What are your worst fears for B26 ?

Comments

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,952MI6 Agent

oh no! now you've typed it out, they're going to see how perfect that looks and adjust the schedule to make it so!

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,816MI6 Agent

At least he didn't write Bond26 2030!

Hold on ..... what did I just do? 😲

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,952MI6 Agent

yes but I'd be very happy if it was Bond30 in 2030

They could include as many death scenes and previously undisclosed foster brothers as they want, just so longs as they put out five new films in the next eight years

• writingsonthewallwritingsonthewall SpainPosts: 418MI6 Agent
    1. Delay after delay after delay.
    2. A bland script like Spectre.
    3. An uninteresting baddie/plot device.
    4. No Idris Elba as M.
    "Enjoy it while it lasts."
    "The very words I live by."
  • Glidrose007Glidrose007 Posts: 70MI6 Agent

My 2 biggest fears for Bond 26 -

1) they choose an actor that doesn't tie in with Fleming's original description of Bond.

2) the new script doesn't include any elements or unused scenes from the Fleming books.

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,971MI6 Agent
    edited May 2023

The shooter in the gunbarrel sequence is a grown-up Mathilde Bond and the new M is her mother. (Actually, that would be cool, provided Florence Pugh is cast as Mathilde.) Either that or we learn in a PTS flashback that Craig's Bond had left Madeleine pregnant with a second love child before he copped it: a son, James Bond Jr, who spends the first three new movies as a young Etonian with his chums and sister - in the Eton Trilogy arc - foiling meglomaniacal villains (and Uncle Blofeld's dastardly bastard offspring) before finally joining the Secret Service, like Papa, in the fourth movie. Morgan Freeman plays D, the Dean of Eton. And throughout this new series of films Craig returns in sentimental cameos, as a teary-eyed, wise old ghost (code name, '007 Prime') for his son's 'how-would-my-father-have-handled-this?'-type scenes, to the instrumental strains of 'We Have All The Time In The World'. The novelisations are serialised in 'The Daily Telegraph'.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,452MI6 Agent
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,283MI6 Agent

How close to the truth can you possibly get, Shady,,,,😉😉😉

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,971MI6 Agent

Let's hope not! :-) :-)

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.

this actually sounds really good, I'd pay to see it. anyone wanna make $15- (cdn) gonna make this film so I can see it?

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,148MI6 Agent

A Bond Actor I'm not at all keen on and/or just doesn't fit the description in any way.

A release date of 2026+

Too serious, dark, emotional with very few Bond tropes.

Bond teams up with a female agent or MI team, with way too much screen time.

Back story of the aforementioned characters.

A weak villain, story, script, soundtrack.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Glidrose007Glidrose007 Posts: 70MI6 Agent

Forget scenes - there are entire novels still unused. DAF, MR, TSWLM, YOLT, TMWTGG.

I'd like to see a return to gangsters. I wrote a blog on it here, which includes the unused scenes - http://broadcastingtechnologyindustry.blogspot.com/2021/12/ideas-for-bond-26-back-to-fleming-and.html

Large parts of those novels have been used. For example after the movies YOLT and NTTD there's not much unused material from the novel YOLT.

My main worry for Bond26 and the future of Bond is if they feel they have to make dramatic changes in every movie to give everyone an "arch" and to be modern. Some change is a must, but in the Craig era it seemed to have gone too far.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,728MI6 Agent

Skyfall used the ending of it too of course.

LTK followed the TMWTGG novel plot roughly too, apparently unintentionally. DAD was MR etc.

there still hasnt been a geyser torture scene yet, thatd be a good scene to adapt. also we havent seen Bond escape an exploding castle by holding on to a weather balloon. Hopefully, thats exactly the way Bond26 will begin!

• SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 409MI6 Agent

I wouldn't call it a fear but I don't know what BB and MGW think about the latest continuation novels. Have they read it ? To quote Cubby, going back to Fleming is the right thing to do when you don't know where to go with the character. Horowitz's work is a wonderful tribute to Fleming IMHO, and I think it would be a very solid material for the next movies.

I remember the first time I read Trigger Mortis. The part where Jason Sin asks one of his goons to pick a card to determine the way the man will die is so intense !

• Cam008Cam008 Posts: 45MI6 Agent

That Bond 26 onwards becomes infected by the woke mess that modern Hollywood has sadly become and screw any forced diversity casting to try to attract the Alphabet Mafia.

• JTullock23JTullock23 ArizonaPosts: 552MI6 Agent

Here are my Double-O Seven worst fears for B26:

1. A present day Bond dealing with present day issues. I am fine with a present day Bond, but I’d much rather have it be how Maverick was, no social commentary. I am 100% onboard with gay or nonbinary characters. I think Tilda Swinton as M, maybe a nonbinary M so sexuality doesn’t matter, might be near. Also, I rather liked the scene with Silva and Bond about it ‘being his first time’. They played that well.
    2. No more story arch like we had with Craig. I liked what happened during Craig’s tenure, but I don’t think we need more of it. Time for some Single Missions with some, not a ton of, continuity throughout is fine.
    3. Severely undercooked characters and storylines. I.E. Christoph Waltz/Bloefeld and the stepbrother BS.
    4. Code name theory. I’m fine with their continuing to be past 007s though. Like the opening line of Horowitz’s “Forever and a Day” about Double-O Seven being dead.
    5. No more DB5. Park it and leave it there.
    6. Female Bond. I’m all for strong female characters, but I feel Bond should stay a man.
    7. Lame car chases and action scenes. Loved Spectre but the car chase scene isn’t a chase.
    "History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC
  • SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 409MI6 Agent

I didn't expect to find here people worried about the code name theory ! Isn't FYEO's PTS the ultimate proof the man is unique ? Why would EON suddenly decide to adopt this ugly concept after 60 years of customs ? I can't believe BB and MGW could destroy Cubby's legacy (and Fleming's work) just to please some people (who are not real fans like us) unable to use suspension of disbelief and who don't understand (or don't want to) the notion of reboot.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,148MI6 Agent

Sadly, it could be argued that BB/MGW have already chipped away at Cubby's legacy and Fleming's work, whether inadvertently or not.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

And the reverse can easily be argued too.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,332MI6 Agent

With all the dinosaur-in-tar-pit grumbling about "wokeness," I'm surprised no one here is listing among their top fears that they won't live to see Bond 26!

edited May 2023

I feel fairly confident, but not entirely confident, that EON won't go too far in "modernizing" Bond. I'm sure they won't make Bond a woman, use the code name theory or have 007 stop killing people for example. But I do expect them to change the movies in some ways. The question is how, how much and will it be in ways that I will like?

• kristopherm3kristopherm3 Posts: 156MI6 Agent

After 'Brofeld' and signing off on Bond's death, does anyone here actually still believe there are any red lines Babs and Mickey won't cross?

Many of us in this forum would've laughed at the idea EON would ever sign-off on these things ten years ago.

That is to say I have no certainties about this franchise anymore - they can do literally anything whether or not it flies in the face of everything we understand about the character, the world he inhabits and the once sacrosanct formula that held it all together.

Because of this I'm not completely confident, but I don't think all bets are off. For example BB has said publicly that Bond will remain a man. I don't know what happens far into the future, but I'm sure Bond26 will star a male James Bond.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,283MI6 Agent

My worst fear - biggest fear, I suppose - is that I may simply not enjoy it.

edited May 2023

“After 'Brofeld' and signing off on Bond's death, does anyone here actually still believe there are any red lines Babs and Mickey won't cross?”

I can’t see the logic here. Did taking Bond to space and having him swing from a vine like Tarzan mean that there was no red line ol’ Fatty Berty Brocs wouldn’t cross? (Let’s use silly names for everyone, after all)

And how can they possibly know what your personal red lines are?

• kristopherm3kristopherm3 Posts: 156MI6 Agent

I don't think EON needed to consult me, a random guy on the internet, to find out that killing off the central character of their franchise and demoting his iconic archnemesis into a jealous foster brother, were two woeful ideas.

And no, I don't subscribe to the notion that a silly Tarzan sound effect that lasts all but five seconds and has no detrimental impact on the overall narrative is tantamount to the above.