that they're not dubbed compared to Thunderball were all characters were dubbed and some of them are wooden at times.

Klaus Maria Brandauer's version of Largo had at least energy and sadism to him, matching Fleming's description of Largo to a T (an evil version of Bond, charismatic, playboy, arrogant and sadistic), he's the one that I see when reading Largo in the book.

Adolfo Celi's Largo was kinda bit boring and unmemorable, he's like an old man trying to be sophisticated, he's far from how Fleming described the character in the books, it also didn't helped that he's dubbed and comes across as a bit wooden in some scenes.

I though liked that Connery's attitude was a bit soft and a bit friendly in NSNA compared to Thunderball which he comes across as a creep (a creepy sexual predator), some scenes in Thunderball didn't aged well, particularly Connery Bond's attitude in there, here in NSNA, his portrayal of Bond is much better.

Connery might be younger in TB, but his portrayal of Bond is a lot more better in NSNA.

I'm not a fan of either scores, NSNA was kinda anemic and mediocre when it comes to the scores and music.

But TB score also comes off as repetitive in places (I still don't liked the 007 theme playing at the Junkanoo scenes, it's muddled along with the actual music from the Junkanoo festival).

So, because of those reasons above, I'm actually fond of NSNA, it's an improvement on Thunderball in some parts/aspects.

• MI6_HeadquartersMI6_Headquarters Posts: 168MI6 Agent

I though see NSNA as more action oriented than Thunderball which kinda drags in underwater scenes, and had a slower pacing.

NSNA, for all it's flaws was at least not slow, and the underwater scenes doesn't drag.

Thunderball didn't have a motorcycle chase between Bond and Fatima (my favorite part of the film), with Bond in motorcycle then Fatima in her red car, chasing Bond (with explosions?), it's a great action sequence.

The cast were also helped that they're not dubbed compared to Thunderball were all characters were dubbed and some of them are wooden at times.

Klaus Maria Brandauer's version of Largo had at least energy and sadism to him, matching Fleming's description of Largo to a T (an evil version of Bond, charismatic, playboy, arrogant and sadistic), he's the one that I see when reading Largo in the book.

Adolfo Celi's Largo was kinda bit boring and unmemorable, he's like an old man trying to be sophisticated, he's far from how Fleming described the character in the books, it also didn't helped that he's dubbed and comes across as a bit wooden in some scenes.

I though liked that Connery's attitude was a bit soft and a bit friendly in NSNA compared to Thunderball which he comes across as a creep (a creepy sexual predator), some scenes in Thunderball didn't aged well, particularly Connery Bond's attitude in there, here in NSNA, his portrayal of Bond is much better.

Connery might be younger in TB, but his portrayal of Bond is a lot more better in NSNA.

I'm not a fan of either scores, NSNA was kinda anemic and mediocre when it comes to the scores and music.

But TB score also comes off as repetitive in places (I still don't liked the 007 theme playing at the Junkanoo scenes, it's muddled along with the actual music from the Junkanoo festival).

So, because of those reasons above, I'm actually fond of NSNA, it's an improvement on Thunderball in some parts/aspects.

• DovyDovy Posts: 206MI6 Agent

Your comments are well taken. Maybe if and when I go back end rewatch them I'll catch your points. I just felt that in NSNA the story took over an hour to get going. Maybe I'm just affected by Craig. The more I think about NTTD the more I don't like that whole harsh and brutal negative style. Maybe I'm a bit partial to Moore's upbeat style.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,722MI6 Agent

I always think it’s a bit mad that the location switches from the Bahamas to the South of France, because they look pretty similar onscreen and have the same vibe.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,949MI6 Agent

dovy said:

I just felt that in NSNA the story took over an hour to get going.

perhaps because, in both versions, most of the first hour is spent at ShrubLands, which barely relates to the story proper

NSNA does improve on TB in that it gives him a solid clue at Shrublands which actually gives him a decent reason to go after Domino/Largo. In Thunderball he just goes to see them because she's Derval's sister, which isn't any kind of lead at all. NSNA's is cheesy but it at least links to the Flying Saucer.

What is Shrublands? Anyway, come to think of it, what would have happened had the two companies put out competing Bond films after NSNA? I presume that wasn't legally a possibility. Just wondering.

Shrublands is the health farm he attends at the beginning of both films.

edited November 2022

Right, I forgot the name.......Anyway, NSNA just seemed to be more relaxed and more to my liking, among other things despite the fact that I thought it was kind of flat.