Holy Trinity

Thoughts... ?

I'm always reviewing my Bond collection and going through the standard "I've not worn this ever, should I let it go" dilemma...

I'm just retired and this has meant a re-evaluation of my "stuff" as will no longer be wearing formal gear that often, if at all...

Was just thinking about pieces I couldn't bear to sell (BR / TF QoS Cardi / TF Harr) and then which is the better trinity...

QoS.

Skyfall

Skewered, one sympathises...

1. CR. 2. TSWLM. 3. LTK. 4. GF. 5. SF.

Comments

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent

Tricky one. I think personally I would go with exactly what you said originally: BR / TF QoS Cardi / TF Harrington. I think these are the most stylish though Barbour would prob sneak in as a quadrilogy to cover all bases lol

QoS would get my vote if I had to chose between the two films though

Instagram - bondclothes007
  • MailfistMailfist Posts: 241MI6 Agent

I agree difficult choice but QOS. Out of the two I would get more wear out of the QOS trio. The harrington jacket is more stylish that the menlo and if you have the peacoat probably less likely to wear the Barbour.

But two great sets of clothes.

Health and happiness to enjoy your retirement.

• canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent

This is a tough one. But if I have to choose: The QoS Trinity. It's just a beautiful collection and (imho) it's more versatile and practical. The cardigan can be used year round and layered over/under other pieces depending on the temperature. The Harrington is all-time classic style and can do no wrong as a casual jacket. And the bridge coat is warmer than the unlined BR pea coat, so it will work better as a winter coat (plus longer coats are making a big comeback). Great idea for a thread!

• 007JBDCMWR007JBDCMWR Posts: 2,517MI6 Agent

Suppose we could alter the thread to "your personal favourite 3 items"?

I was thinking: Choose one coat or jacket from each Craig film to create your perfect collection πŸ€”

πŸ‘

CR - Armani

QoS - TF Harrington

Skyfall - BR Peacoat

SPECTRE - JV

NTTD - errrrrr

I'm with you but...

I'd cheat and add the the CG Lodge in place of the JV. Just to make it a everyday use perfect blend...

Maybe throw the Barbour in NTTD for wet days

• armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 674MI6 Agent

Hot take alert: I'd keep the Menlo and Barbour from Skyfall; IMO they are the truly unique pieces that replicas just don't match.

But you can find a million black shawl wool cardigans and Harringtons (and even peacoats) if you look online.

Thus, Skyfall is the special trinity.

Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent

It's the lining change that really makes the difference on the Barbour v the replicas.

I find the Menlo a bit boxy so rarely wear mine. You are of course correct about the TF Harrington and Cardigan however I have yet to come across a version so beautifully made - in particular the Harrington

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,452MI6 Agent

I agree about the TF pieces being beautifully made and not as easy to replicate as one might think. My cardigan is getting some wear on it after all these years and I despair of the cost of replacing it.

From a purely practical standpoint I’d go with the QoS trio but the SF jackets are more my personal style.

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    edited January 2023

I lusted after the Menlo for years. When I finally got one I was underwhelmed and hardly wore it.

Yes. Considerably!
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,452MI6 Agent

I get compliments on mine all the time, often from people who don’t know what it is and want to know where to get one. πŸ˜‚

CR: M's Apartment barleycorn overcoat (I'm on a long coat kick lately)

QoS: gotta be the Harrington

SF: Barbour; weird fit but just a really unique jacket.

SP: tough one. On the one hand, I'd like to have the Matchless, just to get a leather jacket in the mix. But the TF Solden would be more practical. I'll go with the Matchless.

NTTD: as @welshboy78 said. It's basically a choice between the Cuba Barbour, Matera Connolly or that corduroy dressing gown they called a "duster". So it'll have to be the Barbour for me. Unless I can just choose the Matera corduroy suit jacket as a stand alone piece.

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent

I never had anyone say anything about it either good or bad ever. I really wanted to love it but in the end hardly ever wore it. It did look good on DC though πŸ˜€

Yes. Considerably!
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent

M, I can't disagree with your trinity picks.

Best piece per film:

• CR - Armani
    • QoS - TF Harrington
    • SF - Billy Reid Peacoat
    • SP - Can I take a punt and say the JV Split Seam Martian Jacket which Matchless copied? Otherwise JV Cafe Racer.
    • NTTD - Matera Connolly. It's perfect for my warm weather climate. I wear it often in summer and autumn.

Top three actual Bond pieces: Armani, TF Harrington, and BR Peacoat.

Favourite per film:

CR - M flat topcoat

QOS - TF harrington

SF - BR peacoat. Just beat the Barbour.

SP - John Vavatos navy rider jacket. Just wins out over the Altaussee Dior Homme

NTTD - I do not like or would I wear a single jacket/coat from this film. I know it seems to be a favourite among a lot of members but for me the Rogue Territory jacket, and indeed the whole garage outfit, is probably the most unBond (is that a word) like outfit in the entire series. As far as the duster coat goes I assume Daniel must have been worried the parts would dry up after Bond and fancied a job as a school janitor. The Matera Connelly jacket is an odd design.

The best thing that can be said about NTTD is that it is my least expensive Bond film. The only thing I bought after seeing it was a pair of gray jeans.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,332MI6 Agent

The RT jacket is "un-Bond" because they're likely not his clothes; he was rescued at sea by a freighter and likely had to borrow some crew kit. Great, wearable and even oddly versatile jacket in real life, though.

Hadn't thought that the outfit might have come from the ship's crew. Now if that had been Rog or Pierce one of the freighter crew would have had a perfectly cut Brione suit hanging in their locker.πŸ˜€

• Matt BMatt B Posts: 372MI6 Agent

Ohhh, good topic..

CR - peacoat opening scene

QOS- Harrington without a doubt

SF- Barbour tied with peacoat - peacoat probably wins as it’s so “Bond”.

Spectre - ski blouson is old school elegant and yet feels modern.

NTTD - …the Commando sweater is awesome and I bought two but otherwise pass..