Is there anything NEW you want to see in Bond26?

Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,835MI6 Agent
edited January 2023 in Bond 26

There's a lot most Bond fans want to see in future movies, such as the tux, the Walther PPK etc.

But is there anything new you want to see (apart from new actors) in the future?

I can think of one: I want the roles of M and Miss Moneypenny to change somewhat. M is the leader of MI6 and handles interactions with the PM and other politicians. He/she also makes the big, strategic decisions such as who should be assassinated. M does not handle details and does not follow the agents around the world. M also has an oversight role when it comes to the 00-section.

Miss Moneypenny handles the day-to-day running of the 00-section. While M gives the go-ahead for major operations such as an assassination, Moneypenny takes part in the planning and gives the briefing. She can even visit agents in the field.

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,835MI6 Agent

I agree. I want to see a little more of the other 00-agents. But while they're a group, it's a group of people who usually work alone and Bond is the best of them.

edited January 2023

How on earth did I manage to place this thread here? Could Barbel please move it to the Bond26 sub-forum?

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,460Chief of Staff

Done 🙂

edited January 2023

Thanks.

My next suggestion is about casting. It's not entirely new, but it was hardly done in Craig's tenure. Almost all of Craig's leading ladies were French or partly French. None were born outside of Europe, even when she was supposed to be from Latin America. Only one main villain wasn't European, and he was from the US. The casting agents should cast a wider net. What about India, east Asia, Africa and the countries south of Rio Grande? Because of the fame and status of the Bond movies they can hire the best and most famous actors in other countries. We get to see new faces and their home markets gets to see their stars in a Bond movie. It's a win-win situation!

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,737MI6 Agent
    edited January 2023

That's good fun. I thought it might make sense to make M the head of just the Double-0s rather than MI6, because it does seem a bit silly to have the head of the entire service briefing agents personally, but I think I might even prefer your idea more. Maybe 'Moneypenny' even becomes a codename!

edited January 2023

I don't want Moneypenny to be a codename, but I do think the female secretary waiting outside M's padded office door is getting a bit old-fashioned. I'm not alone in thinking judi Dench's M went too far (litterally and figuratively) when she followed 007 all over the world. It makes more sense to expand Moneypenney's role and M is focusing on the bigger picture.

Back to my point about more international casting. After a few quick searches I found three stars from huge movie markets. All three are among the top ten movie stars in their home countries and none of them are known in the English-speaking market.

Antonio Inoki is Japanase/Brazilian and is both an actor and pro wrestler:

Hrithik Roshan is a huge star in Bollywood:

Ntare Guma Mbaho Mwine from Uganda. Ranked by Los Angeles Times as one of the biggest breakout stars of Sundance 2020.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent

I’d like to see Bond depicted at leisure and actually enjoying himself, even if only briefly. While that’s not completely “new”, if would represent a shift from the last nearly two decades of films.

Number 24, I think your idea about re-jiggering MI6 is a good one. I think that’s ripe for a shakeup.

RRR?

edited January 2023

For this restructuring of MI6 to work I think M needs to be male. Having both of James Bond's bosses being female will set off some groups in a bad way and the conversation becomes about that.

I can easily see Idris Elba as M and Rose Leslie (Ygrette in GoT) as Moneypenny with this set-up.

• MepharielMephariel Posts: 15MI6 Agent

Idea #1: Competing villains. Has this been done before in a Bond film? Imagine a multi-film arc where two villains want to control the world's rare mineral supplies but the second villain remains a mystery until later films. Then you can do something creative, like have henchmen fight each other (Jaws vs Mr. Hinx, for example) while Bond is caught in the middle.

Idea #2: A villain that hunts James Bond with equal charm, skills, and intelligence. I would like a story where Bond is gathering clues to locate the lair of the villain while this villain is gathering clues to find out where Bond is. They also compete for the same woman.

Idea #3: Other 00 agents as someone else said. And I am actually ok if Bond isn't the best if he is meant to be a rookie. I would like a to see what 00s talk to each other about. Like Bond getting advice from another 00 and vice versa.

Idea #4: A story where Bond recruited the rest of the M16 members while encountering their talents in the field.

Idea #5: A story about an exclusive and mysterious social media club that tied to several sinister events in the movie.

Idea #6: A story where Bond is not fighting a modern day megalomaniac, but cultists, liberation groups, survivalists, etc. in remote areas.

Interesting suggestions, so keep them coming!

(But M16 is a rifle, MI6 is Bond's employer)

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent

Inoki passed away in October at the age of 79. Be kind of difficult for him to be in the next Bond film. Knew he was a famous wrestler but was not aware he did films. Rest in Peace.

RIP. Thanks for the info.

• OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 584MI6 Agent

Yes, PLEASE! Craig-Bond last had fun sometime in 2006, I wonder if that's why I still like his debut most of all his films?

"I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."

I think CraigBond had more fun and the movies progressed, obviously not counting the end of NTTD. I'd say CraigBond had the most fun in SP and NTTD. Pushing the opera-lover with his Aston, stealing the Aston, jumping on the London tube "just changing carriages" etc.