Why aren't participants interested in discussing the films?

DovyDovy Posts: 206MI6 Agent

As a new participant I am struck that so few participants seem to want to get into the meat and potatoes of the James Bond films. We're only a relative couple of people discussing them, or maybe it's just my own film postings.

Comments

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,246MI6 Agent

I don’t think it’s anything to do with you Dovy, it’s just that most of the questions you ask have been discussed before, many times. It’s refreshing to see a new member interact so much, though, I hope you continue.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • MI6_HeadquartersMI6_Headquarters Posts: 168MI6 Agent

Nothing to do with you @Dovy my friend, but I think the majority of the members here were busy that maybe they have no time to engage in such discussions or some of them couldn't answer those questions that you're asking, it needs a brain to compose such a post to get into the discussion.

Or maybe they're not in the mood to discuss those, as they have a specific topic in mind to discuss like Bond 26 and etc.

That's my observation so far.....

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,356Chief of Staff

I've tried to give an answer to most of your posts, though not every individual question.

• DovyDovy Posts: 206MI6 Agent

Yes, but considering how many participants there are, the discussions are with very few of us. That's what I don't understand.

Your points are well taken MI6 and Coolhand. I enjoy reading about various insights from assorted participants about the films and their content. I didn't think it was about me, but about participation in the forums in general.

• Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

I’ve been a member on here for some, wow, 18 years now. I remember when I first joined there were a lot of Bond room tours and emphasis on props etc.

Certainly since Daniel Craig took on the role, I’ve seen a massive increase in the sartorial Bond posts and the members here have become unrivalled in identifying the clothes worn in the movies, making them accessible to everyone who otherwise might not have a clue.

Now, if your posts were about ID’ing a still unknown item of apparel you’d definitely be inundated with responses.

Ultimately, I think it’s all swings and roundabouts but I think my fellow members are also correct that a lot of what you’ve discussed has been before, hence the lack of responses.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,949MI6 Agent

@Dovy if you're really interested in what other peoples have to say about the Bond films: back when you first joined I pointed you to two existing threads where much discussion has already taken place, similar to the questions and comments you've been posting

Little Niggles  is a thread for exactly the sort of questions you've been asking, and you may find some answers there.

also we have the Last Bond movie you watched thread, for more general reviews and discussion about the films as you watch them

another thread I will point you to is the Pros and Cons Compendium: that itself is a list of links to 25 or 26 individual threads, one for each film, breaking down the film into bullet points of aspects each poster likes or does not like.

I notice you only ever reply to threads you yourself have started, so I suspect you have not been exploring the forum for what has already been said. But maybe that's OK. If you think we're boring now, we were really in the doldrums for months and months before you came along. You've done an excellent job of stimulating discussion about the films and that is to be applauded. I just went back two pages in this section of the forum, and almost every thread has been started by you, and almost all have had replies, some evolving into quite lengthy and interesting debates of ideas. Congratulations for waking us up, and keep the questions and comments coming!

edited December 2022

You have a point. But as a new Bond aficionado I am sort of focused mostly on the films and stories. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll work on that too. I still have to do my postings on Dr. No and From Russia with Love but I probably have to rewatch them because I have forgotten things.