alternative for Skyfall Adidas trainers @ JD Sports (close match)

AgentCJ19AgentCJ19 Posts: 52MI6 Agent

sorry if these have been posted already.

Stumbled upon these today in person by complete fluke. To me they look like they might be the most screen accurate available ever?

white platform, light blue stripes and dark heel !

and on sale for £60

https://m.jdsports.co.uk/product/blue-adidas-originals-handball-spezial/16536267/

Not sure if the shoe style is exact but from memory looks pretty close (I’m still out and about)

Comments

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent

They’re the wrong model unfortunately. Adidas Gazelle’s were the Skyfall trainers.

Yes. Considerably!
  • AgentCJ19AgentCJ19 Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    edited January 2023

Thats true but it seems more nuanced than that, from what I can see online "Handball Spezial" is a modern version of the Gazelle, "Spezial" is almost a sub brand that has multiple types and the handball is the take on the traditional gazelle from what I can make out (they certainly look the same)

The biggest difference seems to be the under sole - I think colour way wise this is certainly the closest to the movie and possibly design wise too (then again the only other navy with light blue is also a Spezial)

"The Adidas Gazelle, supposedly named after Adidas-sponsored US sprinter Wilma Rudolph who earned the nickname "The Black Gazelle" at the 1960 Olympics, weren't originally known for their variety of colorways. At first, the Gazelle was a training shoe, and it only came in red or blue. The red edition was meant for handball, so the story goes, while the blue was designed for harder training sessions. What made them unique was the shoe's use of suede, a first for Adidas."

that said I am far from a sneakerhead so others may correct me

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    edited January 2023

Gazelle was the ones used for Skyfall. Got the same pair at home - back in the day I scrambled to grab a pair online before they sold out. They look a little different to the ones posted above Pictured with my Patrice trainers!

Instagram - bondclothes007

what are the differences? I know in the movie they used Gazelle but the design is almost identical and the colour actually matches the movie with the dark heel

further research reveals I was wrong the Gazelle is actually based on the original Spezial: https://www.80scasualclassics.co.uk/blog/adidas-gazelle-indoor-trainer-history/

Def the closest currently available

• 007Downunder007Downunder Hobart, Australia Posts: 373MI6 Agent

Weird I saw them on JD and bought a pair I liked the look of them and a lot cheaper than Nike air Jordan and dunks

Anthony

I see the difference between the Spezial and the Gazelle now - very similar designs but the Spezial front by the toes is more elongated to the sides - updated title to reflect - still a close enough match for £60,and after a day of wearing them bloody comfy!