If EON used an author as a screenwriter again, who?

Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,815MI6 Agent
edited February 2023 in Bond 26

Bond movies are usually written by professional screenwriters, but there are two examples of book authors contributing: Roald Dahl in YOLT and George Donald Fraser (Flashman) in OP. Maybe they could do this again?

I'd like to see Lee Child (of the Jack Reacher books) to write it. Antony Horowitz would be great too, but he shared his time between writing novels and screenplay so that's maybe a little bit of a cheat.

What author(s) would you like to see writing Bond26?

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,728MI6 Agent

Yeah Horowitz is a screenwriter so I guess he makes sense, although I'm not sure he's ever done anything quite like that. He did a brilliant job adapting his own Magpie Mysteries for TV recently; in that he completely threw out the narrative structure of his novel to make it work in a different way on TV, which I'm not sure you'd see many authors doing if they were adapting their own work.

• MI6_HeadquartersMI6_Headquarters Posts: 168MI6 Agent

I second Anthony Horowitz.

Also Raymond Benson or Kim Sherwood, maybe?

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,815MI6 Agent
    edited February 2023

It's too late now obviously, but I wonder what a Bond movie co-written by Wilbur Smith would've been like. I think a RM Bond movie written by Smith where a lot of the story takes place in Africa is a lost oportunity.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,630Chief of Staff

Whilst I enjoy the Reacher novels, I don’t want Lee Child anywhere near Bond…he’s just all wrong…

YNWA 97
    edited February 2023

Really? I have a suggestion that's probably even more controversial: Jo Nesbø. He's obviously very good at plots and creating tension. Nesbø can also do good action scenes ("Headhunter"), work with characters created by another author ("Macbeth") and use unusual locations ("More blood").

Both are good at selling books…I’m not sure either are good scriptwriters though 🤔

Who knows though? And I doubt we will ever find out 🤷🏻‍♂️

YNWA 97

I too very much doubt we'll find out.

edited February 2023

While EON almost certainly will use full time screenwriters, there are many authors who did well as screenwriters. John Irving got an Oscar for the script of The Cider House Rules. John Steinbeck, William Faulkner, Margreth Atwood F. Scott Fitzgerald are other examples. George R.R. Martin started writing for the screen, now he does both.

How many of those adapted books and how many wrote original screenplays?

YNWA 97

John Irving adopted his own book "The cider house rules". The rest I have to check.

edited January 25

Fitzgerald, Faulkner, Atwood and Steinbeck wrote original screenplays. Both George R.R. Martin and Chrichton adopted their own novels and wrote screenplay from scratch.

• RevelatorRevelator Posts: 586MI6 Agent

I also second Horowitz. He knows Bond inside out and has demonstrated that he can write effectively for visual media.